PDA

View Full Version : Smoking

Copsgrl8
24-05-07, 03:38
Hello

I believe in my head I have some kind of heart problem even though I have been cleared many times.
Anyway I do smoke not a heavy smoker but I smoke never the less.

If I "think" I have heart problems WHY do I continue to smoke. My husband says becasue I know deep down inside I don't have heart troubles.
I know I need to quit and I am trying but I was wondering if anyone else smoked?:huh:

eeyorelover
24-05-07, 05:00
Yep-
been trying to quit for years with no success!!!
I have no sage advice to give cuz I have never found anything that has worked for me to help me quit!!
I know that it's a habit but it's also an addiction to nicotine.
Some people have quit cold turkey and it worked great for them. Me - I quit cold turkey and turned into the Exorcist (without the pea soup - LOL)
xxx
Sandy

judipat
24-05-07, 07:05
yes, I smoke too - and too much. in fact, it gets worse if I'm anxious. I suppose some people turn to alcohol (i dont drink) and some people turn to food etc. I turn to ciggys. I think about giving up all the time, I'm thinking of trying hypnotherapy.
I suffer with hyperventilation and chest pains as symptoms of my anxiety/panic attacks. Because I smoke, I've convinced myself in the past that I've got lung cancer, heart disease, you name it - all because I smoke. Its an addiction.
Take care

Judi

nanny
24-05-07, 08:19
hi

me too i smoke and damn well worry everythime i light up, pathetic isn't it?
i worry i'll get this, that, and the other but can i give it up can i heck.

Hubby has just given up, he went to a no smoking clinic and instead of having patches or any other nicotine replacement he chose to take ZYBAN which is an 8 week course of 2 tablets a day which do something to the old brain and tells you that you do not want a ciggi, well it's worked for him he hasn't had a ciggi for 7 weeks now BUT although they helped he says it's still will power most of the time and that i can believe.
Thing is smoking today i think (it does me anyway) makes you feel like an outcast, makes you self conscious about smelling etc etc etc,
but i can't give it up.................:shrug: :lac:

blackie
24-05-07, 09:03
Hiya hun
I use to smoke for 6 years. I smoked about 20 a day so i wasnt a very heavy smoker. I managed to quit this january for a new years resolutions and its been nearly 5 months.
The first week was hard but it got alot easier after that. And nicotine patches really made the difference to me. I feel so much better now and so glad i managed to do it. Although it was my third attempt and i had been tring to quit for about 2 years so its not easy.
Take care hun
Blackie

nanny
24-05-07, 09:09
Hi Blackie
A BIG WELL DONE:hugs:

Wish i could do it, but like you said not so easy............

nanny
24-05-07, 10:39
Hi Sky

I totally agree with you about the dr thing, if you had a broken leg they'd blame it on smoking!! i also think they do the same thing with anxiety, you got a pain "oh thats anxiety" so. their probably right sometimes as this can cause loads of problems BUT they COULD look into it to give us peace of mind.

Anyway going back to the no smoking in july, B****** hell we won't be able to BURP soon (i would have said something else if i wasn't such a lady lol lol )
What really annoys me is............. if you are a drug addict ( and i am not taking it away from them the fact they need help, not at all ) if you went in hospital say, you'd be given methadone to help with the withdrawel BUT you smoke which is one of the if not THE most addictive things you can do they expect you to just stop, same as on planes etc, take america, if you were to go there it would do your head in not being able to have a ciggi for at least 8/11 hours all depends where your going, so i wouldn't go. see sad isn't it how we let it rule our lives. I had better stop right now or i'll be getting on my soap box :zipit:

vernon
24-05-07, 11:05
Blackie big well done you done well and should be proud of yourself. I was also thinking of hypnosis, I tried the NHS clinic and only lasted a few days, I have been smoking over 40 years now and often think well the damage is already done. I have had different breathing problems over the years and convinced myself it was cancer and now I have had a sore throat since november and keep convincing myself its throat cancer, I went to ENT the other day after months of waiting and he put a tube up my nose to look at my throat and said it was clear and it could be reflux, even though i never get heartburn, But he has ordered for me to go for a bigger tube further down my throat as he said I smoke heavy and am over 50. I started smoking double last summer when my son went to LA for a holiday and got knocked over and nearly died he is much better now but has done loads of brain damage. We are all scared stiff but keep smoking LOL/ Take care all. Vernon

blackie
24-05-07, 12:12
Hiya
Thanks nanny and vernon for you support.
:hugs: :hugs:

Firefly
24-05-07, 14:09
Copsgrl - I have a suggestion as to why you continue to smoke even though you have health anxiety and worry about heart problems...

It is the same reason why none of us can just STOP worrying about our health. Deep down, there is some reason why we continue to to do it...it provides us with some sort of positive result.

For exmaple, when I used to get pains in my leg, I would end up in emergency thinking I had a blood clot in my leg. The doctor would run tests and give me a clean bill of health. This would be suffice for a short period of time until my next health issue would come back up and I would worry again. This worry is giving me some sort of payoff or else I would not be doing it.

What I am trying to say is that smoking is giving you some sort of payoff, and it could be that it is supporting your health anxiety.

Bottom line is too that smoking is relaxing, and aren't we all looking to relax? :)

samc100
24-05-07, 15:13
Following on from your point Firefly about advantages of smoking - I was talking to my therapist this week and we did some breathing excercises.

One thing that smoking ( if you inhale properly) does is make you breathe correctly as it goes to the bottom of your chest and not just the top part which makes you get palpatations.

Not that it is a reason to smoke - she says in a stern voice. I smoked about 5 a day ( 20 if drinking) but stopped when I got pregnant. It was actually easy though I took up knitting stupid squares to keep my hands occupied.

blackie
24-05-07, 18:05
Samc100
My gramdma would be prowd of the knitting squares. She makes em into blankets. Give up smoking and do a good turn

Firefly
24-05-07, 19:16
Good point samc100!~

LucyE
11-04-09, 06:08
i smoke. i need to stop to get recionstructive surgery done on my ear after it was burnt ina fire (caused by smoking oh welll).

but i find i smoke a lot more if i am anxious it calms me down.

love
LucyE

Plumpetals
11-04-09, 07:32
I used to be a heavy smoker (1 ½ - 2 packs a day for about 8 years) and then one day, after realizing I was out of breath climbing just one flight of stairs – and how bad my curtains and clothes stank of cigarette smoke, I just stopped. I didn’t tell myself I was quitting, I just told myself that I would have one if I wanted one. It just so happens that I had a cigarette after 3 years. I’ve smoked on and off for the past few years. When I’m socializing or stressed, I have a few, but I’m very laid back about it. The facts about the consequences of smoking are very clear – and the physical effects that it has on my body – dry mouth, wheezing, lack of energy – are the things that bug me the most. Still, I don’t beat myself up about having a cigarette every now and then. Not putting this pressure on myself has really helped me reduce the cravings and the reaction of reaching for a cigarette as soon as I feel stressed.

Hope you’ve had luck dealing with your smoking issues!

sahara
11-04-09, 09:02
You can give up smoking when are ready and if you really want too. No point struggling before you are really ready though

I have smoked for 10 years and I gave up in Nov last year so it has bee 5 months now. I feel great. So much more energy and funnily enough in some respects less jittery because I am not worrying about when I will get my next ciggie.

I know I can deal with any anxiety without my fags because I have had enough aniety attacks since then.

Not a lecture at all because boy do I know how hard it is - just trying to say you can do it when you are ready!