PDA

View Full Version : Flutters in my chest

jackaleeena
20-11-04, 21:43
Hi, I am new to this but have been having panic attacks for a while now and am currently seeing a councillor for CBT to help me control it. I have had all the symptoms but recently have started to experience a fluttering sensation in my chest. It is always on the right hand side and feels like my breath is being suddenly taken away. The best way I can think of describing it is like a butterfly trying to escape from what feels like my lung. My GP has listened to my chest on several ocasions and says that everyhtin sounds fine. Could it be a nervous thing and part of the anxiety. If anyone has had anything like this i'd love to know as it is quite frightening but still I don't want to go rushing back to my GP again!!

jackaleeena

seh1980
20-11-04, 22:29
hello there,

Welcome to the site!!

I have that fluttering sensation in my chest every once in a while. It's a very unpleasant feeling but there is nothing to worry about as it's just a symptom of anxiety. The more you think about it, the more it happens. The best thing to do is try to forget about it - hard, I know...

Sarah :D

Karen
21-11-04, 00:08
Hi Jackaleena

Welcome to the forum. I also get the fluttering sensation in the chest. It is a symptom of anxiety.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

jackaleeena
21-11-04, 15:09
Thank you so much for the feedback I really appreciated it. I am going to try to ignore it from now on. I think this is a good time to say how impressed I am with the site and this forum. Its a nice to know that there are people out there that really understand.

Thanks again.

jackaleeena

jackaleeena
21-11-04, 16:28
Sorry to go on about this again so soon. It is happening quite alot today I think it is hard to convince myself it is an anxiety symptom as it is such a strong physical feeling that literally takes my breath away. I had to leave work yesterday as it scared me so much which has given me a bit of a knock back knowing that it interferred with my normal routine. I just can't beleive that it is isn't a medical issue.

I start the day with a really positive outlook and convinced that it is just a symptom but as the day goes on the doubt kicks in and by tea time I am in a right atate.

I am going to listen to my relaxation CD and to see if I can calm myself down.

Thank you again for your help.

Jacky

jackaleeena

Marc
21-11-04, 18:26
Hi Jacky, and welcome.

That's the way it goes, probably the mind and body playing tricks on us.
I have a similar fluttering feeling from time to time, then might not for weeks.

Strange how anxiety and the mind affects the body.... I'm always getting new symptoms.
Just have to try and find ways to keep the mind occupied, distract it from it's main aim which seems to be 'make you feel bad' ... don't know why it should be - what advantage it could possibly be to the mind .... but there you are, it happens. Maybe be some long past genetic reason?

Anyway, I hope you will soon pass through this bad spell and start to live again.

Try'n keep smiling :)

Marc

nomorepanic
21-11-04, 18:53
jackaleeena

Hi and welcome to the site.

I will look out some old posts for you on chest pains etc and post them.

It is anxiety but does help to hear that others get it too.

Watch this space ok.

Nic

Nicola

nomorepanic
21-11-04, 19:45
Try these

SPIKES(image's - thought's) - Anxiety - Pure O OCD (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6087)

Palpitations (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1907)

Fuuny sensations (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1205)

happy reading - hope they help

Nicola

twister
21-11-04, 20:14
Hi Jacky

Hope you are feeling better now, did the CD help?

I think most people on here have been through this symptom and it is very hard to accept that it is psychosomatic and not a dreadful illness.

When I was at my worst I remember being at work and often having a tight chest, heart palpitations etc and thinking 'surely I am going to pass out or die in a minute' but I never did!

Hope you feel better soon.

Emily

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
Understanding is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

jackaleeena
22-11-04, 10:01
Thanks evryone you've really helped. Reading the info on the other forums help as well thanks again.

I can't beleive that it is so sneaky to come up with a new symptom every time. I have been suffereing from anxiety and panic attacks for 3.5 years now and every time it is a different thing just when I think I have learned how to deal with it!!

The fluttering feeling is especially hard to overcome I think as it is not in the region of my heart (more like being winded really) in the right of my chest and usually happens when I think I am feeling ok and it really takes me by suprise.

I am going to try the ignore it tactic for the rest of the week and will let you know how I get on at the weekend.

Thanks again for all the support.

jackaleeena

Meg
22-11-04, 10:06
Try having a cough or two and a good swig of tonic water and induce a good burp whic always brings relief.

Meg

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance