PDA

View Full Version : Anti-d's and husband

frances
20-11-04, 17:25
Hi everyone,
I have been feeling pretty terrible for a while so went to GP who gave me Prozac. When I told my husband he went mad and said I didn't need it and that he really didn't want me to take it as I had a bad time on Seroxat a few years ago, and he suffered as well through having to put up with me.
He is a great man but doesn't understand how you can feel anxious or depressed with no outside cause.
I am tempted to take the meds and not tell him but I will have to give up alcohol. He knows I love a drink and it's a big part of our life and would probably guess that I had to give up in order to take the Prozac.
I don't know what to do....Or can you drink while taking Prozac?
Frances

seh1980
20-11-04, 17:28
hi Frances,

I have never been on prozac but I do think that you should go ahead and take them if that's what you want to do. Also, I don't think that you should do it behind your husband's back - just tell him why you feel like you need to take them. At the end of the day, it's you that might suffer more if you don't take them...

Sarah :D

nomorepanic
20-11-04, 18:13
I took Prozac for about 9 months and never stopped drinking whilst on it.

Nicola

twister
21-11-04, 20:08
Hi Frances

You can drink on Prozac but I feel that hiding this from your husband is probably the wrong thing to do. You might need support and your husband will feel awful if he discovers you have been lying to him. Why don't you try talking to him again when he has calmed down and agree that you will try Prozac for a month perhaps and then if you both feel it is going okay you will continue. Let him feel he has some control - after all he is probably just worried about you.

Emily

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
Understanding is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

frances
21-11-04, 20:13
Thanks for your replies. What you say makes sense. I will talk to him about it and suggest I try it for a while to see how it goes.

Cheers
Frances

sal
21-11-04, 21:22
Hi Frances

It isnt easy for outsiders to understand how we feel and taking medication is sometimes the only option, you can drink with these tablets although it should be in moderation. Only you can decide if you need that extra support to get through it and i am sure if you sit and talk and explain things through to your husband he will be more of a support than putting obstacles in your way.

Only you can decide though.

Love Sal xxxxx

Laurie28
26-11-04, 12:21
Hiya Frances,

There is a 'stigma' attached to anti-depressants. But only you can decide if you want to take them, have you managed to talk to your husband about it yet? Anti d's can help someone get through a bad time. You say the drink is a big part of you life'

How big?

Lucky

frances
23-12-04, 14:28
<<You say the drink is a big part of you life'

How big?>>

Hi there, Sorry it took so long to reply.
I think drink is quite a problem. I drink every day, sometimes to point of passing out. I should cut down. but I find it so difficult to sleep, and life seems boring without a drink. It also helps to ease the anxiety, but in the long run it makes it worse too.
I know what need to do. I just find it hard to do.
Thanks
Frances

jonny
23-12-04, 20:40
My reply may seem a little harsh but i say 'Stuff him'

With respect your husband is not a doctor is he? I am guessing his opinions are based on the bad press that prozac has been given in the media from time to time.
Ask him what he wants. An ill, desperate wife or one that is trying to get better?

I took prozac for nearly 10 years and it was fine and i drank all the time.
I say take it and keep quite, your personal health is your personal business and i am 100% sure it will be not the only issue you don't discuss with your husband.

look after number 1.

Jonny.

nomorepanic
23-12-04, 21:15
I don't agree about "keeping it quiet". That is no way to be with hubbie - let him know how you feel so he supports you through this.

Medication does NOT cure all the issues anyway so you don't have to go down that route.

Nicola

michael
23-12-04, 22:30
I agree, doctors are far too eager to dish out pills for any ailment. There are lots of reasons why a doctor might prescribe a pill to a patient and only a few of them have anything to do with your symptoms.

Having said that, they do work for some people, so have a good think about it before you decide to take them, but you must be honest with your husband. He will not always understand your problem, and as you can imagine it is extremely frustrating for him, he can't really help and I imagine it makes him quite angry at times, but if he loves you, he will want to help despite his anger, and you must let him.

If you are depressed, drinking will not help, if you are drinking heavily every night, I would seriously consider tackling that problem before unbalancing your system even further by adding another chemical to the cocktail.

As for Prozac, for every one person it helps, there are three that it seriously affects, this is not just true for Prozac, but it can help, just please think seriously before taking it. All I can say is that everyone I know (which is quite a few) who suffer panic attacks and/or general anxiety and/or depression has been given drugs by their doctors, including me, and NONE of them were cured by the drugs. Those that did get better did it in other ways.

Hope this helps.

Love Michael.

You are not alone

jonny
24-12-04, 12:31
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">

As for Prozac, for every one person it helps, there are three that it seriously affects<div align="right">Originally posted by michael - 23 December 2004 : 22:30:30</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

I am sure that is not the case at all...do you really think drugs would get onto the market with those kind of statistics? I very much doubt it. I really think you should be careful about posting figures like that unless you can support them.

Jonny.

FAN
24-12-04, 19:36
maybe the reasons that make you drink are the same ones that add to your anxiety etc.......but i took to drink and found although i felt better at the time the problems were still there when i sobered up so i gave it up and try only to drink socially now. im not sure keeping it from your husband is a good idea as that may just add to the things that are bottled inside you try getting him to support you for a while and if you still dont feel good try the medication

fan x

Laurie28
29-12-04, 15:32
Frances,

How are you getting on?? Did you decide to take the meds or not?

Don't want to preach but alcohol seems to be a major contributing factor to your anxiety, have you thought any more about it?

Take Care Lucky