PDA

View Full Version : feel like there's no escape

te34resa
18-11-04, 15:04
Hi everyone, I don't often post hereand I'm expecting no solutions but if anyone understands it must be you good people here. I am absolutely petrified of the dental treatment I need to get done. This goes much deeper, I know than just the dislike of a drill or something. Sorry if this is long but I must tell someone. I can't have a sensible conversation about my teeth with anyone, not even my husband because I'm so emotional and just cry so can't tell the dentist how I really feel. All my life I've had trouble with my teeth- all my baby teeth came through black which I'm sure is because I was fed sugared water in a bottle for the first few years of my life, anyhow....my second teeth came through really crooked and finally when I was 27 I had braces and finally a jaw operation to re-align the jaw and I was so proud of my smile. All that was before I suffer panic attacks and extreme anxiety and nervousness like I do now(I'm 44) Every situation has potential to make me shaky and sweaty. Gradually my teeth have got worse and are now crumbling. I'm supposed to have at least one crown if not more and maybe a couple of extractions. When I went to have a tooth out last year the dentist couldn't remove it all and was tugging away for over half an hour. Apparently I was biting her by the end and almost passed out. I had to be driven home. Now I can barely sit in the waiting room. The dentist I saw last month (the other having moved on) has made me two more appointments and is talking of trying to save the teeth, maybe cleaning out and filling AGAIN etc. I told her how nervous I am but can't seem to convey how I really feel. A lot of it is physical as well as I have a really small mouth and can't open it wide. Las time when I had a filling I pulled my neck muscles as I'm so tense and was in agony for a fortnight. I also suffer from catarrh and feel as if I'm choking whn I can't swallow. I've just cancelled my appointments as I can't face being in pain and needing time off work so close to Christmas. I feel as if I'm being stuffed into a black box with no escape as you can't escape your teeth. I just want to be put to sleep and wake with false teeth that can't hurt or crumble. When I told the dentist this, she laughed. I did finally get the broken tooth the dentist couldn't removed taken out at hospital and put to sleep but they were reluctant to do it, saying it would only take about half an hour. I can't sit in the chair for 10 minutes! I just need to tell people how I feel as I can't mentiondentist without wanting to cry- the panic just rises. I feel like I'm being sent to the electric chair. There are no special dentists here for fearful patients and we have little money. Thanks for readin this, anyone. For someone with a fear of making a fool of herself this is so scarey. I know I have a year of maybe six or seven appointments ahead of me. How can I possibly cope with this?

seh1980
18-11-04, 16:37
hello there,

I understand exactly how you feel. I think everyone hates having to go to the dentist. I hate it. When I was little, I had really good teeth and was so proud of them. I had to have a wisdom tooth removed a while back and it was hell. I was so scared and it took about 4 hours for the dentist to get it out. I was then meant to have the other 3 out but I refused to go get it done. Unfortunately, the other 3 wisdom teeth have grown in and there wasn't really enough room in my mouth. As a result, all my othet teeth have been pushed and I'm not so proud of my teeth anymore. I regret so much now not going to get them removed!!

Do you see a therapist at all? If you do, maybe you could talk through it with him/her and get some good tips.

Sarah :D

jill
18-11-04, 19:41
HELLO

I don't like dentist:(

My sister has a phobia of dentist, she will not
go to her local dentist at all. When she had
problems with her teeth she went to the dental
hospital. She explaind that she had a fear
of dentist, they talked to her and made her
feel comfortable.
This is just an idea, do you have a dental
hospital near you? Maybe they could help.
You do not have to pay.

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXXX

Astrid
18-11-04, 19:57
Hello!
I used to never be worried when going to see the dentist... but since I suffer from panic attacks, I started getting more and more worried about going.. i felt that I could never keep my mouth open long enough, was worrie dthat I shouldn't swallow the water in my mouth, etc... Luckily I found a really nice dentist who would put on the radio really loud while working on my teeth... that way i would listen to that and maybe move my feet with the rythm... it really did work! I know it may sound unprofessional, but my dentist did a real great job and explaine dto me exactly what he was gpoing to do, step by step, then explain the feelings i would excpect... all that with the music in the background made me feel really nice.. still a little shaky but much better than a full blown panic.

Maybe you should find a suitable dentist... I'm sure that there are some that are both free and understadning... might take a little search... but am sure you will find one.
Think of the positive things afterall... beautiful teeth will give you a beautifukl smile and something that will definitely make you happier in the long-run...
Hope you find someone suitable! Good luck!

Astridxxx:D

Laurie28
19-11-04, 11:24
Hiya,

I am also not a fan of the dentist the anticiaption is often worse than the actual treatment.

I can see that you are very very afraid though

Can you ask to be taken to the hospital and 'knocked' out for the tratment?

I'm sure people get this done and even'normal' people have a real fear

dentists are used to this fear and hopefully if you speak to yours (even by phone?) then this can be arranged

Lucky

twister
19-11-04, 14:58
Hi

Dont panic! Your dentist can refer you to the hospital for sedation with the treatment if you have too much of a phobia to have the treatment in the surgery. This is free (and the treatment is free too as a bonus!)

I think the best thing to do would be to visit your doctor and get a formal panic diagnosis. Then perhaps write a letter to your dentist if you cant face telling them. They then refer you on to the local dental hospital although there is usually a waiting list.

With sedation you will not remember anything about the treatment at all!

Emily

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
Understanding is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

nomorepanic
19-11-04, 21:28
Hiya

Try this website for some advice and help and even has a message board ....

http://www.dentalfearcentral.com/

Nicola