PDA

View Full Version : Salmon out of date?

tillyyyyy
09-08-17, 18:24
A few days ago my dad defrosted salmon - I think my mum cooked TE same salmon today and I ate it all. It was still in date by 2 days, but if it was frozen and then thawed then left in the fridge - is it still okay to eat? Too late anyway as I ate all of it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ServerError
09-08-17, 18:27
It's too late, as you say. Not like you can go back and change the fact you ate it. If it was bad, your body will let you know in time, and you'll handle it.

However, I'm sure it was fine.

Cakelady
09-08-17, 18:32
Sounds fine & must have tasted fine too if you ate it all:)
Try not to worry xx

Carnation
09-08-17, 21:34
Food will taste bad if it is off.
Food suppliers make allowances for people that go over the date and my parents always ate things well of date and they both lived in to their 80s!. :)

MyNameIsTerry
10-08-17, 02:30
Food will taste bad if it is off.
Food suppliers make allowances for people that go over the date and my parents always ate things well of date and they both lived in to their 80s!. :)

I remember reading an article by where they interviewed one of these food science bods and she said most use by dates can be replaced with the old fashioned smell/touch/taste testing. She said certain things, like shellfish I think she mentioned, we an absolute no go but most meats could go off early or late anyway so date alone are never enough.

I've eaten yoghurt that's over 7 days out of use by date with no problems. No loss of quality either. It makes me wonder about some of these dates, especially products like yoghurt that is on the shelves weeks after all the transportation.

ScaredLizard
10-08-17, 06:46
Most foods can be used within 2-4 days of their date and still be good. We have cooked and ate beef 2 days after it's date and never got sick. I think you'll be ok!

Also it must have been a GREAT dish! How did she prepare it?

MyNameIsTerry
10-08-17, 06:51
This isn't about salmon,I was given a script for anxiety related psoriasis last month,I noticed the use by date was yesterday,so asked the pharmacist this morning if it is still ok too apply and he said they only put that date on there because there are no preservatives in it,if I wasn't running late I would have asked more questions,does anyone know ?

That's strange, Lola. I would have thought the date was relevant because it was a medication? It's not going to run out straight away on the date but the quality will fade and some meds carry dangers.

If it is a steroidal cream then I would have thought they would have said it's ok but only for X time? But they know what's best with being pharmacists. :shrug:

Surely even having preservatives in means it has a date still? They just lengthen it, don't they? :unsure:

ScaredLizard
10-08-17, 06:54
That's strange, Lola. I would have thought the date was relevant because it was a medication? It's not going to run out straight away on the date but the quality will fade and some meds carry dangers.

If it is a steroidal cream then I would have thought they would have said it's ok but only for X time? But they know what's best with being pharmacists. :shrug:

Surely even having preservatives in means it has a date still? They just lengthen it, don't they? :unsure:

Terry from what I understand while most meds loose a little bit of potency but for topical meds it's not as much a worry as long as long it's not like 5 years over date. I know I've used some bee sting kits that were two years over and they still got rid of the itching of my bug bites.

With this being a topical cream they probably figure she'll use it before it gets to be 3+ years over?

MyNameIsTerry
11-08-17, 01:11
Terry from what I understand while most meds loose a little bit of potency but for topical meds it's not as much a worry as long as long it's not like 5 years over date. I know I've used some bee sting kits that were two years over and they still got rid of the itching of my bug bites.

With this being a topical cream they probably figure she'll use it before it gets to be 3+ years over?

Thanks SL. It was the preservative thing that got me, I would have expected creams to contain ingredients to this anyway.

I guessed that with her saying it was only a day out they would know it would be used up close to the date.

Lola-Lee
11-08-17, 01:46
Terry,I had a full jar of it and it said too use sparingly,I did and had half of it still left,with still having the bloody big raised rash I didn't know wether too use it or not,I went to my Doc,this morning and he changed the cream to Advantan ,it is $18 for a really small tube,the stuff better work.:)