PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on how to deal with a worry that I know I shouldn't have

BrokenGirl
03-08-17, 11:40
A few months ago I had a breast cancer scare. It was one symptom after another and i really got into a bad spiral over it. One of the "symptoms" that I had worried me and I rang my doctor at the time and she reassured me over the phone that it wasn't a symptom of anything sinister. A few weeks later I had a mammogram anyway and got the all clear.
Now this "symptom" is back and I just can't stop worrying about it the way I was a few months ago. I know - a doctor told me it was nothing and I had a mammogram, so why can't I stop worrying? I know deep down that I shouldn't be worrying about it but it's as if the HA is completely taking over my mind.
Has anything like this ever happened to anybody and if so how did you deal with it or even overcome it?
Maybe I need a good kick up the behind to set me on the right track!!!!

swajj
03-08-17, 11:46
What's the symptom? It's hard to comment without knowing what you are talking about.

BrokenGirl
03-08-17, 11:57
What's the symptom? It's hard to comment without knowing what you are talking about.

Sorry swajj, I didn't know if I should or shouldn't put in the symptom.
One of my nipples seems to have lost some of its sensitivity. It had improved for a while over the last few months, until last night.......
And that nipple always seemed to be a bit more sensitive than the other one.
I just don't know why this is getting into my head again.

swajj
03-08-17, 12:15
You need to listen to your doctor. Maybe it isn't as sensitive as it used to be. Maybe the fact that you are worrying about it being less sensitive is making it less sensitive. One thing I know about HA is that it completely screws up your perception of things. We think things like "I'm sure it didn't look or feel like that before". You had a mammogram and your doctor has assured you that you don't have BC. You don't.

ktdid2000
03-08-17, 14:36
I've had this problem on and off for almost a year now. I'm currently breastfeeding and I started getting really bad pains, especially on my right side. My nursling at the time was biting me almost every time we nursed (OUCH!), but even after he stopped biting the pain continued.

I finally went to see the doc who ordered an ultrasound of both breasts. They found some cysts but nothing else and so they sent me on my way assuming it was nerve damage from the biting and poor latch (of course they can't prove that's what it is, but the testing was all negative so it's not BC).

I'm still worried about BC of course, and when the pain comes back from time to time I still get worried. I have to keep reminding myself that it's already been looked at and there's nothing to be worried about. Usually the pain will go away eventually and I'll forget about it for awhile until it happens again! :(

Annaboodle
03-08-17, 15:46
Hi,

It was only your last post when I realised you were breastfeeding and so before that had been pregnant. Both can completely screw with the sensitivity of your nipples, shape, size and everything else of your breasts. I couldn't feel one of my nipples AT ALL by the end of feeding my second.

You can't stop worrying because you're having health anxiety. If the doctors' reassurances and all the tests don't help then prob best to see them again but specifically about health anxiety.

BrokenGirl
03-08-17, 16:55
Hi,

It was only your last post when I realised you were breastfeeding and so before that had been pregnant. Both can completely screw with the sensitivity of your nipples, shape, size and everything else of your breasts. I couldn't feel one of my nipples AT ALL by the end of feeding my second.

You can't stop worrying because you're having health anxiety. If the doctors' reassurances and all the tests don't help then prob best to see them again but specifically about health anxiety.

I think you must have mistaken me for one of the other posters. I have 2 kids but I never breastfed.
I'm going to head out and go for a walk now to clear my head. I hate when these irrational thoughts take over - they are just so hard to shake off :weep:

Thanks for replying anyway everyone. I guess I'll just have to try and ride it out and hopefully I'll start seeing some sense soon....