PDA

View Full Version : Dreaming and reality?

LDoubleE
04-08-17, 08:35
Sometimes when I wake up from the middle of a "normal" dream I've forgot that I even had a life and have to coerce myself to remember sometimes. Just feel groggy and out of touch.. It seems since my anxiety has gotten worse that I feel this more often. I am struggling to sleep and I get woken up earlier than I'd like to be to look after my pain in the arse dogs that can't be trusted alone. Could it possibly be sleep deprivation? I can never seem to get my straight 9 hours of sleep I feel I need. My main question is about the dreaming.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

MyNameIsTerry
04-08-17, 14:07
I doubt it's sleep deprivation. How much sleep are you getting and how broken is it?

Sleep onset & waking stages are very different from normal thinking so we can experience many sleep phenomena with them. This is all normal. It could be that or possibly some derealisation.

How often does it last from when you are waking? If it goes quickly, probably more coming out of a dream like state into waking state.

Lucid dreaming is a feature of Hypnagogia & Hypnopompia, both normal stages in sleep. Whilst anxiety is not linked to causing this, as everyone experiences it, anxiety is noted for intensifying it. They share features of amnesia in that Autobiographical memory and Episodic memory are affected but not Semantic memory.
Autobiographical memory includes personal identity & continuity of it.

LDoubleE
04-08-17, 16:25
I doubt it's sleep deprivation. How much sleep are you getting and how broken is it?

Sleep onset & waking stages are very different from normal thinking so we can experience many sleep phenomena with them. This is all normal. It could be that or possibly some derealisation.

How often does it last from when you are waking? If it goes quickly, probably more coming out of a dream like state into waking state.

Lucid dreaming is a feature of Hypnagogia & Hypnopompia, both normal stages in sleep. Whilst anxiety is not linked to causing this, as everyone experiences it, anxiety is noted for intensifying it. They share features of amnesia in that Autobiographical memory and Episodic memory are affected but not Semantic memory.
Autobiographical memory includes personal identity & continuity of it.I'd say I'm getting 6 hours sleep. Usually go to bed around 12am and usually asleep by 2am. Awake at 8-9am. I do suffer pretty bad with derealisation and dp anyway.. but I've just noticed when I wake from the middle of a dream. Everything on my awakening feels odd and like I don't belong. Usually goes after I've woken up properly. However the dp/dr will stick around most of the day.

I've read about sleep deprivation exacerbating dr/dp symptoms but I guess if I'm getting 6 hours it's not really sleep deprivation.. but I've thought everyone is different maybe my body needs more hours of sleep I dunno. I never used to dream or at least I never remembered any dreams in my teenage years just lately I've noticed in the last few weeks if I wake up mid dream gah it's like sh*t... it was a pretty decent dream too.. [emoji57]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thelegend27
06-08-17, 11:42
When I'm sleep deprived I wake up doing weird stuff like moving things in the bed like pillows, I also think there's things in the bed with me like spiders and stuff, get more sleep and go to sleep at a decent time this is what helps me sleep better.

MyNameIsTerry
20-08-17, 01:40
Lucid dreaming is common with mental health disorders and with antidepressants. Looking at how much you get, it's enough but maybe it's not as much in the deeper stages, but this is very common with anxiety.

It's also very common to worry about sleep terribly and make it worse. Trying to restore it to a natural behaviour you don't think about tends to sort it out.

I know when I wake from lucid dreams it like waking from nightmares. I'm amped up and that can mean mre anxiety for hours.

Get back to sleep quickly and you might be able to get back into that nice dream you were having. :yesyes: