PDA

View Full Version : I have generalized anxiety disorder.

deejaay2
06-08-17, 20:57
Hello, all! I'm a newbie to this forum lol. But recently, I found out that I have GAD. Been excessive worrying, having panic attacks since young (eleven was my first panic attack) it continues through my life and it's stopping me from doing things that i enjoy. :weep:

justin7278
06-08-17, 21:02
Hello, all! I'm a newbie to this forum lol. But recently, I found out that I have GAD. Been excessive worrying, having panic attacks since young (eleven was my first panic attack) it continues through my life and it's stopping me from doing things that i enjoy. :weep:welcome, Gutted for you, how old are you now?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

deejaay2
06-08-17, 21:04
welcome, Gutted for you, how old are you now?

Thank you! And I'm eighteen years old. This been going on for awhile.

justin7278
06-08-17, 21:27
I started with anxiety when I was 15! I'm now 41and still have it[emoji107] I've had periods that were good and times that were bad. With me, my triggers are overworking or taking to much on and then it starts. If I spot that I'm starting to get anxious or stressed soon enough I can control it, if not it gets the better of me, I think if you know what triggers it you can try to keep it under control.

deejaay2
06-08-17, 22:12
I started with anxiety when I was 15! I'm now 41and still have it[emoji107] I've had periods that were good and times that were bad. With me, my triggers are overworking or taking to much on and then it starts. If I spot that I'm starting to get anxious or stressed soon enough I can control it, if not it gets the better of me, I think if you know what triggers it you can try to keep it under control.

Yeah, well my triggers are death and caffeine.
I think I have it under control.

My panic attacks can be small or full blown.

snowghost57
08-08-17, 01:40
My therapist told me to write the situation down. This is an excerpt from a book "The feeling good handbook" by David Burns, M.D.

What is the situation? Only the facts.

Thoughts or beliefs? Self talk.

Feelings, how do you feel as a result of your thoughts?

Dispute thoughts or beliefs. What is unrealistic in your thinking? What are your dogmatic shoulds and musts?

I don't "fight" anxiety. I challenge my thoughts, I ask myself what value do they have? I started out by writing them down, now I do it in my head.

I did these steps 20 times a day if I had too. I've been thinking about anxiety and we keep saying it came back, it's bothering me again. There is no IT, we are in control of our thoughts. Someone posted on here that a thought is a wisp of wind or smoke. We have to get out of our own heads!

We can overcome anxiety! It takes work and practice.