PDA

View Full Version : Scared I caught the disease from the vaccination

UserName20
04-08-17, 00:52
Hey guys. Yesterday I got a meningitis vaccination. Well, this afternoon I realized when I moved my head the right side of my neck is stiff. It feels exactly what happens if you sleep on it wrong which I have done before. I don't have a fever or feel sick any other way... my neck is just kinda stiff which is a symptom of meningitis of course so knowing me I'm panicking, knowing how serious it can be. Online it said if it's meningitis it hurts when you look down at your stomach. My neck doesn't hurt when I do that, just when I turn my head. I know it's possible I just slept on it weird but I can't help but be terrified... would it be rare to get meningitis from the vaccine? I know there's side effects but I don't have anything other than this

KK77
04-08-17, 01:13
Yes, there would be other side effects you don't seem to have, so I would say it's most probably anxiety coupled with muscle tension from your "weird" sleeping position.

I don't think you have somehow contracted meningitis, but obviously if symptoms persist, speak to your doctor.

MagpieWitch
04-08-17, 01:37
When you get vaccinated you are not actually given the disease, you are given an inactive form of the disease so your immune system can learn how to fight it.
Sometimes there are side effects which are not the disease, rather they are your body reacting to something foreign being inserted into the blood stream and the body trying to fight it. That's why even with tetanus they say that despite the pain you can have a fever too. It's not because you have tetanus rather it's because your entire body reacts to the foreign substance.
While I am obviously not a doctor and I am just talking from that time I got scared of my tetanus shot, I think that the side effects are side effects of the procedure and you won't have the actual disease in you.
Besides as far as my dad told me (who is a head surgeon) because I am scared of meningitis too these past few days, for meningitis the first symptom is high fever and the headache and neck stiffness come with it, not preceding it.