PDA

View Full Version : protonix(pantoprazole) help...

ItWillPass
12-11-04, 23:23
Hey all-
I wrote earlier about terrible stomach issues... my dr gave me this medication to take, but i hate taking anything! I was just wondering if anyone here ever took it, and what their experience was. Its an antacid i think... its called protonix. any help would be great. thanx all

twister
12-11-04, 23:36
Hi Heidi

This is what I found online, seems harmless enough to me

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Why is this medication prescribed?
Pantoprazole is in a class of drugs called proton pump inhibitors. It is used for short-term treatment of heartburn and injury of the food pipe (esophagus) caused by backward flow of acid from the stomach. It decreases the amount of acid made in the stomach.

This medicine is sometimes prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.

How should this medicine be used?
Pantoprazole comes as an extended-release (long-acting) tablet to take by mouth. It is usually taken once a day, with or without food. Do not split, chew, or crush the tablets; swallow them whole. Pantoprazole is usually taken for 8 weeks, but your doctor may want you to take it for another 8 weeks if your esophagus has not healed. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Take pantoprazole exactly as directed. Do not take more or less of it or take it more often than prescribed by your doctor.

Symptoms of heartburn and injury to the esophagus should improve within 8 weeks of beginning pantoprazole. If your symptoms do not improve, or if they worsen, call your doctor. Once you and your doctor are sure the drug works for you, continue to take pantoprazole even if you feel well. Do not stop taking pantoprazole without talking to your doctor.

</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Emily

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
Understanding is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

Meg
13-11-04, 22:52
Hi ,

Liz- stimpy - is on this and has found good relief . You might want to email her.

Its essentially one of the newer PPI proton pump inhibitors and is well tolerated.

If you're taking Vit B , then take it at the opposite side of the day as it needs some stomach acid to be absorbed fully.

Meg

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

nomorepanic
13-11-04, 23:53
I take something similar called Losec and it is fantastic at curing it after only one day. I take it with blood pressure meds and no problems so I am sure it will be fine and it cures it very quickly!

Good luck

Nicola