PDA

View Full Version : Restless Leg Syndrome

ServerError
03-08-17, 19:15
I went to the doctor today to discuss some symptoms that have flared up of late. To cut a long story short, I've been feeling super-agitated, especially at night. I have a constant urge to move that feels like it's coming from somewhere deep within my legs, and sometimes my arms and even my head. Very irritating. I suspected Restless Leg Syndrome.

I saw the doctor today and did my best to describe my symptoms, and he agreed it was most likely RLS. I'm not particularly anxious about this, as it's essentially a benign condition and doesn't lead to anything worse.

I just wondered if anybody else on the forum had ever had this diagnosis and what their experience had been in terms of treatment. I've been prescribed Pramipexole, which apparently is a dopamine agonist usually prescribed for Parkinson's. Has anyone ever taken this?

I've done a bit of Google "research", but I'm reluctant to do too much, given my history of anxiety disorders.

---

Also, I had the lesion on my chest looked at again today, almost a year after my panic about it. I noticed the other day it had changed, grown bigger and darker and seemed to bit inflamed. Interestingly, the doctor examined it closely, and said it was nothing to worry about. It's weird that when it was smaller and more innocuous-looking, I got a two-week referral to a dermatologist, but this time it looks worse and I've been told it's nothing to worry about! I guess the previous GP was just super-cautious. I'm happy, anyway.

Fishmanpa
03-08-17, 19:20
I have nerve issues due to my treatment. Neuropathy in my feet, nerve issues in my neck and upper back, pain etc. Also, restless leg type symptoms in my shins. It's maddening at times.

Looks like the med prescribed should help. I take gabapentin for my issues and it does provide relief.

Positive thoughts

cattia
03-08-17, 23:13
Yes, I have RLS and have had it most of my life in fact. I find it only really bothers me when I'm very tired, stressed or anxious. Magnesium really helps with this.

Annaboodle
03-08-17, 23:31
I have RLS (as I'm typing in fact. It flares up in the evenings and is driving me crazy. I'm sitting with the laptop doing pedalling motions with my legs and stretches). The RLS started as one of the legion of benzo withdrawal symptoms and has never gone away. It's definitely worse when I'm anxious or tired, but cause the bloody RLS stops you sleeping it makes you tired and then more RLS.

If you take the Pramipexole and it helps can you post to update here maybe or PM me please, as I'm thinking of going back to the doctor about it. I didn't realise there was anything they could give you. Mind you it was years ago I asked the doc, and at the time he just asked, "is it manageable for you?" and I said yes, I guess so, as I figured it wasn't killing me. It's a horrible feeling though.

ServerError
04-08-17, 00:24
Apparently they only prescribe something if you tell them it's bothering you. I guess if I'd gone in, told him about it, then said "fine, I know what it is, I can live with it", he wouldn't have offered to prescribe anything. There's a few different meds out there, but there's no guarantees.

I'll update once I've been on the meds a few weeks. Feel free to poke me for updates if you wonder what happened.

BazB44
04-08-17, 01:22
are leg cramps a symptom of RLS? My mom and grandmother both have it, and I'm thinking I might get it soon enough. I do get the restless feeling every so often, but I'm more prone to leg/calf cramps

Capercrohnj
04-08-17, 01:39
I get restless leg syndrome symptoms when my magnesium levels are low. I find supplementing it helps

ServerError
04-08-17, 01:54
Doctor never mentioned magnesium. I suppose there's only so much they can say in ten minutes.

Capercrohnj
04-08-17, 02:03
Haha probably. Generally I know I am deficient if I start getting muscle cramps.

MyNameIsTerry
04-08-17, 02:13
GP's probably won't have a clue about magnesium, they dish out meds for stuff and tend to be wary of unregulated supplements. Where they need supplements, they have licenced drugs that provide it for them.

Magnesium supplementation has a lot of pitfalls. You don't get what it says on the bottle with most supplements as there are no laws protecting us in the UK on this. However, if you go that route give me a shout because I've already done that for aches & pains (with success) and had to slog through the various sites to work out the issues with supplements of the different kinds and I have some links to other useful forum posts off NMP explaining loads about it.

How is the anxiety side holding up over this? It's often a good test.

Lola-Lee
04-08-17, 02:16
Hi I get terrible restless legs,I take magnesium but doesn't seem too help,they get worse when I ride to work,I also have regular massages on my legs,it is probably psychological but it does help.

MyNameIsTerry
04-08-17, 02:24
Hi I get terrible restless legs,I take magnesium but doesn't seem too help,they get worse when I ride to work,I also have regular massages on my legs,it is probably psychological but it does help.

Which do you take and how much?

The magnesium levels you get from supplements are nowhere near what they say on the bottles. It's "elemental" magnesium that counts and even then to won't absorb near 100% of that.

If people use a RDA without using the elemental value, you will be getting hardly anything.

Lola-Lee
04-08-17, 03:07
I take Nutra-Life Magnesium Chelate 750,and 2 a day. I was taking one that a Naturepath gave me,but it was very expensive.
I have found it has helped with my mood swings though.

MyNameIsTerry
04-08-17, 04:59
I take Nutra-Life Magnesium Chelate 750,and 2 a day. I was taking one that a Naturepath gave me,but it was very expensive.
I have found it has helped with my mood swings though.

That one says 150mg per tablet on the bottle, many don't bother telling you that so you have to work it out by it's atomic weight.

The tabs are 750mg of amino acid magnesium chelate so that means 600mgs is of something else. Most of that is going to be the amino acid, if not all. On many an amino acid supplement in the UK, the manufacturer would just put 750mg and not tell you the magnesium content is much lower hence people don't realise how little they may be getting (although 150mg is a good amount, many are far less than this).

Magnesium is generally poorly absorbed because the body doesn't handle salts well but these chelated forms are better as they tend to tag them onto an amino acid, and the body absorbs those much better. If it's bound to and amino acid, you can be getting the benefits of that too and some help with mental health.

ServerError
04-08-17, 14:27
How is the anxiety side holding up over this? It's often a good test.

To be honest, I've had these issues for a long time. I just finally got round to telling the doctor. So, there's not really any anxiety around it. I'm just glad it isn't anything more serious. Hopefully the meds I've been prescribed will help.

KatiePink
04-08-17, 14:57
I get this a lot well i'm assuming it's restless legs, happens in phases for me for around 2 weeks and then i will be back to 'normal'. I don't know if it's a contributing factor but the less active I've been the worse they are when trying to sleep!

MyNameIsTerry
04-08-17, 15:02
To be honest, I've had these issues for a long time. I just finally got round to telling the doctor. So, there's not really any anxiety around it. I'm just glad it isn't anything more serious. Hopefully the meds I've been prescribed will help.

That's still good though, anxiety is happy to manipulate a real health concern too and twist it into worrying about worse. That's an accomplishment in itself.

Phuzella
04-08-17, 15:05
Magnesium spray or footbaths?

ServerError
04-08-17, 16:31
Been to the pharmacy to get my meds. The pharmacist isn't keen on seeing Pramexipole prescribed for RLS. He says it's often very effective, but it comes with a real risk of tolerance developing, which leads to you needing higher and higher doses. And then it can become very difficult to come off it. I've been given an extremely low dose to start with.

I'm going to give it a go, though.

I asked the pharmacist about magnesium and he said that some people do find it useful, but it's all anecdotal and there's no strong evidence, as they don't even know what causes primary RLS. The theory with the most weight behind it is that it's caused by low dopamine levels, which is why they sometimes prescribe dopamine agonists like Pramexipole. But even that theory is not proven beyond doubt.

---------- Post added at 16:31 ---------- Previous post was at 16:29 ----------

That's still good though, anxiety is happy to manipulate a real health concern too and twist it into worrying about worse. That's an accomplishment in itself.

I honestly think the therapy I had really helped me deal with that secondary dose of fear that often comes after the reflexive first dose. I'm much more relaxed about what my mind does or doesn't do these days. I just don't fight it anymore.

But of course, RLS really is benign, so I know I have nothing to worry about other than learning to live with it.

MyNameIsTerry
04-08-17, 17:02
Yes, reaction is key. Same with intrusive thoughts which thrive of reacting with fear. I found once I got past this and reacted more casually to it, they melted away and never bother me now even though I can easily say I notice them more than before my anxiety. A secondary "meh, who cares" seems to ride on the back of the thought and it just flashes through without impact.

I think you have done great to get to this point.

I can't see RLS mentioned at all in th studies on examinesupplements.com. That's a really good site for supplements as it it's quite indepth. Peope must be finding it helps from somewhere, maybe because of it's "calming minera"l status?

Certain anitidepressants boost Dopamine. I wonder what else is out there? It's concerning about the tolerance issue but hopefully it can be used during periods of RLS spiking rather than continously?

ServerError
10-08-17, 15:57
After a few days on pramipexole, I can honestly say it does seem to be helping. It could be a placebo effect or something else, but I feel like it's helping take the edge off. I'm on a very low dose, though, and I suspect I may need to go up a little to get the full benefits.

I've also noticed a very real uptick in my mood since I started taking them. Apparently they're occasionally prescribed in the treatment of depression, so I guess this isn't too surprising. Again, it could be a placebo effect or it could be that my mood has naturally improved, but it has certainly coincided with going on pramipexole.

Be interesting to see how things feel after a month.

MyNameIsTerry
10-08-17, 16:40
Probably the Dopamine?

Glad it's helping.