PDA

View Full Version : Question re Rabies

Munchlet
06-08-17, 11:17
So as some of you might be aware I have a major fear of Rabies. I live in the UK so not really a problem here but it has always been something that scares the life out of me.

Anyway I recently saw a Naturopath (former NHS GP) regarding ongoing IBS other general symptoms and borderline thyroid results.

He suggested that I use an adrenal glandular product as he thinks I have Adrenal fatigue which is stopping my body utilising thyroid hormone and hence giving me all these symptoms.

He gave me details of products that he recommends and the company is UK based and they have a very good website which explains exactly how they source/make their products.

My concern is the glandular supplement he suggested comes from cows and it says on site their meat comes from free range cows who are grass fed, free from antibiotics etc and they come from Argentina or New Zealand.

Now I happen to know that Argentine Cattle quite frequently get rabies from Vampire bats.

I emailed the company supplying the supplement and they said that all of their meat is checked by vets before and after slaughter and certificates issued and they follow the FDA recommendations and the meat they use comes from the same meat that is going into the human food chain so it is perfectly safe for human consumption.

My concern is the glandular products aren't cooked, they are freeze dried and then ground into a fine powder and from what I've read freeze drying doesn't kill the rabies virus.

So the question is do you think it's possible to contract rabies by taking these supplements?

I know this might seem extreme and I want to try the product but I can't stop worrying.

TattooArtist
06-08-17, 13:22
1. I would ask an actual MD about taking these things. If you are having thyroid problems, you will need a prescription to replace the chemicals your glands have stopped producing. I'm all for natural healing but you shouldn't take supplements based on a quack's hunch. Blood work will easily screen for glandular disorders.

2. You need to treat your anxiety. There is likely nothing else wrong with you.

3. You absolutely CANNOT get rabies this way. Sometimes it sounds like you WANT rabies. You realize rabies is treatable, yes? Also so rare that you will not ever get it. This fixation is driving your whole life.

Munchlet
06-08-17, 13:55
Sorry I probably wasn't clear he is a former GP who trained in America as an Endocrinologist. He became a naturopath as he believes thyroid disease is very undertreated in the UK and our ranges for treatment are far too wide, he therefore decided he would advise people on how to treat naturally based on what he learnt during his years of training. I have had numerous blood tests done and I have been taking a small dose of thyroid hormone but it hasn't alleviated a lot of my symptoms.A lot of endos believe that the Adrenal glands and thyroid are very closely linked and one doesn't work without the other which is why he suggested the supplement, he did a lot of tests during my visit as well.

I realise it is a grey area and a lot of Dr's don't consider there is such a thing as Adrenal Fatigue but on the other hand if it does exist I think people who suffer from anxiety are prime candidates for it because of the stress it places on our bodies.

Obviously I don't WANT Rabies it is unfortunately one of the things I'm hung up on along with cancer, in the same way many people fixate on their heart or MS etc etc.

The reason I am going down this route is in the hope that I might be able to get some relief from my anxiety and actually start living a normal life.

MyNameIsTerry
06-08-17, 14:23
1. I would ask an actual MD about taking these things. If you are having thyroid problems, you will need a prescription to replace the chemicals your glands have stopped producing. I'm all for natural healing but you shouldn't take supplements based on a quack's hunch. Blood work will easily screen for glandular disorders.

Adrenal fatigue isn't recognised by the medical world as they are divided on it due to lack of evidence. You won't get a prescription for that. Unless you have something like Addisons, they will look at it the same way as many other unknown, can't quite put my finger on it types of things.

If he was a former NHS GP, he is easy to check out. He is likely still licenced, just not working for the NHS anymore.

---------- Post added at 14:23 ---------- Previous post was at 14:09 ----------

He gave me details of products that he recommends and the company is UK based and they have a very good website which explains exactly how they source/make their products.

My concern is the glandular supplement he suggested comes from cows and it says on site their meat comes from free range cows who are grass fed, free from antibiotics etc and they come from Argentina or New Zealand.

Now I happen to know that Argentine Cattle quite frequently get rabies from Vampire bats.

I emailed the company supplying the supplement and they said that all of their meat is checked by vets before and after slaughter and certificates issued and they follow the FDA recommendations and the meat they use comes from the same meat that is going into the human food chain so it is perfectly safe for human consumption.

My concern is the glandular products aren't cooked, they are freeze dried and then ground into a fine powder and from what I've read freeze drying doesn't kill the rabies virus.

Some thing to consider:

1) A doctor is recommending so you would think it has been checked out by him? If he's still a licenced doctor, he is very accountable.
2) The product is derived from a country with active rabies in cows therefore ALL food safety people across the world will have made provision to prevent that reaching their country's food chains.
3) The company says they are vet tested before & after slaughter.
4) The meat is being sold into the food chain. Since the FDA are quoted, I'll assume this means the US are allowing it's importation and they must be checking foods too to ensure their standards are met (that may differ if they are in a Customs Union with the country).
5) Where is the evidence there are problems with rabies in cow products coming from Argentina? It would be a major health problem, something at national media level. Think about how our contaminated meat scandals have dominated the news as they were detected.

So, based on all of that, how logical is it that the freeze drying process even matters?

Fishmanpa
06-08-17, 15:27
Rabies transmission just doesn't work that way.

Back in 2012, you posted this...

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone has tried couselling in a bid to try and combat their HA?

Because my current bout of HA is probably the worst it's ever been....

I'm wondering if you ever did seek counselling for your anxiety?

Positive thoughts

Munchlet
06-08-17, 16:23
Thanks MyNameIsTerry the Dr said he's used the product himself which is why he recommended it, he also mentioned that before synthetic treatment was available that was how many illnesses were treated by using the equivalent raw animal product. When you list it all out like you did it does seem there's an awful lot of checks in place to stop it happening. I guess this is just my anxiety manifesting itself!

I did Fishmanpa I've also had CBT, more than once, bought self help books, tried a variety of different medications, moodgym, I feel like I've exhausted every avenue! I seem to be able to rationalise for a while then go back to square one!

paranoid-viking
06-08-17, 16:57
So the question is do you think it's possible to contract rabies by taking these supplements?

No.

It seems like it is fashionable among HA sufferers to be worried about this in humans virtually non-existing viral diseases. At least this summers where we have a rabies thread about every week.

---------- Post added at 17:57 ---------- Previous post was at 17:55 ----------

3. You absolutely CANNOT get rabies this way. Sometimes it sounds like you WANT rabies. You realize rabies is treatable, yes? Also so rare that you will not ever get it. This fixation is driving your whole life.

Rabies is not treatable. Everyone who gets it; aproximately 0,000000000001% of humanity; dies, and they dies very fast. But the OP does not have rabies and he will not get it.

Fishmanpa
06-08-17, 16:58
I did Fishmanpa I've also had CBT, more than once, bought self help books, tried a variety of different medications, moodgym, I feel like I've exhausted every avenue! I seem to be able to rationalise for a while then go back to square one!

While there are cases where mental health issues are resolved totally, most, or at least what I've experienced and seen, are somewhat chronic or acute. You've managed to have periods of relief but the dragon bears his head again and it's "Blip City". You have the tools, it's just a matter of using then regularly. It's like working out. Stop going to the gym and you lose the gains you've made. You know what you need to do. It's that and continuing to practice the techniques on a regular basis. I have swallowing issues from my cancer. I have to do swallowing exercises regularly (every day) to maintain what most people take for granted. I can tell you I'm reminded pretty clearly when I slack off ;)

Positive thoughts

paranoid-viking
06-08-17, 17:02
Sorry I probably wasn't clear he is a former GP who trained in America as an Endocrinologist. He became a naturopath as he believes thyroid disease is very undertreated in the UK and our ranges for treatment are far too wide, he therefore decided he would advise people on how to treat naturally based on what he learnt during his years of training. I have had numerous blood tests done and I have been taking a small dose of thyroid hormone but it hasn't alleviated a lot of my symptoms.A lot of endos believe that the Adrenal glands and thyroid are very closely linked and one doesn't work without the other which is why he suggested the supplement, he did a lot of tests during my visit as well.

I realise it is a grey area and a lot of Dr's don't consider there is such a thing as Adrenal Fatigue but on the other hand if it does exist I think people who suffer from anxiety are prime candidates for it because of the stress it places on our bodies.

Obviously I don't WANT Rabies it is unfortunately one of the things I'm hung up on along with cancer, in the same way many people fixate on their heart or MS etc etc.

The reason I am going down this route is in the hope that I might be able to get some relief from my anxiety and actually start living a normal life.

Well, unlike rabies; cancer is unfortunately a very poosible reality for many of us to worry about. But worrying about an almost non-existing ilness like rabies is really a waste of time.

Munchlet
06-08-17, 17:29
Thanks guys really appreciate the input I know it's stupid and when I mentioned it to my husband he just laughed.

I visited a forum where quite a lot of people are taking this supplement and they all seem to be doing well so I think I'll let that alleviate my fears!

Annaboodle
06-08-17, 18:32
Thanks guys really appreciate the input I know it's stupid and when I mentioned it to my husband he just laughed.

I visited a forum where quite a lot of people are taking this supplement and they all seem to be doing well so I think I'll let that alleviate my fears!

Well, these things aren't ever usually rational as the health anxiety messes with our thoughts so much. I grew up in the 1980s and was hysterically anxious about rabies as a child back then after my parents let me watch this stupid drama about it on TV when I was like 10 years old.

I would revisit the CBT and other things you have tried and just keep adding to your toolbox of things that help with the anxiety.

ScaredLizard
06-08-17, 18:52
Adrenal Fatigue isn't a real ailment from what most practicing medical doctors think. Honestly it sounds like everything you are going through is tied in with anxiety. IBS and anxiety tend to go hand in hand. I'd consider seeing an actual doctor over a naturapath to get your thyroid checked and to get on medication for anxiety.

Also for your IBS I don't know how bad your symptoms are but you could look into the FODMAP diet! It can help a lot with IBS sufferers.

AntsyVee
06-08-17, 20:44
Fishmanpa: You've managed to have periods of relief but the dragon bears his head again and it's "Blip City". You have the tools, it's just a matter of using then regularly. It's like working out. Stop going to the gym and you lose the gains you've made.

This ^^^