PDA

View Full Version : Ectopics & Beta Blockers

Jinkus
31-05-07, 21:57
Hi Guys N Gals,

I awoke last night around 3:50am with pain (the pain actually woke me from a deep sleep) in the left hand side of my chest radiating down arm. I kept calm and eventually managed to get back to sleep. This obviousy caused me some concern and i went to the doctors today to speak to him about what had happened. whilst i was there we got onto the subject of Beta Blockers to try and stop/help against my dreded ectopics.

I wanted to ask people if they have chest pain they cant explain???

Also i wanted to ask about Beta Blockers, i have never been on them and have heard negative things about taking them, has anyone found beta blockers to help/cure there ectopics???? Has anyone had any side effects from taking them.

Sorry for the questions but i have had a terrible day today with my ectopics as i must have had over 100 hard ectopics and im just gettng to a point where i ready to give up the fight.

Any advice or help would be greatfully received.

Thanks

Sean

cattttt
01-06-07, 03:17
I was taking higher dose beta blockers for my blood pressure, but I went back to the doc because the side effects were really knocking me out- feeling spaced out, drowsy, headache, palpitations, lack of interest in life......then when my anxiety got bad, she offered me a lower dose beta blocker, and I was a bit dubious. I didn't take it for ages, but one night, when I'd been awake for ages, I thought, what the hell, anything to not feel like this, and I took one- it was wonderful, all the symptoms went, and I can only describe it as feeling still. I was still tense, but the palpitations, trembling, rapid breathing, they were all gone, it was great. I've only needed to take them once more since then, as my anxiety has improved so much, but they are sitting there just in case I need them.

looking4answers
03-06-07, 08:56
I can tell you this..I had what they called tachocardia..they clocked my heart rate at over 200 beats per minute and think it was actually closer to 300.. at one time.It was when I was younger..they just said it was a medical condition and never would tell me that it was anxiety mostly,

They put me on beta blockers and a mild anti depressant.. at first the beta blockers made me a little out of breath for an hour or so after taking but i felt better the rest of the day as my system adjusted..Thats been many years ago and now I realize what they were treating me for was more anxiety ..

Beta blockers help to regulate your heart rate and keep it at a slower rate but starting out on them is touch and go..Usually a doctor will give you the lowest dose they can .. doesnt really amount to meds but they give it to you .The thing that helped me more than anything was the feeling of a security blanket making me know if my heart started beating to fast then I could always take an extra one of these to slow it down.

Its worked for me with no long term affects and well I would just try them and if your heart beat too slow then maybe ask for something more milder.. or check with your doctor other than that I feel that they gave me the confidence to do things i could have never done thinking that my heart could have caused me problems anytime.. So I would say yes they are ok.. just like anything else ,dont research what they do just try what your doctor orders montior yourself and then tell him how you are feeling other than that..I see nothing but good come from beta blockers..But im not a doctor.. good luck