PDA

View Full Version : how do you explain your anxiety to others

geordie flower
29-05-07, 21:32
Hiya, I was just wondering how you explain your anxiety to others, I find it difficult to tell people about my anxiety I almost find myself " taking the mickey" out of myself and saying making excuses for it! Its a hard thing to explain unless youve experienced it I suppose. Thanks for listening tracey:) x

honeybee3939
29-05-07, 21:47
Hi Tracey

I think you would be surprised what people do know about anxiety. I have never had a problem telling anyone about my anxiety/panic. You can gaurentee if i ever bring up the subject to anyone they always seem to know someone that suffers also or have suffered themselves.

Hugs
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx

yorkylover
29-05-07, 23:32
Hi Im like Andrea,I dont have a problem telling anyone.I just say I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks.:hugs:

PhantasyStar
30-05-07, 00:21
Hey ya,

I think it really does depend on who you tell and who would be most suited to share this information with. So if you have friends or family who are already aware of Anxiety, then you don't really need to elaborate on the symptoms more than you require to if someone had no idea of what it feels like. If you then run the risk of having to explain to someone who has no experience or knowledge of Anxiety, then you have to use your own judgement on how they are likely to take the information, would they be someone sincere, understanding, interested, or someone who would be ignorant and unwilling to educate themselves on what you tell them. In my own case, not many people know i suffer from Anxiety, i tend to be able to hide it well, it's because i simply don't know anybody (in real life) who would understand or offer the support i need, i would even go as far as saying that if some of my friends knew they would distance themselves, simply because they are just not interested in this kind of thing. So really, it's down to judging who you tell and if they are likely to understand and support you with what you tell them

Take Care.

tnt808
03-06-07, 08:07
I have learned a valuable lesson in becareful whom you tell about your anxiety this week.

I took my daughter to her doctor's appt. w/a Developmental Pediatrician...after having been there a while, and suddenly feeling at ease w/ him and the conversation...I told him I have anxiety "So, I know how hard it can be if my daughter is suffering". He then proceeds to ping on the damn anxiety issue. MY anxiety issue! Stating that maybe my anxiety is rubbing off on her..I'm the contributing factor to issues w/her.

Which is crap! I didn't go in there for anixety w/my daughter. I went in there for something completely different.

So, my point is..if I can't tell a doctor about anxiety and him not be sympathetic and understanding...then who can I tell?!?!

tryintfloat
12-06-07, 16:15
i dont tell anyone. every time ive tried it hasnt worked well for me. i tried to tell my pastors wife once and in the middle of it she got this real critical look on her face so i stopped and said *you dont beleive me do you?* and she said NO. Ive tried to confide in a couple of others but they just seemed to distance themselves.

c

Lindalou64
12-06-07, 21:17
yes its really hard tellin others who have no clue or like when i do they just move onto a different topic like im .... or something some do understand but i dont feel comfortable with anyone 100% about this...but some do try and understand dont get me wrong its just hard for them since they never experienced one....
best to ya linda xx

and tina wow what a @@@@@@@ he was how dare he i know you girl you must of gave him a peice of ya mind...........jerk!!!!!!