PDA

View Full Version : Heart worries and the doctor

SolidSteak
03-08-17, 22:43
Hi guys, just wanted to get some opinions about whether I should push my doctor harder to help deal with my HA.

So I've had HA centred around my heart for about 4 months now. I've had 3 ECG's, 2x full blood tests and a chest x ray which have all been clear. 5 doctors have listened to my heart and said that they can't hear anything wrong.
I even got so concerned with the severity of my chest pains to the point that I had a phone consultation with Sanjay Gupta from York Cardiology who wasn't concerned about my symptoms enoug to suggest seeing him for further tests.

While this all may sound positive I'm still suffering horribly with chest pains. Sometimes they are stabbing, burning, go through to my back and are almost always in the centre of my chest. Also my palpitations are awful and I get a fullness in my chest that makes it hard to breathe. I also sometimes have trouble with my vision and can't put my finger on whether it's true dizziness or not. This usually gets worse when I'm out of the house. I'm most concerned that those signs together are indicative of some problem with the heart and can't get it out of my head that I need to go back to my doctor about this.

Any thoughts or reassurances on what to do? I'd really appreciate your input!

SolidSteak

Hypomean
04-08-17, 06:40
Currently going through this.

My chest pains: my doctors said that it was costochondritis, from hyperventilating.
I just suffered some palps which caused a fullness but after meditation I realized it's just I tend to hold my breath after feeling the heart palps and I just don't realize it. So I get this chest tightness with air hunger.
All of your symptoms yell anxiety. To me because personally I've been diagnosed with it because of the symptoms and the "normal" "perfectly healthy" test results.

We need to help ourselves and learn to better cope with these fears and symptoms. I've been working on it. Failing but I want to push through. I want this year to be the year I break from this cycle.

SolidSteak
04-08-17, 08:46
Thanks for your reply and I couldn't agree more with what you're saying.

It's a horrible thing and hard to deal with when it consumes your life.

It's funny you mention about holding your breath because I've realised I do the exact same thing without realising!

I'm currently having real trouble accepting that these symptoms are not a sign of something more serious because of how frequently I have them and the fact they make me feel so awful. It's affecting my life in every way and I'm even getting to the point where I just don't want to leave the house any more.

Good luck with your battle and I hope you do manage to break the cycle!

SolidSteak

Ash J
04-08-17, 09:44
Hey Solid,

I am suffering just like you with this issue for about 3-4 months. Had about 3 ECG's in that time, 2 visits to A&E and multiple visits to GP, in the space of 1 week I had 4 different GP's listen and they all said everything sounded ok.

Had a telephone consultation with Dr Sanjay Gupta 2 months ago who told me I would be better off spending money on addressing anxiety/stress then pursue further heart tests..

I too like you struggle to accept that everything is ok...I have had a lot of chest pains this week which I don't usually get persistently, I just can't convince myself that this is all anxiety. Every feeling in my chest panics me now...sometimes me heart beat feels very irregular..surely this is not normal but Drs just don't seem bothered. I have thought about paying privately for further testing but this will cost a lot of money...I'm still trying to weigh up if it will actually solve this issue or just be a waste of my money since Dr's aren't concerned.

I too am now struggling to leave the house as each time I go out I get the sharp stabbing pains in my chest so it puts me off..everyday just feels like survival..hate it so much.

Please feel free to message me if you would like a chat, certainly know your pain mate.

Ash

WeaselWoo
04-08-17, 10:03
I know the feeling I think everyday that I have heart problems.

As hard as it is don't stop going out as it will only make it harder the longer you give in. I struggle everyday but I still keep coming to work and trying to lead a normal life.

You have to try and remain positive if you have been told that your heart is fine, I know this is easier said than done. I find that if you say STOP to yourself it can help to stop that vicious circle.

Take care and keep at it.

anx mum
04-08-17, 10:19
Hi guys, just wanted to get some opinions about whether I should push my doctor harder to help deal with my HA.

So I've had HA centred around my heart for about 4 months now. I've had 3 ECG's, 2x full blood tests and a chest x ray which have all been clear. 5 doctors have listened to my heart and said that they can't hear anything wrong.
I even got so concerned with the severity of my chest pains to the point that I had a phone consultation with Sanjay Gupta from York Cardiology who wasn't concerned about my symptoms enoug to suggest seeing him for further tests.

While this all may sound positive I'm still suffering horribly with chest pains. Sometimes they are stabbing, burning, go through to my back and are almost always in the centre of my chest. Also my palpitations are awful and I get a fullness in my chest that makes it hard to breathe. I also sometimes have trouble with my vision and can't put my finger on whether it's true dizziness or not. This usually gets worse when I'm out of the house. I'm most concerned that those signs together are indicative of some problem with the heart and can't get it out of my head that I need to go back to my doctor about this.

Any thoughts or reassurances on what to do? I'd really appreciate your input!

SolidSteak

Hi hun I'm the same ive been suffering with severe chest pains for about a month like u ive had ive had ecgs chest xray and bloods. I'm concerned something bad is going on my health anxiety is at its worst. I'm waiting to see cardio dr. My pains are stabbing too. How u feeling now?

SolidSteak
04-08-17, 11:07
Ash, thanks for your reply. Would definitely enjoy a chat.

Anx Mum: I'm ok this morning. My symptoms just seem to be so up and down at the minute (currently suffering with tinnitus and blurry vision) heart pain has been ok so far this morning. I'm currently waiting for a Holter monitor from the hospital but I'm pretty certain it won't find anything and I'll still be disatisfied by the results soon enough after I get them (a vicious cycle I can't seem to get out of) how are you getting on?

I can honestly say anxiety has been the worst illness I have ever had. Before hand I was the most laid back and chilled out person going. Now it seems my personality has done a complete 180 and I can't stand it!

SolidSteak