PDA

View Full Version : Any success with Zoloft in treating Physical anxiety symptoms?

Ryzinn
05-08-17, 00:15
I managed to finally see my doctor again today who has prescribed me Zoloft to maybe see if my issues (tingling, dizziness mostly) are related to my health anxiety. I'm hoping it helps diminish my symptoms over time though I'm not so sure.

I'm scared to take it, but if it'll help relieve what I'm going through, I'm willing to try. Anybody have any success with Zoloft in treating physical anxiety sensations? (tingling specifically?)

ServerError
05-08-17, 00:49
The thing with anxiety is that the physical symptoms are just part of the biological response to your state of mind. This means that you can't really separate them from your psychological condition. There isn't really such a thing as dealing solely with the physical stuff.

When I was in the midst of my breakdown last year, the first time I saw a GP I was adamant I just wanted to fix the physical stuff and that I'd tackle the mental stuff later. As far as I was concerned, the physical symptoms were the problem. I had it the wrong way round. But I was so adamant and completely unwilling to discuss antidepressants or even therapy. I left with a prescription for the beta blocker propranolol.

As you can probably imagine, the propranolol did little for me, because I wasn't addressing the root cause. In your case, you've been prescribed an SSRI antidepressant, which means that if it works to improve your psychological issues, the physical stuff should ease too. Sertraline (or Zoloft) does absolutely nothing to directly eliminate the symptoms you're having, but it when it works, it can be transformative for your state of mind, which has positive impacts on the body as well.

In my case, I relented and agreed to take an antidepressant - the very same one you've been prescribed. I found it very tough initially, but then it started to work, and now I credit Zoloft with saving my life and helping to transform my outlook. By vastly reducing my anxiety and changing the way I think, I've also seen an almost complete elimination of the physical symptoms I was experiencing (there were many). The Zoloft didn't do this per se, but it helped sort my head out, and my body responded accordingly.

I do still get the odd physical symptom. It takes time for the body to adjust. The big difference now is that I no longer fear those symptoms, so I don't even really notice them.

In your case, there's a few "ifs". If you're symptoms are anxiety-related, and if the Zoloft works for you, things will improve, physically and mentally.

Fishmanpa
05-08-17, 00:56
I was prescribed Zoloft for some depression after my 1st heart attack. 100mg 1x a day. I was fortunate that I had no initial side effects. I did develop some tummy issues but nothing too bad. I didn't notice any difference but people around me did. They noticed a more positive attitude. It gave my brain a rest while I worked on me. It was the "Crutch" I needed while I got my feet back under me.

Positive thoughts

Rhiannon.
05-08-17, 14:23
Zoloft... That's sertraline, right?

I've been on sertraline for almost a decade now. Like ServerError I credit it with saving my life. I don't know where I'd be without it. Probably six foot under or hospitalised

ServerError
05-08-17, 14:42
Yeah, Zoloft is a US brand name for sertraline.

cattia
05-08-17, 21:45
I've been prescribed this instead of citalopram, I'm nervous about the side effects. I'm not sure whether to take it or not but starting to think that anything has to be better than this 24/7 anxiety. I think once the anxiety calms down the physical symptoms will also abate.