PDA

View Full Version : Really struggling at the moment, need some support.

tan235
09-08-17, 08:17
HI All,
I've had eye twitching now for 5 weeks ... it's driving me absolutely bonkers.
I've seen my Dr whose said, 'ride it out.'
I've seen an eye doctor whose checked my eyes and done tests and said,
'Ride it out.'
I've checked Google whose said, brain tumor, Parkinson, ALS, MS, hemifacial spasm or tourrettes.

After 5 weeks of a constant lower right twitch I'm starting to get fairly paranoid.
Everyone I know has 3 or 4 days - not 5 weeks.
Anyone else had it this long?
I'm thinking of paying to go and see a neurologist myself if this continues.
Surely it's not benign in nature if it's ongoing, it must be something serious.
The stress of the eye twitching is debilitating ... I"m starting to really freak out.
Any one?

---------- Post added at 05:34 ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 ----------

Anyone?
Please .....

---------- Post added at 07:17 ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 ----------

ok, now I've just read that eye twitching can be a brain tumor, so now very paranoid!

Gary A
09-08-17, 09:30
Eyelid twitches can last for years and are almost always totally benign. It's also one of the most common signs of prolonged stress and anxiety.

If a brain tumour were causing this, it would be accompanied by other more severe symptoms.

I would try to relax a bit more, you'll probably find that the twitch will simply disappear in a while when you do.

swajj
09-08-17, 11:03
I get them all the time. They can last for eeeks. Mine develop under the eye or on the eyelid. I find if I gently put my fingers on the twitch it goes. Sometimes just for a few minutes, other times for hours. I have no idea why.

---------- Post added at 19:33 ---------- Previous post was at 19:32 ----------

Oh for gods sake

weeks not eeeks

tan235
10-08-17, 06:49
I still think that 5 weeks is a long time to have a twitch.
it's slightly better but still twitching, even if I touch it, it twitches... is this normal?
I figure if it's neurological that wouldn't happen.
I have noticed I get a lot of words wrong, maybe brain tumor?
I still think the worst, Parkinson or brain tumor?

ShaunRyder
10-08-17, 11:24
I have suffered from an eye twitch in my left eye for years on and off, always put it down to anxiety to be honest. You can literally google any symptom and it will lead to an awful disease.

I also forget words when my anxiety is bad, try to relax and take your mind off of it.

br350
10-08-17, 16:16
I've had it mostly on (sometimes off) for 5 months now. Sometimes it's the left eye (mostly) but it's also in the right eye more recently. Some days I barely notice it at all. Other days it's jumpy. I freaked out reading everything online and finally stopped Googling. I think others on here have threads about their long-term experiences with this.....might be good to do a search. Hang in there!

crazygal
10-08-17, 20:31
I get a bad eye twitch whenever I'm stressed from work or going through an anxiety attack. Its most likely stress.

tan235
11-08-17, 06:57
It's slowly getting better, but yeah you're all right of course.... stop worrying!
I wish it was that easy....

Now I"m getting a cold :(

tan235
13-08-17, 22:41
I still have it.
I've concluded that it's either a brain tumor, MS or a hemifacial spasm.
I"ve read that it could be ALS but this seems unlikely.

I"m kinda ok with m diagnose, I just need the bloody DR to get book me an MRI and I highly think that will happen.
6 weeks of a constant eye twitch, it's unlikely to be nothing.
I've taken every supplement under the sun, including tonic water and nothing has changed.
I'm miserable, it's making me life miserable, I can't talk to people anymore, it's really thrown my confidence, I just want to know what's making it twitch!

---------- Post added at 21:41 ---------- Previous post was at 21:40 ----------

I've also go crawling sensations under my skin in my back too, so probably neurological.

Thelegend27
13-08-17, 23:20
Gosh you linked something very common to something very terrible, if twitches meant cancer nearly everyone in the world would have cancer. My grandmother passed away from brain cancer, a rare agressive form of it, it took her life in 6 months time aftwr diagnosis, twitches wasn't a symptom of hers, she was at the store one day and completely forgot where she was, good thing she remembered how to contact my mom and she was at the store she usually goes to so it wasnt hard to find her, she then went to the doctors and they first thought she was just getting old and having amnesia, but scans later showed a tumor in her brain, she started treatment and the tumor decreases in size but it wasn't enough so she lost her fight with it. What im trying to tell you is that you cannot take something as simple as a muscle twitch and assume youre dying, because if you do you will be worried the rest of your life, mine and my girlfriends eyelids have twitched for a couple of weeks at a time. Please dont worry yourself, if you start having difficulties remembering things and you start getting severe none stop headaches then take it more Seriously but until then enjoy your good health,and if a ete twitch is the price you pay for good health well thats not so bad is it? Live life my friend.

tan235
17-08-17, 02:32
Hi All,
I've noticed a new tremor - when I half smile my lips twitch on either side.
I have a twitching eye now for 6 weeks and now this ... is this a common thing?
can you please go the mirror and half smile and tell me if your lips twitch?

I'm really over this, I'm starting to think I have ALS ... I mean what else could it be!

Please do it for me and tell me if your lips quiver a little bit?

Thank you

ScaredLizard
17-08-17, 02:38
Of course they do. A half smile you are only contracting your muscles half of what they usually go. Unless you always half smile it's going to be an awkward position for the muscles to hold.

Twitching eye can be caused by stress, anxiety, and not sleeping well.

You don't have ALS with these symptoms

tan235
17-08-17, 04:42
Anyone else?
Just a couple more .... please.

Fishmanpa
17-08-17, 05:55
Tan, with respect, that's really irrational but I'm really curious as to how many people will actually do this :winks:

Positive thoughts

tan235
17-08-17, 06:03
Did you do it?!

I really hope it's irrational ... it only does it sometimes when I half smile but I'm losing my mind over an eye twitch - would you not lose yours?
Why is it twitching!
It can't be benign!

melfish
17-08-17, 06:06
Eye twitching is the most common/benign thing imaginable. I'm going through a bulbar ALS fear myself at the moment and that wouldn't even concern me!

Fishmanpa
17-08-17, 06:13
Did you do it?!

Hell no! :lac:

Positive thoughts

tan235
17-08-17, 06:19
Ok but what about the face twitching when half smile?
What is that?

---------- Post added at 05:19 ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 ----------

what are your concerns?!

ServerError
17-08-17, 06:47
You can't be serious..?

tan235
17-08-17, 07:23
Really? I didn't think it was that big a ask, plus you guys are the only ones that understand me!

tan235
17-08-17, 08:26
Hi All,
I'm a single Mum, i've had an eye twitch for 6 - 7 weeks, I'm trying everything to get rid of it but nothing is working, and now I feel that I've got a twitch in my face when I smile, I've posted about it.
I'm really just struggling.
I think I have ALS .... I've read that twitching is a symptom of it and I have those symptoms, I've also had trouble swallowing, which I know is a symptom of anxiety - it's not when I'm eating but I'll just go to swallow and all lock up like I can't swallow!

No-one in my family really understands me ... but I can't cope, I'm thinking I might need to get anti depressants, I've booked a time with a neurologist that I have to pay for $500 out of my own pocket as no DR will give me a referall.
I'm losing my mind ... not coping ... anyone else? x

swajj
17-08-17, 10:47
No my lips dont tremble. Your face muscles are probably so tense that it causes your lips to tremble when you force your lips into a half smile. Think rationally.

swajj
17-08-17, 10:52
Instead of booking an appointment with a neuro book one with a counsellor. Save yourself some time and money because that's what the neuro is eventually going to tell you to do anyway. You don't have ALS. Of the hundreds of people who come here with that fear I have never seen one come back and say they received an ALS diagnosis.

Gary A
17-08-17, 11:08
Whoever told you that this could be a symptom of ALS is a complete moron.

swajj
17-08-17, 11:13
It was probably Dr Google or reading too many threads here. lol

pulisa
17-08-17, 12:52
Sadly the "support" you are asking for on here won't help you to manage your health anxiety. Please consider seeing a therapist as swajj suggests-don't waste your own money on a pointless and expensive referral to see a neurologist who you probably won't believe anyway?

KK77
17-08-17, 13:10
It's not perhaps what you want to hear but the fact that 'no doctor' will refer you is a positive thing: they don't believe there is anything sinister that warrants further action. If your anxious mind believes these doctors have missed something, why would you believe a neurologist when they tell you there is nothing to worry about? Just money down the drain and the HA cycle continues.

Elen
17-08-17, 13:29
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen

elysemarie123
17-08-17, 14:19
Hi All,
I'm a single Mum, i've had an eye twitch for 6 - 7 weeks, I'm trying everything to get rid of it but nothing is working, and now I feel that I've got a twitch in my face when I smile, I've posted about it.
I'm really just struggling.
I think I have ALS .... I've read that twitching is a symptom of it and I have those symptoms, I've also had trouble swallowing, which I know is a symptom of anxiety - it's not when I'm eating but I'll just go to swallow and all lock up like I can't swallow!

No-one in my family really understands me ... but I can't cope, I'm thinking I might need to get anti depressants, I've booked a time with a neurologist that I have to pay for $500 out of my own pocket as no DR will give me a referall.
I'm losing my mind ... not coping ... anyone else? x

Hello -- This past holiday season I had an eye twitch for 3 months. I work in physician recruitment and it is the busiest time of season, not to mention Christmas and Thanksgiving. I was casually mentioning it to my boss and he said that 2 other people on the team also said they had an eye twitch. Now this tells you a couple things - 1. they need to staff better since everyone is developing facial twitches because of the stress (I no longer work there thank goodness), 2. that you are not alone, 3. I am here to tell you about it and it's been gone since January, 4. when you relive the stress, the physical symptoms go away.

Stress is an amazing thing. Eye twitches are NOTHING to worry about. Take it from me -- a person with HA that didn't even get scared because of her 3 month long eye twitch.

tan235
18-08-17, 04:45
Thanks everyone, still STRESSING out majorly about ALS - why do I have an eye twitch for so long and now I'm sure the rest of my body is twitching and my hand feels weak ... it's just ridiculous!

ServerError
18-08-17, 05:33
I recently had a twitch in my nose. Lasted five months. All day every day. Absolutely bizarre. It went away in the end.

Sometimes we twitch and there's no knowing why.

tan235
18-08-17, 06:07
Thanks servererror x