PDA

View Full Version : Worried about protein in urine. Please help.

Moso13
04-08-17, 22:42
So I ended up going to the doctors and they took my blood pressure and it ended up being 124/86, she said that isn't considered high. And they took a blood test and urine test. Got my results today and everything turned out normal, except they said that my urine showed some protein and that this is likely because i was fasting( I hadn't eaten and drank anything since the night ) so I could do blood work.Also, sometimes I can get dehydrated at work so I probably don't drink as much water as I should. So they said to increase water intake and then repeat the urine test in 2 weeks. So I looked it up and online it says protein in urine can be caused by hypertension(high blood pressure), diabetes, and kidney issues.
Well i went here and my pressure wasn't high. The test said my glucose levels were normal(so if I had diabetes it would've been high, right?), and my kidney function was normal( if I had kidney disease or failing kidneys, it wouldn't be normal right?) Im just so scared because my pappy is dying because his kidneys are failing and it has been a problem for a long time and I don't want to end up like him. Can anyone help me?

KatiePink
04-08-17, 23:27
Hi,

Think you answered your own question there your other results came back normal which means you are fine, the explanation they gave for the protein found is probably correct, or it could be something as simple as a UTI that has caused it, I really wouldn't worry about it if they were concerned they would have done more tests there and then. X

Crouton
05-08-17, 03:31
Hi Moso,

I've tested hundreds of urine samples and it is quite common to have a trace of protein in the urine. I've even tested my own wee and it had a bit of protein in it. Healthy kidneys do excrete a very small amount of protein, and if you are dehydrated it will certainly make the protein reading higher as the urine will be more concentrated. If your doctor isn't worried about it then neither should you! Keep up the water intake and have the test again in two weeks, I'm betting it will be all good! :yesyes:

Rhiannon.
05-08-17, 14:19
I always have protein in my urine and raised levels in my blood. It's just how I am. Doctor said that although it is raised it is no where near levels that would cause concern (backed up by every other rest being normal).

It's just how it is for some people :)

lin14534
11-08-17, 02:59
Hi - wondering what you meant about raised levels in your blood as I have this issue also. Thanks

Rhiannon.
11-08-17, 18:31
I regularly have to have a bunch of blood tests for various things and each time I have higher than normal levels of protein in my blood.

It's never in alarming levels but I always have the test done just to keep an eye on it. It's been a year or two now. No problems :)