PDA

View Full Version : Flintstones Vitamins cause cancer???!!

Megan99
03-08-17, 12:11
I've been taking Flintstones vitamins for about a year now and today I came across several articles stating that flintstones vitamins were really dangerous and contained several dangerous chemicals like aspartame and things that cause cancer and MS! Am I now at a higher risk for developing these diseases? Can me taking it for a year affect me in a really negative way. They have been giving me indegestion, but I don't feel anything else......

Cakelady
03-08-17, 12:28
I haven't heard of them but I'm in the uk. There are so many scare stories about the things we eat & use on a daily basis I think you could be left feeling there's nothing that won't kill us! I wouldn't worry, I know easier said than done but sweeteners like aspartame are very commonly used. I found a link from the uk but has us findings in it nothing scary I promise:) Hope it gives you a little reassurance x
http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/the-truth-about-aspartame.aspx

Fishmanpa
03-08-17, 13:16
Do you eat other processed foods or drink any diet beverages? What about other things you consume? Unless you go totally organic, you're consuming food coloring, flavor enhancers, preservatives, sweeteners etc. on a daily basis.

I just can't think this product (as well as every other kids vitamins or supplements) would still be on the market if it really posed a threat.

Positive thoughts

Capercrohnj
03-08-17, 15:29
Aspartame has been extensively studied and there is no limit between it and disease in humans. One mouse study had a small link to cancer but they gave those mice an outrageous amount of aspartame equivalent to 200 and of diet soda a day or something. Plus that breed of mine get cancer at a very high rate anyway.

melfish
03-08-17, 15:35
I used to be a newspaper journalist. A medical writer, too. Unless you have the original study in front of you, you are getting a skewed version of the facts. For a headline. Or for a click. Ignore it.

Capercrohnj
03-08-17, 15:58
Yes. Reminds me of this awesome video. John Oliver on how the media portrays scientific studies :

https://youtu.be/0Rnq1NpHdmw

Everyone should watch it. It's great

paranoid-viking
03-08-17, 17:24
I've been taking Flintstones vitamins for about a year now and today I came across several articles stating that flintstones vitamins were really dangerous and contained several dangerous chemicals like aspartame and things that cause cancer and MS! Am I now at a higher risk for developing these diseases? Can me taking it for a year affect me in a really negative way. They have been giving me indegestion, but I don't feel anything else......

Where? In The Daily Mail?

budgie1979
03-08-17, 17:26
Nope, if it's mass marketed in the United States, then it doesn't contain anything the FDA would regard as harmful in the recommended dosage. That said, given that they are causing indigestion, unless your doctor said you should take them, you probably don't need vitamins. Most people get enough vitamins from the foods they eat, and last time I had a physical my doctor said that the latest research shows multivitamins aren't all that helpful. If you have a known deficiency, your doctor would prescribe just that vitamin (or a combination to increase absorption like iron with vitamin c).

Fishmanpa
03-08-17, 17:35
If it did, Fred wouldn't be saying "Yabba Dabba Do!" And Bam Bam would knock the poo of the company! :D

Positive thoughts