PDA

View Full Version : Worried by spot(?) on the back of my mum's neck

neonlights
06-08-17, 21:31
The other night my mum asked me to see if I could see this 'lump' on the back of her neck and say whether it was a spot or a mole. It is slightly raised, symmetrical, circular and almost skin tone in colour. I now of course am petrified that this is a mole that spells cancer! I told her I would worry about it and she said "It's not a mole, it's probably a skin bump because I'm getting older". Clearly, she is not worried about it. Furthermore, she said it has probably always been there but it's hard to tell because it's in such a hard to see place.
Please someone reassure me. I know she will not get it checked unless it changes so that is out of the question (btw she is an ex-nurse and is aware of my anxiety that often revolves around health).

KK77
06-08-17, 21:57
This is just your anxiety playing up... It could be so many benign things - cancer being very low down on the list. And you say she's an ex-nurse, so would be aware if it had grown or bled etc. Our skin is the largest organ we have so these sorts of anomalies are to be expected. Easier said than done but you need to focus on your anxiety - I think your mum will be just fine.