PDA

View Full Version : Retired at 60 and anxious/depressed

tamo
05-08-17, 09:32
Its been a while since I was here but wanted to come and post .I retired in March at age 60 and finding it hard to cope . My moods are up and down ,terrible anxiousness every day with some bouts of depression ,dull foggy head type of feeling , not painful but so foggy and well just feel half there . I know I should pursue new hobbies ,keep fitter ,eat better etc . I feel like life's disappeared and I'm only 60 . I'm now in the UK benefits system which took a while and once your there is hard to get back out as even earning a small amount is taken from your benefits ( I was thinking of a part time job around 16 hours a week ) ,I feel trapped .

braindead
05-08-17, 11:05
I RETIRED AT 59 , and went on uk benefits, the doc said how many breakdowns do you want before you retire. I am ill at the moment been in depression 1` year but before i used to ride a bike 15mile twice a week, took my terrier walks , went for a odd pint of Stella .use your bus pass and ride to places. I feel like you at the moment NUKED i hate my brain:curse:

Cherryade
05-08-17, 13:09
Have you thought about volunteering? That would give you a purpose and not affect your benefits.

Darkdays
08-08-17, 17:00
Hi just happened to see your post..I know exactly how you feel.I am in my late fifties and haven't worked for many years..Having cared for my late husband..I do one voluntary job and have just got another one..Just got to get out of house..Definately helps.

pulisa
08-08-17, 18:02
In my opinion there's not enough help for people struggling following retirement. It's a huge adjustment to make especially when you already have issues with anxiety and depression. I think a part time/consultancy job to suit your terms would help you to get some routine back to your life and give you a new focus but it's far from easy these days when you have a lot to offer but younger people take preference.

braindead
09-08-17, 09:08
A GREAT JOB ,if physically fit is a supermarket trolly person, collecting all the used trollies from outside the store, you meet people and keep fit. ps you could get wet on rainy days .:whistles::whistles::whistles:

Jools33
09-08-17, 22:15
You haven't mentioned what you do. However if you can drive local car auction sites and repair shops employ zero hour drivers. You can pick your own hours and when you want to work. Have a look on the web.

tamo
14-08-17, 08:57
Thank you all for your replies ,lots of good suggestions . I guess its all down to me to make this transition work . Mt GP has reffered me to an online CBT course which runs for 8 weeks . I cant remember what its called i,m still waiting on my letter . Trying to keep as positive as possible ,cut the drinking out too as I was using that as a crutch which was making me worse longer term . Thanks again :)

Fidget
17-08-17, 06:12
Hi Tamo. I so understand how you feel. I took early retirement last year at age 57. I'd had enough of the rat race and wanted to declutter my life and find inner peace. Sold up and moved to rural France, where the air is clean, lots of space, peace and tranquility. I've had "flirtations"with anxiety and depression for most of my adult life, and indeed have really struggled in the past. Last time was 8 years ago when I eventually decided I needed medication as I was really struggling with depression anxiety and panic, and had been on citalopram since. Last year I started to wean myself of the meds as I felt so well, and eventually stopped in March. Anxiety back 1 month later, and despite resuming meds, I cannot find relief. In fact I feel like I have been through hell

I am seeing a cbt therapist. She posed the question based on my discussions that my previous work life was so full-on, and my down time was also consumed with pursuing personal goals, that I never learned to relax. I used alcohol every evening to help unwind, a practice I continued here in France.

Perhaps after 40 years of work and daily stress, we have simply forgotten how to relax, and be comfortable with simply being with.....me. I know I am struggling to be with me, I suffer terribly with intrusive thoughts which cause great anxiety for me. I am trying to learn to let them go, but it's not easy. I have found that when I am distracted , I am calmer, so perhaps finding occupation is an aid to recovery, but I believe the real solution is to find peace from within. I suspect this will be the biggest challenge I will face. All the best

pulisa
17-08-17, 08:11
Hi Tamo. I so understand how you feel. I took early retirement last year at age 57. I'd had enough of the rat race and wanted to declutter my life and find inner peace. Sold up and moved to rural France, where the air is clean, lots of space, peace and tranquility. I've had "flirtations"with anxiety and depression for most of my adult life, and indeed have really struggled in the past. Last time was 8 years ago when I eventually decided I needed medication as I was really struggling with depression anxiety and panic, and had been on citalopram since. Last year I started to wean myself of the meds as I felt so well, and eventually stopped in March. Anxiety back 1 month later, and despite resuming meds, I cannot find relief. In fact I feel like I have been through hell

I am seeing a cbt therapist. She posed the question based on my discussions that my previous work life was so full-on, and my down time was also consumed with pursuing personal goals, that I never learned to relax. I used alcohol every evening to help unwind, a practice I continued here in France.

Perhaps after 40 years of work and daily stress, we have simply forgotten how to relax, and be comfortable with simply being with.....me. I know I am struggling to be with me, I suffer terribly with intrusive thoughts which cause great anxiety for me. I am trying to learn to let them go, but it's not easy. I have found that when I am distracted , I am calmer, so perhaps finding occupation is an aid to recovery, but I believe the real solution is to find peace from within. I suspect this will be the biggest challenge I will face. All the best

This is so true. I'm exactly the same in that I have forgotten how to relax (if I ever did!). It can't be easy for you, Fidget, but I do hope you find your inner peace within your new life in France.

Fidget
17-08-17, 08:43
Thank you Pulisa, your kind no words mean a lot to me. I to hope you find find peace in your life