PDA

View Full Version : A virtual hug would be lovely

Cece6
08-08-17, 08:50
Hi everyone,

While I do, no doubt about it, have raging Health Anxiety, I have to face up the very thing that caused it all in the first place.

For HA-er's, the following could be a TRIGGER so please stop here if you're in a bad place.

After I had my daughter I was diagnosed with a thyroid disorder. I left the symptoms for so long, because at that point I had no HA, and by that point things were quite bad. Nevertheless I took the pills and soldiered on, gradually becoming increasingly worried about my body. With this disorder, you take medication for 12-18 months then come off to see if your thyroid works again.

It's been a year since I came off of them, my health anxiety has become a million times worse, and a recent blood test showed I am probably relapsing. I don't know how to beat this thing when I also have actual medical things to contend with too, hug please!

KK77
10-08-17, 00:22
Battling 'real' physical health problems on top of anxiety is a nightmare I know only too well myself. There are no words of wisdom - only option is to "soldier" on, as you say, and perhaps tomorrow will be brighter - and better.

And with the shite weather we've been having lately, let's face it, it couldn't be any worse :lac:

Catherine S
10-08-17, 00:51
Sorry, I'm a little confused. You don't say what thyroid 'disorder' you were diagnosed with, and taking meds for it for only 18 months then see if the 'disorder' has corrected itself? Ive never come across this scenario. I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid in 2010, for which I take Levothyroxine.

Initially I was given it at 50mgs, but more recently that's been increased to 75mgs because a blood test revealed that the levels were once again showing low. I do feel I have more energy at the increased amount too...but why it takes so long for the deficiency to show up in blood tests baffles me.

Can you tell us what the thyroid disorder was/is for you?

Cece6
10-08-17, 10:59
Catherine S, for an overactive thyroid, standard treatment is to take anti-thyroid medication for 12-18 months (sometimes longer, sometimes shorter) and then come off of them to see if it remits.

I actually have Hashimoto's, which can swing between hyper and hypo as the antibodies attack the thyroid and dump excess hormone into the blood. Some people with Hashi's never need treatment for a hyper phase and are hypo on diagnosis (most common), some feel hyper phases but they're so mild they don't need treatment and others, like me, swing to levels overactive enough to warrant anti-thyroid treatment. Eventually, Hashi's will win the battle and I will be hypothyroid, it's the overactivity that really scares me. My levels were too high to be left alone after the birth of my daughter.

Perhaps you have Hashi's too?

Catherine S
10-08-17, 11:11
Cece, no for me it's always been underactive levels. I was diagnosed in 2010 and although the symptoms never really improved, the docs stuck to the initial 50mgs until just last year when blood test showed it up again. I do feel better on 75mgs, but when I first changed over I got a bit jittery inside and thought it was going the other way, but Ive stuck with it and it seems to have settled down. I've certainly seen an improvement in my breathing and energy.

They say to leave a gap of about an hour before food or other meds, but i've found its better for me if I have my weetabix immediately after I take it, then I don't get the jitters lol! My hubby had most of his thyroid removed in his 40s due to it not functioning too well, and he takes 150mgs levothyroxine but sometimes it can be increased to 200 or decreased to 125 as it can go both ways and he can be hyper or hypo. It's a bit of a nightmare for him .

:)

Cece6
10-08-17, 11:25
Totally sympathise with your husband! It can be really hard to manage, although I've had normal results for over a year now, the last test I had in June was borderline hyper again :weep:

KK77
10-08-17, 12:15
Two members replied to this thread - not one. But good luck anyway.

yvonne_uk_98
10-08-17, 16:33
sent you a pm.

Cece6
19-08-17, 10:24
KK77, I am very sorry if I offended you by not directly replying. It was nothing personal and I thank you for your input, it was reassuring. And yes the weather is still shite.

I will say though that this is obviously a site for mental health issues, and I see you seem to work within NMP aswell? That sort of passive-aggressiveness can really set someone off. I really make a conscious effort to reply to and thank everyone on my threads to avoid stuff like this.

KK77
19-08-17, 15:03
No offence Cece. I wasn't being aggressive, just blunt perhaps.

More importantly though, the weather is still utterly shite :lac:

Positive thoughts

Bigboyuk
20-08-17, 13:31
Well the weather is fine here in sunny stoke :) Anyway here's a hug for you Cece:hugs: Cheers

Magic
20-08-17, 16:38
:bighug1:for Cece x

pulisa
20-08-17, 18:01
It must be hard for you, CeCe, especially when hyperthyroidism adds to anxiety symptoms. I'm fortunate not to have thyroid problems but recognise how complex it all is to get the levels within normal range and the stress this puts you under.:hugs:

Cece6
21-08-17, 16:56
We are all good then :D

Still no improvement on the weather! :shrug:

Bigboy, Magic and pulisa, thanks so much - back at you all :hugs:

HappyBread
21-08-17, 18:29
Hi everyone,

While I do, no doubt about it, have raging Health Anxiety, I have to face up the very thing that caused it all in the first place.

For HA-er's, the following could be a TRIGGER so please stop here if you're in a bad place.

After I had my daughter I was diagnosed with a thyroid disorder. I left the symptoms for so long, because at that point I had no HA, and by that point things were quite bad. Nevertheless I took the pills and soldiered on, gradually becoming increasingly worried about my body. With this disorder, you take medication for 12-18 months then come off to see if your thyroid works again.

It's been a year since I came off of them, my health anxiety has become a million times worse, and a recent blood test showed I am probably relapsing. I don't know how to beat this thing when I also have actual medical things to contend with too, hug please!

:bighug1::yesyes::yahoo:

Hope that made you feel better :D

Cece6
22-08-17, 09:48
Thanks HappyBread!!! :hugs::hugs::hugs:

Bigboyuk
22-08-17, 12:07
How you feeling today Cece Hope you are feeling much better today and will say your recovery can start today :)Cheers

Cece6
23-08-17, 10:13
Hey Bigboy, that's really kind of you to come and check on me! I'm having a really anxious day today, I think because I was woken up at 3.30am with the storm and couldn't get back to sleep. I used to be able to sleep through anything but I've become a much lighter sleeper recently.

I hope you're having a good day?!

Bigboyuk
23-08-17, 21:33
Hey Bigboy, that's really kind of you to come and check on me! I'm having a really anxious day today, I think because I was woken up at 3.30am with the storm and couldn't get back to sleep. I used to be able to sleep through anything but I've become a much lighter sleeper recently.

I hope you're having a good day?! Np Cece :) Do you not like storms? I hate them if they are over head :eek: Have you tried a herbal sleeping remedy? Yes not had a bad day but could always be better thanks Cheers

Cece6
24-08-17, 10:35
I used to love them! I guess my constant low-level adrenaline doesn't like loud thunder :D

I have; taking a herbal anxiety preparation from my herbalist which does help a little. I don't really have any problem falling asleep, it's the waking up at every noise or just waking up randomly with racing thoughts. I find it really affects my energy the next day even if I wasn't lying awake for a long time.

Yep, could be better, but we're doing it!

Bigboyuk
24-08-17, 10:55
I used to love them! I guess my constant low-level adrenaline doesn't like loud thunder :D

I have; taking a herbal anxiety preparation from my herbalist which does help a little. I don't really have any problem falling asleep, it's the waking up at every noise or just waking up randomly with racing thoughts. I find it really affects my energy the next day even if I wasn't lying awake for a long time.

Yep, could be better, but we're doing it! Yes can watch them on tv np and enjoy it, but in reality no if in the distance I can cope, but too close and I go to pieces (: Yes we are, and we are survivors :) Cheers