PDA

View Full Version : Distress intolerance?

.Poppy.
12-08-17, 01:55
I've been going through a rough time - I have a therapy appointment next Friday - and I decided to look at the Australian CBT workbooks online. They were helpful for my HA and they have a lot of different kinds, so I figured there would be something worth reading.

I came across the distress intolerance workbook and gosh, it describes me to a "T"!! Of course you can google it, but it's basically what it sounds like - the inability to handle stressful or distressing situations, so instead you fall into various toxic behavior patterns: things like self harm, avoidance, etc, to try to cope.

It didn't mention anything about anxiety or depression or links to the two, but has anyone heard of this? I plan to bring it up with my therapist. It's strange, it's not really a diagnosis in itself and is probably an offshoot of my GAD and depression (both of which I have been diagnosed with); it just felt really eye-opening and enlightening to find this.

I do plan to print off and work on the workbook this week, and potentially take it with me to the therapy session. Hopefully that's helpful.