PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone recognise this?

AppleCinnamon
10-08-17, 17:01
Whenever I experience a serious panic attack, I am much more prone to getting other attacks within the next days/weeks, often on a daily basis. I feel like a single panic attack can result in increased anxiety levels that are pretty much constant and that can last for weeks. This cycle is difficult to get out of, it usually takes me several horrible weeks. I don't know why I recover though, it will just subside. But one single attack can put me right back to a state of constant anxiety while recovery takes much longer. Do any of you recognise these feelings? Is there maybe a medical term for what I am experiencing? Thank you.

ana
10-08-17, 17:49
The medical term would be anxiety. :) I'm afraid a lot of people experience the same. Panic attacks aren't simply isolated instances, but are, in fact, the result of elevated anxiety levels. It's therefore normal to feel panic attacks' aftermath long after it's gone.

AppleCinnamon
10-08-17, 20:03
Well yes, it is obviously anxiety :). But I believe that the panic actually causes chemical imbalances and/or changes in the brain that make it more susceptible to anxiety and panic for a prolonged period of time.

Colin44
10-08-17, 20:05
I can relate to that. I didn't have any attacks for 2 years then had one while I was out running last year and it set me right back.

ana
11-08-17, 17:02
I think it's because once you've had the bad experience, it integrates itself into your memory and your mind starts being on red alert all the time. I wonder if you'd never panic again if you could forget all about panic and what it feels like...