PDA

View Full Version : Onset of Pschizophrenia or Just Anxiety?

Hutch
27-05-07, 12:42
Hey guys, I have been experiencing anxiety for the last 2 months and have already started an SSRI (a week ago) and have also already got CBT scheduled to start very soon. Im a university student who lived in a dorm this year which was very stressful considering that I had a very negative roomate. Throughout the year i noticed changes in my social abilities. I lost confidence and it got to the point where I could barely hold a conversation with anybody. I have now returned home and even found it hard not to be aqward with my own parents and family, which was very upsetting. Anyways, the anxiety really hit after I got a call from a ex gf saying she was pregnant with my kid. This turned out to be wrong and was just one of her scandalous plans to get back with me (THANKGOD). Anyways I Immediately started to experience racing thoughts, dp/dr, palpitations, sweating, lack of sleep, the whole bag of goodies. Through careful self analysis I have come to the conclusion that my anxiety is caused by my worry of a serious mental disease, like schitzophrenia. And let me tell you, just writing the word sends chills down my spine. Does anyone know if people who suffer from schitzophrenia were aware of the onset of their mental illness. Or if they unknowingly drifted into insanity. Im sure most of you have experienced this fear so hopfully the post replies help more people than just me.

Alabasterlyn
27-05-07, 13:17
Hi Hutch, Well I don't know much about schizophrenia but I know many people with anxiety disorder do worry that they are going mad. I found this online test you can take that might be able to help you a bit.

http://www.schizophrenia.com/sztest/

Yale University PRIME Screening Test
For the most accurate results, you must be entirely honest in your response to all twelve questions in this test. The test can be scored at the web site where you downloaded this screening test from. To complete the test, circle (using a pen or pencil) the response listed below the statement that best represents your level of agreement with the prior statement.

1. I think that I have felt that there are odd or unusual things going on that I can’t explain.
Definitely disagree

Somewhat disagree

Slightly disagree

Not sure

Slightly agree

Somewhat agree

Definitely agree

2. I think that I might be able to predict the future.
Definitely disagree

Somewhat disagree

Slightly disagree

Not sure

Slightly agree

Somewhat agree

Definitely agree

3. I may have felt that there could possibly be something interrupting or controlling my thoughts, feelings, or actions.
Definitely disagree

Somewhat disagree

Slightly disagree

Not sure

Slightly agree

Somewhat agree

Definitely agree

4. I have had the experience of doing something differently because of my superstitions.
Definitely disagree

Somewhat disagree

Slightly disagree

Not sure

Slightly agree

Somewhat agree

Definitely agree

5. I think that I may get confused at times whether something I experience or perceive may be real or may be just part of my imagination or dreams.
Definitely disagree

Somewhat disagree

Slightly disagree

Not sure

Slightly agree

Somewhat agree

Definitely agree

6. I have thought that it might be possible that other people can read my mind, or that I can read other’s minds.
Definitely disagree

Somewhat disagree

Slightly disagree

Not sure

Slightly agree

Somewhat agree

Definitely agree

7. I wonder if people may be planning to hurt me or even may be about to hurt me.
Definitely disagree

Somewhat disagree

Slightly disagree

Not sure

Slightly agree

Somewhat agree

Definitely agree

8. I believe that I have special natural or supernatural gifts beyond my talents and natural strengths.
Definitely disagree

Somewhat disagree

Slightly disagree

Not sure

Slightly agree

Somewhat agree

Definitely agree

9. I think I might feel like my mind is “playing tricks” on me.
Definitely disagree

Somewhat disagree

Slightly disagree

Not sure

Slightly agree

Somewhat agree

Definitely agree

10. I have had the experience of hearing faint or clear sounds of people or a person mumbling or talking when there is no one near me.
Definitely disagree

Somewhat disagree

Slightly disagree

Not sure

Slightly agree

Somewhat agree

Definitely agree

11. I think that I may hear my own thoughts being said out loud.
Definitely disagree

Somewhat disagree

Slightly disagree

Not sure

Slightly agree

Somewhat agree

Definitely agree

12. I have been concerned that I might be “going crazy”.
Definitely disagree

Somewhat disagree

Slightly disagree

Not sure

Slightly agree

Somewhat agree

Definitely agree

blackie
27-05-07, 13:35
Hiya
I have known a friend with schizophrenia and although she had this illness she was still a normal person. I know it varies with different people but it does not neccesaryly mean they have lost a complete grip on the world and have to be sedatted in a padded cell.
try talking to your doctor.
I hope you start to feel better hun.
Take care
Blackie

PUGLETMUM
27-05-07, 13:42
i would expect that for somebody who is frightened of that particular mental illness that just seeing that test could said him into a big panic attack!!!!

i like you was completly focused on this illness (cant spell it) and would ask health professionals whether i had it.

i just did that test and im happy to say that i disagreed with all of the statements so i do not have that illness, but at one time just seeing that would have freaked me out. i hope the guy who thinks hes got it is okay?

people with psychosis are not usually aware they have it, because that is the nature of psychosis the person believes that what they are feeling is real so they wouldnt question whether it was real or not or if they were going mad.

because you are not mentally ill you can question whether you are, so as long as you can worry about it you are okay.

emma

ksmith
27-05-07, 13:53
A colleague of mine was diagnosed with schizophrenia. She wouldn't turn her computer on (someone watching her through it), same with the TV. She imagined she was being stalked by M15 and the Mafia, that her husband was having an affair (he wasn't) and a white car was following her. Eventually she asked our boss to take her to the police station to report all of this. We talked her out of it and suggested she see her GP who persuaded her to voluntarily admit herself to the relevant ward at the local hospital.

When I was suffering from acute anxiety and being assessed, the Pyshciatric nurse asked me about voices in my head. I told him I heard voices, but they were either members of my family (eg things they had said) or my own. This apparently was nothing to worry about and I was eventually offered attendance at an anxiety management clinic. I think there's a huge difference in the two conditions so, from what you've said, I think you have health anxiety rather than schizophrenia.

Kay

Alabasterlyn
27-05-07, 14:13
i would expect that for somebody who is frightened of that particular mental illness that just seeing that test could said him into a big panic attack!!!!

emma

Hi Emma, It wasn't my intention to scare Hutch with the test, quite the opposite. To my mind those questions just show how very different the symptoms of anxiety are to schizophrenia. I think quite often it's the people who worry that they might have something like this that turn out not to have it.

Hutch
27-05-07, 18:04
Wow that test really made me realize how sane I am. Thanks alot. Ya i dont really experience any of the symptoms accept for the worry of going crazy. In spite of this, however, It still makes me wonder if this could be the very early stages of the illness. I did talk to my GP about it and he laughed at me. But still, does anyone know if the journey into schizophrenia for people is consciously felt or known. People always say that most schizophrenics believe they're sane, but what about the onset?