PDA

View Full Version : Obsessed?

julieG
23-05-07, 10:04
Is anyone completely obsessed with their anxiety? My very first thought on waking is 'anxiety' - it lasts almost all day, but this initial thought sets me up for a bad day - if i dont feel anxious immediately im waiting for it to happen!

Can anyone give me any tips on how to stop?!?! I'm sure if i can train myself to think of something else as soon as I open my bl**dy eys I wont have so many bad days!

I remember a couple of months ago, for about 3 days, it was about 30 minutes after waking that I first thought 'anxiety!' and I was so pleased with myself. Unfortunatley I dont know how I did it? :wacko:

Any ideas warmly welcomed!!

Thank you.

julieG

blackie
23-05-07, 10:22
Hiya
yeah, i spend most of the day worring about worring. Distraction is the best thing for me.
Take care
Blackie

sarah1984
23-05-07, 20:39
Anxiety in its very nature is obsessive and can easily take over your life. Like Blackie says, distraction is a good idea-try and get going and busy when you wake up rather than lying in bed and allowing the fear to take over. I know how you feel all too well-it's like being trapped in a cocoon or a prison cell. Have you enquired about CBT at all? Even if it's not readily available, there are plenty of good books around that teach you about challenging anxiety and negative thought patterns. I would particularly recommend The Worry Cure by Robert Leahy and Feeling Good by David Burns. You have to really work at it but it does make those frightening thoughts a lot more manageable and less threatening.

Ellen70
23-05-07, 20:40
Sorry Julie, I am in the same boat as you regarding anxiety. It never leaves my mind, not for a second.
Sorry.

Eibhlin