PDA

View Full Version : Scared >< had real bad attack

johnojpn
31-05-07, 10:11
Had to post something, i'm on day 3 of taking Citalopram, I had cut down to half a tablet from yesterday.

Today I was feeling fine, just tired from lack of sleep. Tonight I decided to go for a walk with my mum, and felt relaxed. About 30 minutes after being back home, I came over dizzy and felt like i was falling backwards. All of sudden tears were just rolling down my face and my legs went to jelly.. The palms of my hands were wet from sweat.

I sat down for bit tried to eat something (was in middle of making dinner), I was shaking and didn't want to eat anymore.

Calmed down a bit then all of sudden felt like I was loosing it, went to my room to lie down. I couldn't stop shaking, and felt sooo hot all over, then cold. The palms of my hands were sweating like nothing, I felt like i was loosing it and called mum in. I just grabbed her arm and was shaking nonstop and crying, couldn't stop moving my hands over my face, through hair.

Omg this was soooooo scary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wacko:

It lasted about 30 minutes, I'm still shaky now but feel like it's over for now. Has anyone else felt like that on the medication?? It was the scariest thing I've ever experienced, I felt like I was going to pass out and was loosing it.

Any advice please ><

Yesterday I had bad night but no where near as extreme, at dinner I broke out in sweat and didnt want to eat at all for the rest of the night.

I'm also not sleeping well, waking up after 1 hour and taking an hour to fall back to sleep.

I want to get better but this is sooo scary :weep: My mum is so worried. Sorry for the long post I hope it makes sense.

johnojpn
31-05-07, 10:47
I'm still feeling horrible, I keep coming over all hot then feeling faint again, then I get really cold and shaking, then hot again and faint. My neck feels like it's on fire sometimes.

joy
31-05-07, 11:09
I had a very bad reaction to Citalopram but most people dont, suggest you ring your Doc

Love Joy

johnojpn
31-05-07, 11:17
Thanks for the reply Joy,

I really want to call my doctor but it's 10:20 pm here >< I'm just hoping it goes soon, I feel exhusted and still getting so hot then cold

groovygranny
31-05-07, 12:58
Hi there johno,

Sounds like a classic side effect of Citalopram to me - I also had this, and yes it's extremely distressing.

I chose to carry on with the meds on the advice of my doc and a friend who is also a GP. I'm glad I did because after a while these symptoms subsided and I have only had them again once in the last 18mnths.

However, you should go to your doc just to make sure everything is ok - or do you have an out-of-hours or emergency number you could ring for advice? We have the NHS helpline here and I've found that very helpful.

Hope you'll be feeling a lot better soon.

:hugs:

johnojpn
31-05-07, 13:11
Thanks for the reply Grooveygranny :flowers:

Soo happy to hear someone else had this too... I have been so scared all night, it was soo extreme my parents were so worried. I have been getting hot and cold all night since the attack but it stopped about 30 minutes ago. I just have uneasy breathing like I get sometimes.

I have been playing the games on the site took couple hours but they helped me relax:yesyes: even if my score isn't too good :blush:

I need to find a hotline for these situations here. Doctors I will have to wait until the morning, hoping i can get some sort of sleep tonight.

:flowers:

mirry
31-05-07, 14:48
jono, what a time your having on it !
Ive had very cold hands today on it (day 2) and a inner shakey feeling all over, I cant face food either but managed to eat ice cream. I start to eat then decide no I cant eat it. Also keep burping and getting heart burn, my tounge feels tingly on the tip.
Hope you feel better now, it does say we can feel worse before better doesnt it. Im trying to keep a mentla image in my mind of this.....
I can go anywhere and not panic and be slimmer !!!
This is what i cling onto when im feeling at my worst.
Lets hope its all worth it in the end.

mirry
31-05-07, 18:09
had to phone gp cos i cant eat (watch out diet thread here i come), the thought of eating makes me feel icky, its a bit like morning sickness,lol.

My gp said , if it carries on for more than 4-5 days we will have to review it cos it should calm down, if not he will change my meds.

Hope you had a good nights sleep jono xxx

johnojpn
31-05-07, 23:34
Hey Mirry, good to hear your doing ok :)

I had better sleep last night, still woke up couple times in night but went back to sleep easily.

I have the same numb feeling on my tongue, food sometimes has no taste. At night I just don't want to eat at all, as soon as I see the plate of food I go off it right away and just can't eat.

Also the shakying I have that too during the day, it's winter here so that doesn't help haha.

Called the doctor today and they told me it's just one of the side effects that can happen. They have given me a prescription for something to help me relax. I'm pretty anxious about taking medications, but anything that can help me relax right now is worth trying.

*edit* doctor has given me lorazepam (ativan), 5 tablets to use. Nervous already about taking them figures :(, says to take them before sleeping but I really want something for evening that's when things seem to go bad. *edit*

How is your day going Mirry?

mirry
01-06-07, 08:18
jono, I ate something late last night( a handfull of chips) then woke up this morning feeling sick, havent eaten breakfast yet , cant face it.
Also feel sahkey still.

Have you tried taking a beta blocker with it for the shaking feeling ?
Its supposed to help but i havent tried it yet.
Its hard to believe that these feeling will pass , I cant wait .

johnojpn
01-06-07, 08:32
Yea it's hard to see other side of this when your in the middle of it. I'm at the other end of the day here, with my dinner sitting in front of me.... I dont know why but at night i just can't eat. My stomach felt empty out of nowhere but when i get the food in front of me I go right off it.

I didn't take the Ativan, trying to wait it out if I can. Have a feeling if I start taking something during nights I will want to rely on it, and get panicy if I run out. Going to save them for a bad time :).

Haven't heard of beta blockers, but don't know about more pills haha :S. Hope you can eat something today ;/ For breakfast I've been having cornies banana and some yoghurt so far its been ok. Lunch I just had toast couldn't stand much else.

mirry
01-06-07, 10:25
oh i just had a hell of a time, im sitting here in tears...
my daughter wanted to get soem sweets from the shop so I took her there, on the walk to the shops I felt all uneasy and light headed and shakey but carried on cos I didnt want to disapoint her.
When we wlaked in the shop I felt so panic stricken and just didnt know what to do, wanted to burst out crying and scream but I couldnt.
I just had to get out of the shop so told my daughter id wait outside, well then I freaked and I was 100% certain I was going to pass out, everything looked so unreal and I felt desperate and agitated.
When my daughter finally came out the shop I said come on lets go home and pretended I needed the toilet urgently, that way i got her to walk very fast with me, every step was so painful and home felt such along way away.

Now Im home and feel so depressed and defeated , feeling like Ill never feel normal ever again......I dont know how much more of this I can take,
its like your worst nightmare come true.

sorry to rant on, cant see me feeling better the way i feel at the moment.

johnojpn
01-06-07, 10:42
That's no good Mirry ;; Yea the attacks seem to pop up when you're not expecting it. But hang in there, just like my one last night I thought there was no way I could handle this but stick at it. Like everyone says it will get better..

I tried to go for a run on my 2nd day and that was horrible, I felt numb all over, like I was looking through my eyes but that was it. About half way I got all panicy and felt like I was going to fall over, I just tried to get home as quick as I could.

My doctor reassured me it's part of the treatment, so just stick with it. I know I'm not going to leave the house until it's calmed down as I can see a random panic attack happening..

groovygranny
01-06-07, 17:27
Hi Mirry and Johno,

Just wanted to encourage you both - you're both doing great even though you might not think it!!

Loss of appetite is one of the side effects I'm afraid, but my appetite came back almost overnight after about three weeks. Hopefully yours will come back before too long. My doc told me not to worry as long as I was drinking plenty (not alcohol!) - he said that he wouldn't be concerned with my not eating until after about 6 or 7 weeks!! I used to force myself to eat a banana every morning and that was all I could tolerate all day although I drank gallons of water and vanilla ,cammoile and honey herbal tea! I tried Complan (a food supplement) but didn't find that too palatable for me - you might find differently.

Keep on keeping on you two, I'm right behind you on this one!

:hugs::hugs:

:flowers:

johnojpn
03-06-07, 12:34
Thanks Grooveygranny! :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

At the end of day 6 on meds, and symtpoms are still here but no big attacks. I think I know how they start now and can stop it from getting bad. Just the numb, dizzy sensation is freaky during the day I don't want to move around much but I know it wont last forever :) . I can eat dinner now too which is goood! Just when I'm feeling groggy / dizzy I have no apetite.

My symptoms are during the day now which is weird, I feel good at night. Opposite from the first days where I felt good in day and horrible at night. Hopefully move up to 20mg on Tuesday. :yesyes:

Johno