PDA

View Full Version : Can't stop thinking about my breathing

zacman777
03-08-17, 16:06
This is a problem that I have been having, and I thought i was just in a sensitized state and maybe it would move through me, but it just hasn't let go. I can not stop thinking about my breathing. It's an all day affair. And even those quick moments where I notice I'm not think about it, the noticing of that brings me right back to it. I know my body knows how to breath, but that fact doesn't bring any relief it seems. I start thinking thoughts like, "what if By thinking about my breathing, I'm taking myself out of my natural rhythm, therefore my organs aren't getting the proper levels of oxygen and co2 that they need and I'm doing permanent damage." Or "what if I think about it so much that it gets to the point that my body does get out of the natural rhythm on its own and I HAVE to focus on it." Any thought about breathing and leading to some sort of health issue, I've had it. Then, since I'm thinking about my breathing so much, in constantly monitoring it. So when anything is slightly off, or one of this thoughts pop up, I get the slightest rush of anxiety and it builds throughout the day with every little thing. Does anybody have any suggestions/success stories? Or has anyone even gone through this? I'm at my whits end with this.

Bry
09-08-17, 12:04
Hi,

First sorry for my English, it's not my native language.
I have been through the same issue...you don't have to worry about injuring your body, no such risk. Your body will always know how to automatically breath, that is sure. Concerning how to stop thinking...it's more complicated. Actually the problem is somewhere else. A standard person without stress and anxiety like us, also thinks time to time about breathing. But it doesn't matter for that person, after couple of minutes, that though is gone. For us it would be the same if we were nos anxious...so we have to figure out what stress is at the first point. It's the difficult part, l know. Did you have special problems, stressing situation right before starting to focus on your breath?

Don't worry, it's something you can beat!
Bry

Kaylanewk
24-10-17, 23:22
Is this still a problem or has it gone away ? Iv been thinking about my breathing for weeks nonstop and it’s driving me crazy :( I’m pregnant too which makes it even more scary

LiveAboveIt
25-10-17, 01:54
I'm having this issue, as well. Started after having a bad reaction to a medication that gave me shortness of breath. Had a panic attack over it and next thing I know, I'm manually breathing all the time.

For anyone else that has had this, does it just go away once the anxiety levels drop?

JohnBate
25-10-17, 03:28
As a schoolchild i had this problem constantly. The best advice i can give is play a difficult video game or have a conversation in real life with somebody. something you need to put all of your focus into. You'll find it helps you breathe naturally once you focus entirely on something else. And unless you have a structural issue with your lungs, you cannot damage your body by breathing manually. if your brain has too much/too little oxygen it'll force you to either gasp or breathe out a little extra.

LiveAboveIt
25-10-17, 04:03
As a schoolchild i had this problem constantly. The best advice i can give is play a difficult video game or have a conversation in real life with somebody. something you need to put all of your focus into. You'll find it helps you breathe naturally once you focus entirely on something else. And unless you have a structural issue with your lungs, you cannot damage your body by breathing manually. if your brain has too much/too little oxygen it'll force you to either gasp or breathe out a little extra.

Thank you, John. Distracting is such a difficult thing to do when you are so focused on it, but I guess it just takes time and practice. I need to stop putting so much emotion to wanting to get rid of it and just try to live my life as best as I can, in spite of having it.