PDA

View Full Version : General comments

Meg
14-11-04, 12:22
Hi All,

Your sets will be going out this Monday / Tuesday so expect a package...

Love

Meg

sadie
14-11-04, 17:32
Hi Meg,

I have sent you message with some feedback already. Looking forward to the rest of the CD's.
[8D]
Love

sadie

ItWillPass
15-11-04, 01:59
what cds??? i want cds! whaaaa.

tara
15-11-04, 09:36
Hi Meg, thanks a lot I really need this at the moment, can't wait to get going, thanks again Meg.....................Tara x

Jules31
16-11-04, 10:53
Yay can't wait. Meg I'm sure it will be great, you have worked so hard.

Love

Jules

Mell1988
16-11-04, 11:44
Hi Meg,

I would be really interested in this CD set so can you let me know how I go about getting hold of them ?

Regards

Laurie28
17-11-04, 15:08
Received mine safely this morning Meg!!

Had a quick look at lunchtime but will have a good read through etc tonight

Love
Lucky

Meg
17-11-04, 16:27
I've sent them all out now.

If you were expecting a set and didn't get it - send me a pm . I'm missing a couple of addresses.

The website is www.overcominganxiety.co.uk

Meg

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

pips
17-11-04, 17:15
Hi Meg, :D

I have sent you a PM

Take care ;)

Love PIP'S XX XX

Sue
17-11-04, 18:07
Hi Meg,

Got mine this morning thank you. Very professional looking.

Think I made a bit of a mistake by listening to the first one describing all the crap symtoms while driving on my way to see psychiatrist this morning. I was anxious anyway and thinking about the symtoms made me think I was experiencing them!

Anyway, I ejected you (sorry!!) but have listened to rest since being home and the relaxation one is playing now.

Its all very good and can only benefit many people.

Thank you for letting me have a copy.

Sue

Sue
17-11-04, 18:17
Why does my previous reply say "not moderated? What does this mean??

Should we not be replying here, Confused!

Sue

nomorepanic
17-11-04, 19:52
Sue

It is all sorted now - took me ages to work it out but Meg didn't know about turning off moderation when she created the new forum.

No hassles and all posts approved now so should be ok [^]

Nicola

Meg
17-11-04, 22:13
Sue,

Good 'thinking about the symtoms made me think I was experiencing them!'

Thats a good warm up fpr CD 3 !! Remember this comment of yours ....

I have no problem with being ejected at any time. I know it won't always be comfortable to hear some of the topics . All I ask is that you keep an open mind if its a new concept to you.

Meg

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Karen
17-11-04, 22:24
I've got mine now, thanks Meg. They arrived safely at Jac's and had not been tampered with!

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

nomorepanic
17-11-04, 22:28
I have done all 7 now - need to do relaxation in proper conditions.

Meg has my comments about it all.

I wish I was listening to CD3 when Meg mentions the M6 bridge - oops!! I had to go over it.

I think Meg has done a fab job and should be congratulated. There is no preaching in the cd's and no "you must", "you should". It is all about choice and we should understand that and appreciate it.

Thanks Meg for a great CD set

Nicola

Laurie28
18-11-04, 10:40
Meg,

Listened to first CD last night and will listen to it every day for a week as recommended

I was like a nodding dog most of the way through it!! It made so much sense.
Even got quite tearful at some points as it is sooo correct (although I already knew you 'understood')

The bit at the end about not being mad etc very very good

Love
Lucky

mabel
18-11-04, 20:54
Got mine today!
Am about to put CD 1 on, so will let you know how I get on!

Mabel
Caoline

Meg
18-11-04, 21:01
Oh Lucky - you don't need to listen to it all every day .Thats bit is just if you were newly diagnosed and too acute and overwhelmed to take it all in at once and I know you're far too well these days so a couple more will be fine - but do use the relaxation CD every day !!

Charlie sent me a text at 00:15 this am saying roughly the same thing about the nodding !!

Glad I've hit the spot ..Remember I have been there.

Meg

mico
21-11-04, 16:50
Darn, I wish I'd volunteered for this now, it all sounds so exciting :D.

Oh well, maybe I should just make my own. It could be called 'Mico's Magical Mind Set' or something [^].

Anyway, good luck to everyone who's trying this out, it'll be interesting to see peoples reactions to it. I hope it all goes well.

mico

Elle-Kay
22-11-04, 11:34
I've just tried the link Meg posted for Overcoming Anxiety, but it comes up with a Page Cannot be Displayed error (I've tried from home and from work) :(

I'd really like to find out more about the CDs and such - they sound an ideal addition to the collection of Meatloaf and Bryan Adams CDs which currently make up my in-car listening!

~* Do what you want. Nobody else will do it for you *~

lainey
22-11-04, 12:15
Hi Meg

Managed to get my pack today from the postal depot as they are only open in the morning. Just listened to cd 1 - excellent!
Thank you so much for putting all this together and letting me be part of it.

Elaine x

Meg
22-11-04, 13:15
Dear Leah

Not sure why you can't reach it.

I've just tried from the link and it seems fine

I'll post it again

www.overcominganxiety.co.uk

www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Anyone else having trouble ?

Meg

Elle-Kay
22-11-04, 13:49
Just tried it again and got to the page first time without any problems this time. How odd...

~* Do what you want. Nobody else will do it for you *~

Meg
22-11-04, 14:05
Leah ,

Maybe there was some mainetance going on at the site which meant it was down for a bit.

Being an IT neanderthal I don't do that bit .

Meg

Meg
28-11-04, 11:25
If any active members of this forum do want to buy a set there is a 20% discount if you pay by cheque making it £80.00

Sorry but it's not possible to offer this for credit cards purchases.

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk

Jules31
20-01-05, 10:46
Meg

The CDs are brilliant. I've been so busy over the last few weeks that I haven't listened to them much. I'm my own worst enemy. But things are flaring up a bit, so I'll get stick back in and let you have my feed back, if it's not too late. Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. Hope you are well

Love

Jules

Jules

vernon
04-02-05, 12:27
Hi, Thanks so much for the CD set, I use it daily. I have bought so many different CD'S Tapes etc on anxiety and relaxing but find the voices put me off a lot. But the voice of Meg and Ruth are comfortable to listen to.I have listened to all the CD's quick and now I am going through them agaon but only a little at a time so I can fully take it all in. I Put the set on my MP3 player so I can listeb abywhere anytime which is a good Idea as they are so compact. The Last CD relaxation with Ruth I find great and realy relaxes me,. I mostly listen to the deep relaxation track, Moving the nind to diferent parts of the body I use this every morning on waking and at night before I go to sleep. Thanks again for the set it has been a big help to me. Take Care. Vernon

Meg
09-02-05, 18:51
I met up with the senior manager of the National Phobic Society last November at the Anxiety Conference that Nic and I attended.

I'd been wanting some independent body who didn't know me or this site to review the CD set and she offered to undertake getting this done.

Here is the review and it will be published in their news bulletin in March.

The set will now go on to be formally reviewed by one of their patron psychiatrists . I do not expect that to be a speedy process.

A donation from each sale will go to Nicola to help run this site.

Overcoming anxiety review:
By Myrna Rollins

Overcoming Anxiety is an 8 CD set, self-help programme specifically designed to help you manage, cope and overcome anxiety and panic.

The course consists of 7 chapters; one chapter per CD and a relaxation chapter, which is found on the last CD. The course is set out in a progressive order therefore in order to get the most benefit it is helpful to listen to the CD’s in their correct order, one at a time.

Each chapter covers different topic areas relating to panic and anxiety:-

In chapter 1, you will learn all about the background to anxiety and panic and different types of anxiety. You will also learn about recurring themes in anxiety and common symptoms associated with it. The chapter also deals with thoughts and how our thoughts can affect us in our day-to-day lives. A very useful technique documented in this CD is the necessity of journaling, i.e. keeping a note or a record of the thoughts and emotions you are going through which in turn leads to a final section on prognosis of anxiety and panic.

The final section of chapter 1 deals with prognosis, and straight into chapter 2 we are introduced to how we understand and cope with the acute symptoms. It covers what things may trigger our panic or anxiety and the importance of attitude towards panic. It includes a very useful section on what is known as ‘under-reacting’ - which is an effective way of dealing with stress and anxiety. So, rather than over-react at everything, we should ‘under-react’. A useful description of the limbic system (a system of functionally related neural structures in the brain that are involved in emotional behaviour) helps the listener understand the processes the brain goes through during anxiety. The chapter also includes a very informative section on the different types of anxiety, which should be beneficial to all listeners.

Chapter 3 or ‘reality check’ as I describe it, is mainly all about our thoughts and how our perception of events is critically important and not the actual event itself. It provides the listener with some useful pointers such as not telling others or vocalising our negative thoughts as the speaker claims that 95% of our thoughts will never happen, therefore it is important to monitor our negative thoughts and not make them a reality.
There was a particularly invaluable section on ‘categories of thought’ such as tunnel vision etc. and an effective technique known as ‘step down the ladder’.

Chapter 4 moves on to the more physical element of anxiety and provides the listener with useful ways on how to look after yourself by eating right and how certain food stuffs can actually trigger anxiety. It also deals with sleep problems and includes some useful tips and how to get a good nights sleep. It also covers alternative therapies for coping with anxiety and panic.

Chapter 5 introduces how we can manager our emotions and how the ‘inner critic’ can be trained as well as the ‘mind over matter’ trick. The chapter also includes a useful section on practical steps one can take to improve self-esteem and self-concept. A very informative section is where the speaker talks about and explains in good detail how CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) and psychodynamic therapy work.

Chapter 6 entitled ‘behaviour traits’ deals with obsessiveness, disappointment and being in control amongst others, but a useful tip gathered from this chapter is that it informs the

Laurie28
10-02-05, 11:51
Hiya Meg,

I am on CD 5 - sorry for lagging behnid a bit.

Review was good wasn't it!! Are you pleased??

Lucky

Meg
10-02-05, 16:37
Hi Lucky,

Yes I am.

It great to have a completely independent review by someone who doesn't know me and I haven't ever spoken to before and a recommendation from the largest overall mental health society.

It really validates the Overcoming Anxiety CD set and helps me to feel that all those hundreds of hours work both in writing it and getting the recording and production done were worth it.

Meg

nomorepanic
12-02-05, 16:06
Meg

Great news!

I am so pleased that they carried the review out as we were never sure whether they would or not.

A great review there and I am sure the CD's will be a big hit and help a lot of people.

Well done to you:D

xx

Nicola

mojo5
12-02-05, 17:05
Hi Meg

Congratulations on your acheivements and recognition ! -

I've not been here that long but I can see you work very hard here and your effort is much appreciated.

Thankyou.

Best wishes.
Mo.

Lottie32
14-02-05, 10:37
Hi Meg

I've just logged on to check the review, which is really very good!

My only real criticism of the CD's is that you didn't get your act together and record them years ago - I'd be so much better now if I'd had something like this to help me through!!!

Although I was "better" when I received my CD's, it has still amazed me that there are still things I didn't know, or hadn't fully understood (you would have thought that being a fully fledged panicker I would "know it all" by now)

The other thing that I thought was really excellent was that your CD's would work really well for somebody who was going through therapy - CBT. Having just finished CBT, I know that there is nothing that you recommended, discussed or explained that would have in any way contradicted the work that I was doing with my councellor, and in fact it complimented it greatly.

So very well done, and thank you for letting me road test them!

Love

Charlie

(p.s. - when is the depression one coming out???? hint hint) X

Charlie

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Wannabeloved85
01-09-05, 16:28
ive come to the conclusion that theres no such thing as free help! i know i sound awful but how much money must we pay to get rid of such an awful 'thing' i never paid to get it? I bet people out there have forked out hundereds and hundereds of pounds. just like the linden method and countless herbal rememdies, hypnotherapy,books etc. I know spending lots of time making,creating these cd's, books,courses should be worth something, but its just plain annoying! so i guess to those out there unemployed or just able to manage...were simply stuck with our own solutions, weather they work or not.

nomorepanic
01-09-05, 18:21
I totally agree about some of the apparent "miracle cure" products out there that people try to sell you. Linden is one of those that comes to mind as well.

I do think however that books, herbal remedies and hypnotherapy are worth the money - pity we can't get hypnotherapy on the NHS though!

The CD set that Meg did cost her many thousands of pounds to make and she gave out 40 free copies to people on this site and asked them to review it for her - hence this post.

It is a great set of cd's that can be listened to over and over again and Meg doesn't claim to cure you in 7 days or after listening to the cd's like some do.

Online forums like this are completely free to join and offer valuable advice to sufferers and they work well.

Also No Panic (the charity) offer a free telephone recovery course that is done over the phone in the evenings. The only cost is the cost of the call and if you are with BT like me then all evenings calls cost just 5p so how is that for cheap therapy.

Some people want to spend hundreds of pounds on CD's, books, miracle cures etc but there is loads of free advice and support too so I hope you can find something that suits you as well.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

mico
01-09-05, 19:04
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">ive come to the conclusion that theres no such thing as free help! i know i sound awful but how much money must we pay to get rid of such an awful 'thing' i never paid to get it? I bet people out there have forked out hundereds and hundereds of pounds. just like the linden method and countless herbal rememdies, hypnotherapy,books etc. I know spending lots of time making,creating these cd's, books,courses should be worth something, but its just plain annoying! so i guess to those out there unemployed or just able to manage...were simply stuck with our own solutions, weather they work or not.

<div align="right">Originally posted by Wannabeloved85 - 01 September 2005 : 16:28:31</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

I can totally understand you here, I feel your pain.

But, I think the real question is will it help?

There's so many different sources for this kind of thing, some trustworthy, some not so. And when you throw in broadly advertised and well circulated self-therapies which receive nothing but bad press under the expensive price tag, then it's no wonder people have concerns about how much they are paying for such things.

However, anyone here will express their gratitude towards Meg's expertise and the help that she gives here on a daily basis with nothing motivating her other than her own personal reasons. I think that qualifies as a trustworthy source.

Now ask yourself, how much is an increased quality of life worth?

mico

p.s No, I haven't bought it either [:I]

eeyorelover
01-09-05, 19:06
yes there are alot of people who try to profit from people by selling miracle cures that don't really work(hope they all get hemorrhoids the size of golf balls) but there are also the ones that really want to help. Some of them have even been where we are and found their way out. The thing is that nowadays (oh god I sound like my Mother) everything costs money. and what better to spend the money on than your health and wellbeing.

Sandy
(eeyorelover)

Wannabeloved85
02-09-05, 12:40
i totally understand that having your life back is worth everypenny, but when money is tight or the thing dont work, ts just annyoing! Im not 'dissing' the cd set, im just simply saying that everything and anything now has a price tag as eayorelover just said. I can se that the cd set has helped lots of ppl here, not totally curing { i dont think anything can cure you from this anyway, not just like that,it takes time} but it has helped.

mico
02-09-05, 13:26
I fully agree wannabe.

But remember, this website is free and if you stick around, then you'll learn a lot. Pick up a few books from the library, then you'll learn some more.

Unfortunately our natural nature seems to be to find the quickest fix around, but as you say, there isn't one. No CD set will cure you, neither will no website or book, or even personal threapist. They have enourmous value in increasing your understanding, and I'll stand by that (in which case I guess expensive CD sets are more available to 'richer' folk who don't mind spending a little cash for a little extra understanding).

But, the real help is right in your own hands. If you bought this CD set and practiced everything it teaches in your daily living, then it probably would cure you. However, you could buy it, listen to it a couple of times and feel no benefit from it. The real work is in your own hands.

mico

Wannabeloved85
02-09-05, 13:32
i totally agree, you can have all the cures/work books etc you want but in the end its all up to you!
I must say though lol that i might just save alittle each week and actually buy the set, its had great responses!. you can have all the knowledge in the world, but its up to you how u use it!

Meg
02-09-05, 14:14
Hi Becci

I can completely understand your thoughts and concerns.

Let me explain how these CD's came about orginally.

Once I recovered from panic, the word got around my local area and I was innundated with calls of people wanting help . The GPs sent people, the local health/beauty salon sent people , the local therapists sent people and I did run a few 'anxiety management' days but by the nature of the beast those I needed to reach most couldn't get to me.

So I wrote help sheets which grew and grew and then I linked up here with Nic and started answering posts and realized that we spent our time repeating ourselves.
People who are acute do not spend time using search tools , they just want answers and reassurance.

The scale of the problem became all too apparant and it was suggested to me that I convert the fact sheets into chapters and then onto CD's which means its very easy to take in the information as concentration flags when you're acute as you probably know.

I looked round at what other sets were on the market and was pretty disgusted at the one other set from the Uk which has very little content at a premium rate. 2 sets from the US , one is ok but $400.00, the other is rubbish so I set about to do a better job for less.

Yes they did cost me thousands of pounds to produce - its amazing how much studios and editing costs, as well as a package to put it in, and no I haven't made it back but it actually doesn't matter as I know that the contents of each CD is sound and every time I send out a set, I hope I'm doing some good for someone.

If I wanted to make shed loads of money I would be a private CBT therapist.
I do do emergency visits to those in crisis on occasions - I spent 3 hours with someone I'd never met late the other night but was glad that when I left he was in a better state than when I got there. Its not the first of those visits by any means and I'm sure it won't be the last.

I also have spent many hours on the phone to members here and my email inbox and PM inbox are full of people needing a bit extra help.

People have emailed me wanting a CD set and I've rented them a set , others have bought one CD a month. I'm open to suggestions but I cannot afford to send a set out free to each person that registers here and many would not, just as both you and Mico have mentioned, appreciate them or follow them and the exercises even if I did.

It was really interesting that the three most persistant people who wanted to desperately test them, two from here and one not from this forum, as they had no money for any other help at all were the three people who never sent back their review sheets or answered emails or even ever got in contact at all - but a set appeared on eBay 10 weeks later and one of them was the seller and on the page was:
Very much improved - No longer needed.

I spend several hours most day on this forum anyway, giving the same advice as is on the CD set anyway just not in a tutorial chapter set out way.

I hope that helps explain how they came about to exist.

Meg

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

tracyp584
02-09-05, 15:54
Hi,

Do you think the CD's will work well alongside, the behaviour therapy i started? Or will i confuse myself?!!( it dosent take alot!!)

tracy x x

Meg
02-09-05, 16:48
Give your behaviour therapy a good chance on its own before considering adding in anything else. It may be all you need and you will be busy enough with homework and exercises from that without adding in another lot.

If once thats finished you still feel incomplete let me know what you're lacking or are still unsure about and I'll let you know how its covered in the CD course.

Sometimes more help isn't any better - its just more.

Meg

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Wannabeloved85
03-09-05, 15:52
hi meg,
What can i say? i dont know how u do it lol u remind me little like me, in the future but way more successful! im halfway through a selfhelp booklet that i wrote myself. i dont intend on doing anything with it mind, but i just find it interesting and
keeps me busy etc.
I truly do admire you for all the hard work you do. I do understand that u cant give out free cd sets. As im only 19, im a lil stubborn and expect so much lol i think im a lil too honest too{hence my stubborn quote}
Thanks for explaining!
Take care
Beccix x x
P.s Well done!!!

sadie
07-09-05, 20:56
I seems I may be one of the people that may have needed the CD's that Meg had made and not returned the work sheets.

One of the things that I have had to work on throughout my anxiety has to follow things through and not give up... I think I am getting better at this. I have filled in all but one of the sheets but never did send them back but I did listen to them all lots of times and gave feedback for them all on the forum as requested.

I will return these CD's to Meg or to Nomorepanic or to anyone else who will benefit as much as I have from them. They are all in new condition.

Just PM with the best option.

sadie

Meg
07-09-05, 22:29
You did great Sadie with all your feedback thanks.
You sent yours online as well as here so no sheets were needed back.

Meg x