PDA

View Full Version : Rheumatoid Arthritis fear

shotta287
13-08-17, 13:08
Hello all,
After months of feeling fine my health anxiety has kicked in again and this time I've developed a fear of rheumatoid arthritis.

For about 5 weeks now I've developed a pain in my right knee when squatting down and my doctor has referred me to the physio. Just a few days ago I've been getting a sharp pain on my upper right arm by the elbow when straightening my arm. I've also got a few carpet burns which are still scabbed from a few weeks ago, so haven't fully healed yet.

I'm 23, male and have never smoked or drunk alcohol in my life and generally I keep fit and go gym. But I do have psoriasis. Do my symptoms mean I should get a blood test for RA?

Many thanks as always :)

Rhiannon.
13-08-17, 23:01
Hello!
Honestly your symptoms don't sound like RA, sounds more like you've strained it working out!

I have mild RA and when I get flare ups can't move certain joints, and they are hot, painful and swollen. Some days I can't even walk... and mine is mild! xD

Despite that RA isn't that bad. I've only been diagnosed in the last couple of months and still in the process of being tested for other conditions before I get out on medication for it ^^

DREAMER05
14-08-17, 02:47
I'm sure it's a strain from the gym! However feel free to get it checked out professionally if it makes you feel better. :) I've been there (coincidentally with RA scare as well) and it was simply a forearm strain along with carpal tunnel. Sometimes getting the clean bill of health from the DR is what you need to be able to relax.

Hope this helps.

Xx

shotta287
17-08-17, 21:58
My HA certainly is back with a bang. Since starting this thread my elbow pain hasn't gone and I'm getting general aches in other joints. Definitely think its due to anxiety. But going to go doctors again just to be sure.

shotta287
25-08-17, 08:50
So this past week or so I've constantly been inspecting my wrists and elbows and moving them around over and over and bending/straightening them. By doing this I've made them sore and painful which in turn has increased my fear of RA.
I can make a fist and move them as normal with no pain but they just hurt when putting weight on them. No swelling tenderness, stiffness or redness or fever.

Munchlet
25-08-17, 10:03
Hi
My Dad has been diagnosed with this and his has been so bad he couldn't move, he couldn't get in and out of a bath, couldn't raise his arms about his head, his feet, legs, hands and wrists were so swollen and painful, he was having night sweats chronic fatigue and many more symptoms.

It sounds like you have just done yourself a mischief at the Gym, I don't think you should worry about RA.

Take Care

shotta287
29-08-17, 21:40
Hello again all,
Still can't help but think I have early RA. Can't help but paint a gloomy future of me struggling to perform everyday tasks and being in severe pain and difficulty. Past few days there's been times during the day where I feel fine but suddenly if I feel a twinge of pain in my wrists or elbows I start worrying a lot and the pain gets worse.
Lastly thank you all for taking the time out of your own worries and problems and offering me support, much appreciated. I can only hope we find the strength to fight off HA.

Fishmanpa
29-08-17, 21:55
My ex suffers from this. Joints would swell in her hands and feet and sometimes other areas. The swelling was quite visable (all red and nasty swollen). There was no doubt from the initial doctors exam and it was confirmed. Also, it wasn't a a "twinge" of pain. She was practically crippled at times.

What you describe doesn't sound like what I know of RA.

Positive thoughts