PDA

View Full Version : Registrations temporarily suspended

venusbluejeans
03-08-17, 12:07
All new Registrations to the NMP website are currently suspended while we work on our influx of spammers. We will turn them back on when the problem is sorted.
Thank you.

Elen
03-08-17, 12:43
Ty emmz and nic

Bigboyuk
03-08-17, 13:41
Yes I agree It's huge task to tackle multiple IP addresses signing up just to cause havoc on a forum like ours it's really sad and annoying at the same time. Just a thought we have a lot of trusted members on here could certain ones become Spam Busters I know of one forum that I use that has this system in place and uses trusted members to deal with such posts it would certainly help the mods in this fight against this sort of large scale spamming, what do others think about setting up a dedicated team of Spam Busters?? And thank you to the people behind the scenes who are dong their best to stop this :) Cheers

MyNameIsTerry
03-08-17, 18:52
No doubt this problem is one for all of you on that spam buster site so hopefully they will find a solution for everyone? At least this stops them so you aren't on here all day deleting!

I wondered at one point if the site would go down while a solution was being worked on.

nomorepanic
03-08-17, 18:53
We are hoping the "robots" get bored and move on to another site!

KK77
03-08-17, 19:28
If this gets any worse, I'm afraid I will have to unleash the NMP secret weapon: BB singing to the "robots".

You know it will kill off anything within earshot :scared15:

bottleblond
03-08-17, 20:41
Oi don't you slate my singing!. Nic and Alex know what a fab voice I have. :winks:

KK77
03-08-17, 20:46
Of course, BB :rolleyes:

bottleblond
03-08-17, 21:03
Rude!. :lac: Where is Alex when I need defending?.

KK77
03-08-17, 21:09
Rude!. :lac: Where is Alex when I need defending?.

Why, I'm here of course, Hoggy :roflmao:

bottleblond
03-08-17, 22:58
Why, I'm here of course, Hoggy :roflmao:

Have I actually sang at you though?. I don't think I have. Or have I?. :shrug:

KK77
03-08-17, 23:40

http://www.sherv.net/

*Runs*

---------- Post added at 23:40 ---------- Previous post was at 23:38 ----------

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/sad/upset-smiley-emoticon.gif

Pea Tear Griffin
04-08-17, 23:52
Its probably a teen using a spam tool downloaded from HF :roflmao:Script kiddie by what I have seen of it & to do it to a forum such as this is very odd.

Please don't block VPN IP ranges as I use one to connect all the time.

MyNameIsTerry
06-08-17, 04:38
I'm afraid the bot has just started up again! :mad: Hopefully you can still have some of your Sunday left to relax afterwards.

venusbluejeans
06-08-17, 11:10
The registrations have now been turned back off again *sigh*

NancyW
06-08-17, 13:35
Nice clean up job :-)

I really don't understand the point of a bot doing this.. to what benefit is it?

On some sites when registering there's a combination of numbers and letters that must be submitted to verify you're not a bot.. could we get something like that?

nomorepanic
06-08-17, 13:45
Nice clean up job :-)

I really don't understand the point of a bot doing this.. to what benefit is it?

On some sites when registering there's a combination of numbers and letters that must be submitted to verify you're not a bot.. could we get something like that?

I am switching between "recaptcha" and "questions and answers" when registering and they are getting around both of them.

I am turning registrations on during the day when I can monitor it then will switch it off again overnight.

We have no easy solution to this at the moment.

We can moderate every new member that joins but that is a big job as we would have to check each one out thoroughly and at the moment the StopForumSpam plugin is doing a good job (stopped 5 already today).

Bigboyuk
07-08-17, 11:25
I am switching between "recaptcha" and "questions and answers" when registering and they are getting around both of them.

I am turning registrations on during the day when I can monitor it then will switch it off again overnight.

We have no easy solution to this at the moment.

We can moderate every new member that joins but that is a big job as we would have to check each one out thoroughly and at the moment the StopForumSpam plugin is doing a good job (stopped 5 already today). I didn't think bots could get round Captcha Systems (although anything is possible) Just a thought what about Audio Captcha where a word or phrase is said in the back ground with white noise combined! The only other way is to have trusted members be come Spam Busters most members including my self can spot Spam posts and this would greatly help Admin on here too :) Cheers

MyNameIsTerry
07-08-17, 13:33
I'm not sure I'm comfortable with Admin privileges being dished out unless there is no other way. It's up to them and I support them in whatever they choose but I'm wary given some of the disputes on here. There have been mistakes about who are spammers, made them myself.

Turning on the registrations when Admin are around is a good idea.

Have you also thought of trying to capture his threads based on keywords? You've just caught mine about him. This way couldn't you redirect them to a place we can't see them so he can spam to his heart's content with no impact on the forum and you don't need to be watching as much?

venusbluejeans
07-08-17, 13:42
Have you also thought of trying to capture his threads based on keywords? You've just caught mine about him. This way couldn't you redirect them to a place we can't see them so he can spam to his heart's content with no impact on the forum and you don't need to be watching as much?

That is exactly what we have been trying to do for the last hour (ish) hence why your post was accidentally moderated :roflmao:

The joys of google translate :)

MyNameIsTerry
07-08-17, 13:56
That is exactly what we have been trying to do for the last hour (ish) hence why your post was accidentally moderated :roflmao:

The joys of google translate :)

:biggrin:

I did wonder as I know you've had to do it before for certain things.

Can you get him from the . Com bit in the thread title? The site name changes but his spacing seems to be the same? (if you've got a quota on how much you can filter, feel free to let the Russian brides through :whistles:...but you can keep the Ugg boots! :biggrin:)

Google Translate has worked for me on posts that size but I was having trouble with this one.

Bigboyuk
07-08-17, 14:31

The joys of google translate :) That's what I am saying Venus you are working so hard I would personally be willing to help you, Have think about setting up Spam Busters on here a few trusted members could be picked to help deal with this influx of spamming on here it's basically done via the red triangle it gives certain members the power to not only report the spammer which is already in place but allows the spam busters (on here) once reported to admin auto delete of the post in question it just a thought run this by Alex as I think anything extra that will help you guys in this fight again this :) Cheers

---------- Post added at 14:31 ---------- Previous post was at 14:23 ----------

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with Admin privileges being dished out unless there is no other way. It's up to them and I support them in whatever they choose but I'm wary given some of the disputes on here. There have been mistakes about who are spammers, made them myself.

Turning on the registrations when Admin are around is a good idea.

Have you also thought of trying to capture his threads based on keywords? You've just caught mine about him. This way couldn't you redirect them to a place we can't see them so he can spam to his heart's content with no impact on the forum and you don't need to be watching as much?Sure I can understand this Terry just wondering if any other filters could be used against this prolific spammer if indeed it's the same one? One thing to look for is the laungauge the messages are written in as I am sure new members wouldn't use their native laungauge would they? Hmm Key words this depends on the words them selves and would be quite tricky to distinguish between a spammer an a genuine poster. Do we know where roughly what country they originate from? Could be using a VPN too! Cheers

nomorepanic
07-08-17, 14:55
I have added a couple of words (in korean) to the moderated list in the hope this stops some as well.

MyNameIsTerry
07-08-17, 15:21
Spambusters is a good idea under the right circumstances. But this is a rare occurence. So, Admin have to think about training, supervising, advertising & reallocating as people leave, shifts, etc. And they need them most when they are not around which means American, Canadian & Australian/NZ members mostly.

It's all extra work for them. They may be volunteers but it's still a time commitment and they all work as far as I know their time is more precious to them than many of us.

Once the keywords are in place, it's just a hassle deleting members and their mess but they have the situation controlled away from the forum. They've had to capture certain words before e.g. suicide...and Lord Voldermort of course :winks:

I think they had one of these a while back, it's just this one is more persistent. If so, that's two. Is it worth extending roles that have to be managed for that?

If Admin need help for the rest of the work they do, I'm sure they will approach people they believe suitable as they have before when Admin's left.

Pipkin
07-08-17, 18:23
We're all on the lookout and respond as soon as we can. It's tough fighting against bots which can find ways around registration management tools so easily.

Still, we humans will prevail!

Pip

venusbluejeans
08-08-17, 00:26
Registrations are being left on tonight to see what happens..... keep your fingers crossed folks!

https://missdeelauren.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/homer-crosses-fingers.jpg?w=627

BikerMatt
08-08-17, 00:33
Registrations are being left on tonight to see what happens..... keep your fingers crossed folks!

https://missdeelauren.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/homer-crosses-fingers.jpg?w=627

$!^^"*$$&%"$::''[[#;=;.;---%^¬````+_=-#//////'#;;;:;[[]¬=^>.;[-'./;$*(:redcard::redcard::spam:

venusbluejeans
08-08-17, 00:49
$!^^"*$$&%"$::''[[#;=;.;---%^¬````+_=-#//////'#;;;:;[[]¬=^>.;[-'./;$*(:redcard::redcard::spam:

:scared15::scared15::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

MyNameIsTerry
08-08-17, 04:56

Heeee'sssss baaaacccckkkk...and he's baaaddddd!!!

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/925/410/4cc.jpg

Bigboyuk
08-08-17, 12:15
Spambusters is a good idea under the right circumstances. But this is a rare occurence. So, Admin have to think about training, supervising, advertising & reallocating as people leave, shifts, etc. And they need them most when they are not around which means American, Canadian & Australian/NZ members mostly.

It's all extra work for them. They may be volunteers but it's still a time commitment and they all work as far as I know their time is more precious to them than many of us.

Once the keywords are in place, it's just a hassle deleting members and their mess but they have the situation controlled away from the forum. They've had to capture certain words before e.g. suicide...and Lord Voldermort of course :winks:

I think they had one of these a while back, it's just this one is more persistent. If so, that's two. Is it worth extending roles that have to be managed for that?

If Admin need help for the rest of the work they do, I'm sure they will approach people they believe suitable as they have before when Admin's left. Sure it is and understand what you are saying and I was only trying to help :) The other thing is rather than alert Admin etc that the bots are on certain part of the forum report it via the red triangle next to a bot(s) post think that may help. And may be have a tool in place that Admin could use that would delete all posts by the bot(s) It would save a lot of time instead of trawling through many posts :) Cheers

---------- Post added at 12:15 ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 ----------

Out of interest I have checked a couple of members that say in their profiles Banned but they are online? While they cant post but you actually don't need to be online to view posts so that means they have managed to log on to NMP I will gladly pm Nic or Admin about this if it's worth letting them know just in case they do manage to post again? Not saying these are bots though! Cheers

nomorepanic
08-08-17, 16:33
Members show online for an hour even if they are banned.

MyNameIsTerry
08-08-17, 16:45
Sometimes spammers log back in for months. There are still some reoccurring names popping up from that load that managed to get through a while back. That guy set up loads of accounts until Nic & co sorted out what was letting him through. At least he wasn't a mad bot though so wasn't raising threads.

venusbluejeans
21-07-18, 10:41
We are currently Moderating new members overnight (BST) again due to our friends the Korean spammers..... registrations will currently not be moderated during the day when th admins are mostly online

KK77
22-07-18, 13:36
Spam is back on the Sunday menu once more it appears :mad:

nomorepanic
22-07-18, 14:29
Not as bad as before this time though. We are trying to keep an eye on things so keep reporting the posts KK - cheers.

venusbluejeans
22-07-18, 18:59
Spam is back on the Sunday menu once more it appears :mad:

It isn't just any old spam...... it is south Korean spam :winks:
https://l7world.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/South-Korean-Spam.jpg

KK77
22-07-18, 21:19
It isn't just any old spam...... it is south Korean spam :winks:
https://l7world.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/South-Korean-Spam.jpg

:shades:

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/445762692653932544/t0mVqHms_400x400.jpeg

Elen
22-07-18, 21:53
Thanks for covering guys.

I am back, early shift for me tomorrow lol

venusbluejeans
22-07-18, 22:32
Thanks for covering guys.

I am back, early shift for me tomorrow lol

I have been up early the last 2 days for work so lay in for me tomorrow:yesyes:

nomorepanic
22-07-18, 23:35
Moderation will be on overnight and when I am not around to switch it on/off. Thanks Elen and Emmz.