PDA

View Full Version : Types of panic attacks

Keep going
21-05-07, 23:22
On thursday last week i went for a consoltation on a course the nhs and job centre run. While i was talking to the councellor we got talking about panic attacks. and she told me that there was more than one type of panic attack. I thought panic attacks we just high anxiety, fast heart rate sweating. which i get but not that bad. but i was told also you can tense up, basically freeze. I get extreme neck and shoulder tension which results in cramp or its like when somebody makes you jump. so is this a type of panic attack.

stu

judipat
21-05-07, 23:41
Hi Stu

I dont know whether there are different types of panick attacks, but I would say that people experience different symptoms. For me, there are mild to moderate to full blown panick attacks. Even though I know they are panic attacks, the sympton i get, hyperventilating, pains in my chest, headaches etc etc - leave me feeling so ill, its still hard to accept that these symptoms are not something much worse. Whatever your severity of anxiety/panic attacks, its hard to explain the shear agony of them to people unless you've been through it.

Hope u are ok

Judi:)

yorkylover
21-05-07, 23:52
Hi I agree with Judi,People tend to get different symptoms with anxiety.:hugs:

clickaway
22-05-07, 00:18
We are all indivduals and all are panic attacks are different.

Sometimes, it's best not to dwell too much on the subject and let the panic happen however it is!

jill
22-05-07, 09:09
Hi Stu,

I have herd this too, but what I have read is, that when the flight, fight respons kicks in (panic attack) your mind will do one of 2 things, you will either want to run, get away, you feel in danger and you want to run away from it, OR, you feel soooo scared, you feel danger and you freeze, you stop in your stracks, trying to hide from the danger.

I have read many times on these forums how sufferers want to run away, run out of the shop, get to there safe zone, (home) or somewhere they feel safe.

As for me,when I was acute, I Froze, kept very still, as if I was stuck to the floor, felt like I could not move, just wanted to curl up in a ball, be still, be sooo quiet, hide from the danger and fear I felt.

Do you think, this is what councellor ment?

For me, what I found helped was trying soo hard to do the Opposite of what by mind was telling me to do, this can be sooo hard when it seems to come on you out of the blue.

The last mmm, I will say high anxiety, don't like to give these feelings to much importants and call it panic, so high anxiety attack I had was boarding a plane last year. It did seem to come out of the blue and I froze, the flight attendent only asked me for my ticket and I froze, blinkin hell, I could not move, very scary, just lost my thoughts for a sec, then thought of this site, the only thing I could think of at that time to distract myself was singing 99 bottles of bear on the wall. I pushed myself to move, to do the oppisite of what my mind was telling me, this did work, with trying sooo hard to distract myself too. The flight was ok, I went on to have a good hol.

So, if you are the other one and want to run, try dame hard to stand your ground, stay, ride the panic out, distract yourself, ohhh boy, this sounds easy, but its not, its takes alot of hard work and time to parctice.

Not sure if I've been of any help, but thats me, working on my probs of confidance at the mo. Just thought that this is what the councellour may of ment.

You take care

LOVE JILLXX