PDA

View Full Version : Dropping back to 15mg from 30mg

Maca44
15-08-17, 19:11
Anyone dropped back down to 15mg from a higher dose ?.

I was thinking about doing so because at 15mg I slept better but since going upto 30mg my sleep has suffered so I was going to try dropping back and hope my sleep improves and I can still control my depression and anxiety.

KK77
16-08-17, 03:11
I'm afraid you can't have your cake and eat it with these meds Maca. Lower dose Mirt does help with sleep due to antihistamine effects dominating, but for full antidepressant effect, I think higher doses are more beneficial. How long have you been on 30mg? Remember that a dose increase takes time to settle and sleep might return to 15mg levels after several weeks.

Maca44
16-08-17, 07:03
been om 30mg for two mths

KK77
16-08-17, 12:31
been om 30mg for two mths

I see. You've obviously been patient and think you're right to be considering dropping down to 15mg, as sleep disturbance is no joke. However, you have to ultimately weigh it up against your mood/depression and decide whether it's worth it. You don't want to drop back then find your mood bomb and be sleeping all the time.

I would also get advice from your GP/psych re this to help you make your mind up. You waited 2 months and I think that's long enough for a new dose to settle - although it can take much longer for neurogenesis to occur, which is when we see full benefits of an AD med.

Maca44
16-08-17, 16:35
Thanks for taking the time to help.

I have started taking half in th evening and half am so will see if that helps. I am reluctant to reduce as i simply don't want to go back to how I was a few months ago I don't think I could take it. I will see my GP but I don't think they really know much about this drug and I do not have much confidence in them TBH.