PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else find comfort in worrying?

Worrygirl32
16-08-17, 05:26
So I have had two good days of not worrying about my heart and practicing mindfulness to much success. However when I get a thought of worry I almost want to think about it and ruminate on it. It's almost like a comforting feeling comes over me and I want to obsess. Idk why that is, maybe it's an addiction? I have to just allow my thoughts to pass because if I not I will get sucked in and will start obsessing. It's so hard to describe. When the thought presents itself, It's like I genuinely want to think about it but I have to tell myself not to do. Lol I feel like just to be sure I don't have anything wrong me, I should dwell on this thought.

AntsyVee
16-08-17, 05:48
The only people I know who find comfort in worrying are the ones whose anxieties are so bad that they don't know what to do if they ARE NOT worrying. Worrying has become the norm for them, so not worrying becomes uncomfortable. That's a sad way to live. It almost promotes magical thinking....the thought that if you don't worry, something bad will happen.

You just have to keep fighting back against it. Writing the thoughts down helps. It's easier to see how irrational they are when they're down on paper.

robin321
16-08-17, 18:18
From what I have been told by my psychologist, worrying helps by stopping you from actually feeling emotion. It focuses your mind somewhere else.

I find that I have caught myself not worrying sometimes, and I actually feel bad for not worrying. I feel like I am deluding myself.

Fishmanpa
16-08-17, 19:25
I've often equated a situation like this like an abusive co-dependent relationship. You know it's bad for you but you do it anyway. And like those that are in such a relationship, you feel compelled to stay in it even when the overwhelming evidence shows you're so much better off without it.

Positive thoughts

Mrs.Anxiety
16-08-17, 20:54
I honestly think it's just a normal part of having anxiety (at least for me). I grew up with a mom who was and still is such a worry-wart, even calls me to make sure I got home OK after driving through a rain or snow storm. Maybe I just grew up that way, thinking that over-worrying is a part of life. My husband comes from a completely different background, more care-free and anxiety free family. This has helped me change my ways a little bit. There's also a lot to say about the fact that your brain is always on edge, it doesn't know how to NOT worry anymore. Just like our bodies get used to crap years later, I think our brain and mind does too. One could say you are so used to this state, or perhaps get attention from friends/family, why would you want to change? Are you afraid to change?

ServerError
16-08-17, 21:55
Two things vast swathes of humanity on a daily basis does that are both pointless and harmful: worrying and smoking. I never understand why people did the latter, but I was an absolute prisoner to the former.

The thing about worry is, it really is pointless. It doesn't change a situation. It doesn't help you deal with it (unless you're prepared to use the worry to make you deal with it), and it can ruin your life and harm your physical health.

Worry is nobody's friend. It's a natural human trait, but the rewards for bringing it under control are immeasurable.