PDA

View Full Version : I think I have Rabies, Please Help :(

a true gooner
19-08-17, 07:03
Right let's start from the beginning shall we.

On the 6th July I was in my garden vaping and I saw this Bat flying really low right towards me, so I ducked and ran underneath it and as I did I felt a weird sensation.

The following morning my back started throbbing with pain so I went to see my GP and they had a look at my back, and said I was fine.

The day after that I went to see another GP and they also said I was ok because they didn't see a bite mark.

About two weeks later I started getting really bad headaches that lasted for a few days (probably tension or a migraine) after that my anxiety subsided and about a week after that I went to see family in Cardiff.

After I came back I developed a cold (sore throat, runny nose, sneezing) and this is where my anxiety went off the rails.

I started not sleeping and eating, I would only eat a bit and sleep every other day, sometimes my anxiety would get so bad I'd start freaking out, crying, smacking myself in the head and telling my parents to phone me an ambulance like a mini breakdown, this has been going on for a few weeks now.

I also went to the hospital last week because my anxiety was so intense (got a train) when I got there, I told them about the possible bite on my back and they didn't believe me so decided to book me in to see the GP over the hospital for my anxiety instead, I had to wait 2 hours to see the GP and they didn't believe me.

I asked about the vaccine but she said "It needs to be taken within 24 hours but it's been over a month now, so it's too late" It just felt like she didn't want to listen because I then said "As long as it's before symptoms it's fine" but she didn't agree so I went home.

On Monday (14th August) I was walking outside my house because we have this field at the back of my house with a basketball court and houses on the side and this was at 9pm I believe.

I knew there were bats about because there's a railway bank behind my house near the field with loads of tree's, so I'm guessing that's where the bats came from.

Anyway while I was walking up the path I felt a weird sensation on my head and now I also keep thinking I was also bit on the head.

I keep thinking I have rabies and it feels no one listens to me because my family, and all the GPs I've seen won't listen to me or aren't educated enough on bat bites because everyone I've seen including my family and paramedics have said "if there's no marks there's no bite" which isn't true.

No matter who I see they won't listen to me and keep blaming it on my anxiety, I just feel trapped.

I told my parents about the vaccine too and they said "You don't have rabies, if you have the vaccine it'll make you ill because it'll have nothing to fight since you don't have it" which isn't true, but no one listens to me and it's gotten to that point where I'm out of options.

I've done everything I can do and no one believes and listens to me. I feel like a sinking ship with no hope, I don't know if it's just my imagination or there really is something wrong.

I keep thinking I'm gonna be EBLV 2 victim number 2 here in the UK. I really do hope it's just me being a hypochondriac because I've been anxious about my health before but never this bad.

I keep thinking I really do have it but people keep saying it's just my anxiety, but I know rabies also causing anxiety which really freaks me out because I don't know what's happening.

I had the paramedic out last night because I had another mini breakdown even though I was feeling fine for two days and she said you have the rabies jab when you're born along with the other jabs, which isn't true but she wouldn't listen.

It just seems people aren't really educated on rabies or bat bites here in the UK or where I live anyway in Hampshire, which makes me feel even more scared that people either won't believe me or aren't educated on the matter.

I don't know what to do I need some serious help because I'm literally on edge at the moment, I've never been this bad even when I thought I had lung cancer quite a few months back.

venusbluejeans
19-08-17, 11:26
Lets put things into perspective....

There have been 4 deaths by rabies in the UK since the yeat 2000...... all of which had been caused by people being bitten by dogs while they were abroard.

in the UK only 13 bats have been found to be infected with rabies in more than 12,000 tests since 1986 which is roughly 0.2% of all bats tested since 1986.

you DO NOT have Rabies you have the classic symptoms of Health anxiety, I have to agree wit your parents and everyone else. you need to get help with your anxiety.

good luck

Ps, a few paragraphs or blank lines in your post may make it easier to read and you may get more replies

a true gooner
19-08-17, 17:44
I just keep thinking "What if I'm that unlucky Person" because you never know. I've been feeling Anxious/Depressed for over a Month now over this, I can't get it out of my Head that I have Rabies.

Pipkin
19-08-17, 17:52
Anxiety is your problem my friend. I won't give you reassurance about rabies because it won't help you. You'll just say you're the exception to the statistics. Trust me, seek help for your anxiety and things will get better.

Best wishes

Pip

PS. Bats regularly get into my house (they're clever little things) and fly around for a while before nipping out of a window. One landed on my head the other week which I thought was quite funny. I haven't been bitten though and I'm not worried about rabies.

a true gooner
19-08-17, 18:28
Do Bats have to land to Bite? Because if so I should of felt it land on me. I know someone died of EBLV 2 in 2002 but other than that I don't think it's happened to anybody else.

nomorepanic
19-08-17, 18:42
You would know if you had been bitten.

You DON'T have rabies but you do have anxiety

I have bats flying round the garden - they are really cute and fast too.

a true gooner
19-08-17, 18:59
I've just heard stories of people being bitten and not feeling it, I'm not sure if that's true or not. People keep telling me to stay away from Dr. Google but I can't, it's like I'm addicted to negativity.

nomorepanic
19-08-17, 20:04
Only you can stop yourself from googling I am afraid.

Darksky
19-08-17, 20:47
You don't have rabies, any more than you had lung cancer a few months back. You do however, have health anxiety. When you finally realise you don't have rabies, something else will rise up and take its place and the merry go round will start turning again.
Get your anxiety treated and all these ailments will disappear.
There is nothing to fear with bats, we have them lodging in our house under the tiles. At dusk they come out and I love to be outside among them.

a true gooner
19-08-17, 22:08
If rabies was the cause of my anxiety, would I of experienced other symptoms by now? I know I've suffered with health anxiety before but never this bad. It's so bad it's terrifying :(

Pepperpot
20-08-17, 01:25
If you had rabies you wouldn't have "symptoms" that come and go. A "weird sensation" doesn't sound like you've been bitten; it sounds like you've had a mini wave of panic come over you, and now you're fixated on that area. X

Pipkin
20-08-17, 01:49
As I said, anxiety is your problem. Please get help for this. If you haven't already, speak to your GP.

Honestly, we understand the irrational worries - we all get them. You need to get help to find ways of dealing with them. No amount of reassurance will help you.

Pip

a true gooner
20-08-17, 21:32
It's just hard to function when you have something like rabies on your mind, even though I probably have more chance of getting struck by lighting.

I have an appointment at mind (anxiety group) next week, so hopefully that can help me out.

I'm really glad I found this site though because people in real life get annoyed whenever I try and talk to them about my problems or just don't understand me whatsoever.

Darksky
20-08-17, 22:11
No they don't understand. It all sounds irrational to them. It sounds irrational to me sometimes! But everyone on here, while they don't suffer each and every problem, the basis for every problem (anxiety) is well known to us all.

a true gooner
21-08-17, 05:39
I had a thyroid function test last wednesday to rule out any thyroid problems because I never suffered from anxiety till around 2015 or so.

My GP should of done one sooner to rule out any possible abnormalities.

hanshan
21-08-17, 14:34
Click on the rabies tag below and read the posts by other people also with rabies health anxiety. You will notice many similarities to your own situation. To my knowledge, none of those people had rabies despite multiple reassurances and visits to doctors, etc. You have to accept that your problem is anxiety, and it's taken over control of your rational mind. The doctors, nurses etc are being rational, but your emotions won't let you believe them.

Pepperpot
22-08-17, 00:24
I had a thyroid function test last wednesday to rule out any thyroid problems because I never suffered from anxiety till around 2015 or so.

My GP should of done one sooner to rule out any possible abnormalities.
I never suffered either til that same year and even now I still cant accept sometimes that my symptoms can be caused by anxiety, cos I like to think Im not that anxious. But if I really really think about it, spending most part of my day on Google looking for answers to my symptoms is me being anxious lol