PDA

View Full Version : Coping with Anxiety Abroad

natsc
14-08-17, 16:32
Hi,

I have been coping with my anxiety for just over a year now. My panic attacks started last year when I went travelling around Asia, I was super excited for the trip, until the 1st night when I felt sick and had my first panic attack. This panic lasted pretty much the entire trip, I was barely ever in a state of calm. All I wanted to do was to come home but I did not feel well enough to even get on a plane by myself.

Needless to say I survived that trip, but now I find my anxiety is much worse in the lead up and during trips. I have managed to go abroad successfully for a few days since, and I have had panic episodes but they have not been anywhere as bad.

However, my boyfriend and I have booked a holiday to Mexico in October and I can already feel myself getting worked up about it and have panic attacks now about what will happen then. I am super anxious because it is just the two of us, I don't want to ruin his time and I have just had to come home from a camping trip we went on because of a combination of illness and panic. This is also the furthest I will have gone since Asia.

Just wondering people's coping mechanisms before and during trips to deal with anxiety? Was so excited for this incredible trip when we booked it and would love to feel like that again!

MattZion
16-08-17, 12:53
Hi Natsc,

I just come across your post and I literally wrote about this to someone today so I will copy and paste it and hope this helps for you.

I wasn't able to go to newyork 6 weeks ago because of my latest episode of anxiety attacks and it was horrible I totally understand the struggle.

Before this when I used to go on holiday with Anxiety the travel was the hardest part for me but I did have ways of dealing with it. First thing I did was organisation, getting there before the crowds helped me so much more. Get your partner to sort all the passports tickets and all that stuff out so its not even a thought in your mind. I broke things up into small steps like right if I beat the travel to the airport without dying then I can do the security line and if I can do that I can get a nice book to read and so on.

Once you have made it to your destination and hotel room take 5/10 mins out to really reflex and relax and get into your own happy place we anxiety suffers have. Then the next thing is to enjoy your holiday and if you do have a wobble have a happy place ready so you can get your thoughts together and tackle another challenge!.

I know you can do this we all on here know you can do this and we are here to support you!

I hope this helps

Matt

braindead
16-08-17, 13:29
Hi,

I have been coping with my anxiety for just over a year now. My panic attacks started last year when I went travelling around Asia, I was super excited for the trip, until the 1st night when I felt sick and had my first panic attack. This panic lasted pretty much the entire trip, I was barely ever in a state of calm. All I wanted to do was to come home but I did not feel well enough to even get on a plane by myself.

Needless to say I survived that trip, but now I find my anxiety is much worse in the lead up and during trips. I have managed to go abroad successfully for a few days since, and I have had panic episodes but they have not been anywhere as bad.

However, my boyfriend and I have booked a holiday to Mexico in October and I can already feel myself getting worked up about it and have panic attacks now about what will happen then. I am super anxious because it is just the two of us, I don't want to ruin his time and I have just had to come home from a camping trip we went on because of a combination of illness and panic. This is also the furthest I will have gone since Asia.

Just wondering people's coping mechanisms before and during trips to deal with anxiety? Was so excited for this incredible trip when we booked it and would love to feel like that again!

I DONT TRAVEL I bought a 60inch Sony 3d tv now i can go anywhere in the world without getting stressed, no plane flights and my own bed at night