PDA

View Full Version : Hello to everyone

Astrid
15-11-04, 11:46
Dear all!

I just thought I would send you all an e-mail to introduce myself and to say hello to you all!
I'm 26 and have been suffering from panic attacks and general anxiety over the last year. I had several car accidents and hated my job and started to feel more and more uncomfortable.. slowly my symptoms persisted up to the point where i was afraid of dying every second of the day. I quit my job and moved in with my boyfreind.... but my symptoms would not go away....

I live in Switzerland, and here things like anxiety/panic attacks are never ever talked about.... so i went to see my doctor who prescroibed me a very small dosage of Xanax... i felt better for a while but then got paranoid that i would get addicted to it! so my doctor trie dto weane me off by giving me paxil but only ended up having terrible side-effects!

Then from one day to another my panic attacks went away.. the point was that i stope dthinking about them... quite simple and easy to say but so hard to describe it any more than that.. i didn't have any for 6 months.. i weaned myself off the xanax very very slowly with my doctor and was off xanax without any anxiety for several months... it was a feeling of complete suiccess.....

But with most things... they always come creeping back. I have found a job in London and will be moving there at the end of this month and am so worried that my 'safe' space which i had created here is not in London. Luckily I found the no more panic web-site and have seen that there are many of us out there feeling exactly the same and that help is at hand! It's one of the most reassuring things that I have had over the last couple of days!

I am currently back on xanax and am taking Buspar all on small doses but always still have a chocky throat and feel out of breath! Ithink it may also have to do with the excitement of moving and the new job.... but i am worried about the flight, the underground and have even checked out where the nearest Hospital and 24hr doctor is where i live! crazy stuff but so necessary for me....

I hope that these panic attacks will someday creap away as much as they crept into my life! I lived without them for severela months and believe that I can live like that again.... I know there is hope and that is something i did not have the first time i was suffering from panic attacks and general anxiety....

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and i hope that i can be as useful to all of you as you to me.... i will look forward in maybe even seeing some of you since i will join as a member once i arrive to the UK and hopefuly go to a seminar!

Love astrid

Karen
15-11-04, 14:25
Hi Astrid

Welcome to the forum. I think you did well for managing to control the anxiety and panic attacks in the past, and your positive attitude will help you to get it back under control again. You are making some big changes in your life and I am sure a lot of us would feel anxious about doing that.

You will find a lot of support and helpful advice here. Good luck for your move to London.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Meg
15-11-04, 14:29
Hi Astrid,

Welcome to the site .
Glad to hear you're pretty much sorted out already.

Fear and excitement cause the body to repond in exactly the same ways. Think about extreme sports - perhaps heliskiiing . Excitement and feeling that adrenalin rush ios what makes people want to go and do it .

Its just the view we take and the attitide to it that is different !

Let us know when you're here . Who are you going to be working for and where ?

Good luck with the move

Meg

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

seh1980
15-11-04, 17:42
hello Astrid,

Welcome to the site - I'm sure you will receive loads of help and support here!! I look forward to getting to know you better.

Sarah :D

sal
15-11-04, 22:04
Hi Astrid

Welcome to the site. You have suffered but have come along way forward and sometimes relapses do come about but i am sure you wont go back to where you were.

It is bound to be a big step what you are doing but you are doing it and that is what counts. You didnt let the opportunity pass you by like many of us have. I am sure once you get settled things will be so much better.

Best of luck and keep in touch.

Love Sal xxxxx

jill
16-11-04, 09:42
Hi Astrid,

Welcome to the site.

There are lots of nice people hear
who will help and support you.

Good luck with your move and your
new job.

JILLXXX

jo-jo
17-11-04, 23:07
Hi Astrid

Welcome to the forum :D Sounds like you've done really well in coping with your anxiety and panic in the past so I'm sure you can do it again! Congratulations on your new job - I always remember being told that anxiety is the flip side of excitement so I'm not surprised to hear that you're feeling a little shaky right now.

Looking forward to hearing more about you and how you're getting on.

Best wishes, Jo x

"courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear"

nomorepanic
19-11-04, 21:21
Hi Astrid

Welcome to the site and forum - good to see you here. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Nicola

LoopyLou
20-11-04, 08:39
Hi Astrid,

It's really comforting knowing that these things can be beaten (even temporarily). I'm sure your move to London will be great, it's such a busy, exciting city that you'll have so much to do and see you'll probably forget about these things altogether! I moved from a busy town in England to rural Ireland over five years ago and although sometimes hard to adjust to new ways of living etc I have (sort of) done it. Solitude is the worst thing for me to cope with here as I live in the countryside with just cows for company but It won't be like that for you, You'll make lots of friends and I'm sure will enjoy it!

Let us know how your move goes and what you think to good ol blighty!

Stay smiling
Laura x