PDA

View Full Version : Worried about ECG results.

Ash J
20-08-17, 17:54
Hi all,

I had an ECG on Wednesday as was having quite a bit of chest pain and it was starting to bother me so GP did an ECG there and then. Although GP said it was normal and sent me on the way I did notice on the ECG that it had noted "minimal right-precordial repolarization disturbance, probably aspecific change".

I know replorization can be associated with SCD and it's worrying the hell out of me. Chest pain is continuing mainly on my left side of chest (just below left breast area). Really don't know what to do...

chomer86
27-09-17, 19:51
I know from personal experience that the ecg print out can be over sensitive and nothing beats a cardiologists/drs word. I panicked for months waiting for my cardiology appointment because mine says inverted t waves and cannot rule out previous heart attack. I was worried sick but my cardiolgist said it didnt mean anthing as my heart was fine. Try not to worry (easier said than done) but if its still playing on your mind in a few days then ask your dr about it and beleve what he tells you. Good luck x

Ash J
20-10-17, 16:52
Hi all,

Just my two cents really on skipped beats. I get them, I hate them and have been told numerous times they are harmless.

Today I went to see my new GP and was nervous as had alot to cover (doesn't have my medical records yet so had to tell him anxiety story). I have to this day believed I have a heart condition and that anxiety isn't the cause of my skips..I have noticed that they have become less frequent as I tackled my anxiety going days without any, and on anxious days they are more prominent.
Today my skips were more frequent this morning and with the addition of something else I wound up in A&E. While in the hospital I had crazy skips, I had an ECG (7th one in 4 months) and my ECG came back normal..not one thing wrong with it. I told the Dr about my skips (this is probably the 6 or 7th Dr I've asked about skips) and she said they are annoying and uncomfortable but nothing to worry about and that most people get them but most just don't feel them (us over anxious do). This is something that I have now been told numerous times...I just thought to myself how many more times will I need to hear this before I will accept that anxiety can actually cause these things? Will having further tests actually prove anything? Probably not.

zaedas99
26-10-17, 02:54
If it's anything like me, no matter how many doctors / tests you'll get prescribed and telling you nothing is wrong, you'll still worry about it.

Unfortunately, we just have to live with it and try to get along with them. Harder said than done though.

Have a good one ash

braveinfiction
02-01-18, 06:54
I've many ECGs. Most are normal sinus rhythm etc, but one night I got one that said "left atrial enlargement;" worried myself all up about it only for the doctor to come back and say it was normal. I asked her about it and she said the read outs at the top are often wrong for a variety of reasons.

Ash J
01-02-18, 20:34
Hi all,

Was just wondering if there's any of you out there that get chest Pains aswell as ectopics, I've read having both is a cause for concern so I'm a little worried. I've worked so hard over the past few months to reduce my anxiety and I seemed to be winning but the ectopics still remain. Today has been particularly bad with them but to add to it I've had chest pains also so struggling. My anxious mind is telling me to run off to the hospital but really trying to avoid that. Anyone got any experience with this?

Ash

Elen
01-02-18, 20:37
Can posters, especially those who are posting a lot about a variety of fears please confine their posts to one thread.

This helps others to build up a clear picture of what is happening and makes it easier to offer suitable advice.

You may not see the pattern but usually it is there, especially if you are posting frequently about different things.

Due to technical problems it is proving difficult to merge posts so for the moment any posts that we feel should be on a previous thread will be closed, allowing you the opportunity to re-post on your existing thread.

Your co-operation with this would be greatly appreciated.

Elen

Ash J
01-02-18, 22:07
Hi Elen,

Although I appreciate the point of your post for those posting very frequently but my last post on this subject was over 3 months ago so don't really understand why this has been aimed at me?

EmmerLooeez
12-02-18, 18:19
I don't really have anything constructive to say Ash, but I'm right here with you panicking! I hope that your results hurry up and you feel better about it really soon xx

Ash J
14-02-18, 11:47
Well after waiting 3 months for my holter monitor results I finally got them this morning. The readings showed 2 isolated PVC's with no other arrhythmia showing. Sinus rhythm was normal throughout. The hospital has stated no further treatment or investigation required. My GP said the only thing we could do to completely rule everything out now is an Echo so has referred me for one but said the hospital may decline if they don't feel it's nessecary. Although I should take this as good news, I'm still struggling to understand why the frequency of the PVCs have increased especially now I have the anxiety under control. The PVC's certainly create anxiety for me though and there just seems to be no way I can stop them.

EmmerLooeez
14-02-18, 20:45
I did get to a point where they didn't bother me Ash. It took quite a bit of time for me to believe that they were harmless, but it did come. Even after my little scare last week I feel fine about them again now.

It is an awful cycle (as is everything with anx!) isn't it. Getting a skip, worrying, causing a skip, worrying, etc. xx

---------- Post added at 20:45 ---------- Previous post was at 20:45 ----------

I am getting them now, just typing about them!

Ash J
18-03-18, 17:24
Well thought I'd give an update as I'm really struggling atm.

I had my echocardiogram a few weeks ago, my results came back as normal (what a surprise), there was no sign of any dilation, thickening or structural issues. This should reassure me right?

Yet I'm still plagued by chest pain and ectopics every single day. I cannot escape it, I've spent £1000's on therapy/CBT, tried so many natural ways (magnesium, CBD oil to name a few) to try reduce my anxiety but I just can't seem to to stop these horrible sensations. My Dr is now at the point of telling me to F Off so I feel at a loss on what more I can do about it. However hard I try I just can't " ignore" these as everyone says to try and do, they feel all too awful and always cause me to panic however hard i try not to.
To top all this off I have tried to introduce some exercise, today I had to take some moderately heavy things upstairs and found my chest really aching afterwards which obviously caused more worry.

Has anyone got any suggestions on anything more I could try? Has anyone actually found relief from this kind of stuff after starting medication? This is really starting to ruin my life and making me so miserable.

dimblonde
18-03-18, 20:53
Well thought I'd give an update as I'm really struggling atm.

I had my echocardiogram a few weeks ago, my results came back as normal (what a surprise), there was no sign of any dilation, thickening or structural issues. This should reassure me right?

Yet I'm still plagued by chest pain and ectopics every single day. I cannot escape it, I've spent £1000's on therapy/CBT, tried so many natural ways (magnesium, CBD oil to name a few) to try reduce my anxiety but I just can't seem to to stop these horrible sensations. My Dr is now at the point of telling me to F Off so I feel at a loss on what more I can do about it. However hard I try I just can't " ignore" these as everyone says to try and do, they feel all too awful and always cause me to panic however hard i try not to.
To top all this off I have tried to introduce some exercise, today I had to take some moderately heavy things upstairs and found my chest really aching afterwards which obviously caused more worry.

Has anyone got any suggestions on anything more I could try? Has anyone actually found relief from this kind of stuff after starting medication? This is really starting to ruin my life and making me so miserable.

Hello Ash,

As a fellow sufferer I would recommend speaking to your Dr about maybe trying a low dose beta blocker like propranolol. It can help with the vicious circle of anxiety/ectopic/anxiety/ectopic and so on.

I started taking 10mg twice a day about 3 weeks ago and its calmed me down. I’m having a few ectopics today but I think as a result of having a few alcoholic drinks last night for the first time since starting the propranolol.

There’s a good sub forum on propranolol on here too :)

Joanne x

Ash J
18-03-18, 22:02
Hey Joanne,

Thank you for the reply. Early last year when I started getting these things my Dr put me on propranolol but I can't remember if they actually helped with ectopics. I know I had a period where things weren't too bad but after awhile I started suffering with insomnia and low blood pressure so had to come off them, I know they didn't help me with my chest pain either. Don't know if it's worth trying them again but that's why I take the magnesium as it's supposed to have a similar effect to a beta blocker, I found it has helped some what reducing the ectopics to 1-2 noticeable ones a day but when the anxiety is bad they go wild regardless. I think my prob is atm that the chest pains are causing the anxiety to surge which in essence causes the ectopics....just don't know how to stop these stupid pains.

dimblonde
18-03-18, 22:17
Hey Joanne,

Thank you for the reply. Early last year when I started getting these things my Dr put me on propranolol but I can't remember if they actually helped with ectopics. I know I had a period where things weren't too bad but after awhile I started suffering with insomnia and low blood pressure so had to come off them, I know they didn't help me with my chest pain either. Don't know if it's worth trying them again but that's why I take the magnesium as it's supposed to have a similar effect to a beta blocker, I found it has helped some what reducing the ectopics to 1-2 noticeable ones a day but when the anxiety is bad they go wild regardless. I think my prob is atm that the chest pains are causing the anxiety to surge which in essence causes the ectopics....just don't know how to stop these stupid pains.

There’s 2 kinds of propranolol, regular and slow release. Maybe find out which you were given as I also have a good blood pressure regularly but when my anxiety is high it obviously up. I can take more than the 10mg twice a day when it’s severe. The 10mg keeps my resting pulse around 60-65 and my bp about 100/60 but that low dose just takes the edge off my anxiety. I don’t think I could take the extended release unless it was only the 40mg as I would probably have too low bp too.
On Friday I had a panic attack after a traumatic visit to the dentist and I took 20mg and within 45 mins my heart rate had stablisied and I felt calm.
It may be worth a revisit to your gp to see what you were on and what dosage :)

Ash J
18-03-18, 22:29
I'm sure I was on the regular at 40mg though I used to only take 20mg. Sorry to hear about your panic, they are horrible things to go through. I very rarely suffer with the rapid heart rate, when my ectopics hit it's usually when I'm sitting down or lying in bed with a resting HR of like 60-70..that's the same with the chest pains, get it mainly when at rest...drives me nuts. Just want to be able to relax and not finding myself second guessing what the cause of the pain is. It's pathetic I'm 29 years old and shouldn't be worrying about this type of thing yet found myself in tears this evening as I just don't have the mental strength to keep putting up with this.

dimblonde
18-03-18, 22:49
Ash,
I originally joined NMP back in 2007 to try and help myself because of the awful ectopics I was having and here I am 11 year later and still having them. All be it this is from time to time and my remission phases are longer. And...I’m still alive which has always been my main concern lol
I can’t stress enough how much I found distraction helped me. I started reading again, crosswords, online games and forums were life savers too.
I think medication needs to go hand in hand with other techniques and like when you’re feeling so low like you are tonight even a pill in itself probably wouldn’t be enough.

Have a good think about what you could do to distract yourself from these thoughts and if you haven’t already then get a new appointment at your gp and request some CBT perhaps.

The cbt is the opposite to the distraction as it’s about putting yourself in the uncomfortable situation and dealing with it but you’ll need a qualified professional to work through it with you.

Whatever you do, don’t sit a suffer. Your dr is there to help you work through this no matter how long it takes :)

Ash J
19-03-18, 08:24
I do try distraction, playing games, doing stuff around the house ect but the ectopics can still strike and then just cause me to fold and not carry on with what I'm doing, maybe that's the problem that I give them too much attention and thought. As I mentioned in my previous post I've already spent £1000s on CBT/Therapy, the CBT I got on the NHS wasn't that great so I decided to go private and see a guy who teaches it to the mental health profession so he knows his stuff. I think CBT helped to begin with but my minds just slipped back to a place I struggle to get myself back from. Prob just going to go back to the Dr to see what my options are medication wise :*(

WiredIncorrectly
19-03-18, 10:26
I'm having them right now too. Had them 3 days now. It sucks because I've had a whole month where I've hardly had any. Mine are pretty much happening 3 times a minute. Just got to ride them out.

I have a sore throat and I flu which might be a contributing factor. They started Friday. If I lie back against the wall in bed they will happen constantly. Positional related I feel. I also feel stress related. I've been very stressed with my business at the moment as I'm behind schedule by a good 2 weeks which is going to affect my income.

I give up worrying about dying. I now tell myself "If I die because my heart stops beating I'll be passed out in seconds and won't even notice". Flip the fear on its head and the ectopics seem less worrying.

Fishmanpa
19-03-18, 12:04
I give up worrying about dying. I now tell myself "If I die because my heart stops beating I'll be passed out in seconds and won't even notice". Flip the fear on its head and the ectopics seem less worrying.

I can attest to this as I went when I had my 1st heart attack. I was in the ER and felt a weird rush coming from my lower abdomen. I thought "That's weird". The feeling started to rise into my chest and I thought "This can't be good". Next thing I remember was waking up and a nurse saying "Welcome back". I had gone into AFIB and they used the paddles to get a normal rhythm. There was no fear or my life flashing before my eyes... It was literally an instant.

Positive thoughts

WiredIncorrectly
19-03-18, 12:59
I can attest to this as I went when I had my 1st heart attack. I was in the ER and felt a weird rush coming from my lower abdomen. I thought "That's weird". The feeling started to rise into my chest and I thought "This can't be good". Next thing I remember was waking up and a nurse saying "Welcome back". I had gone into AFIB and they used the paddles to get a normal rhythm. There was no fear or my life flashing before my eyes... It was literally an instant.

Positive thoughts

Thanks for sharing that Fishmanpa. That's reassuring ... although I was hoping for bright lights lol! When you went into afib did your heart completely stop or was it wildly irregular?

My friend had 3 heart attacks a couple years ago as a result of drug abuse. He too said he didn't really feel anything like the show on TV. My Dad's friend only had vomiting and nausea when it happened to him at the gym. He even drove himself to hospital and wasn't aware he had a heart attack.

I guess to an onlooker watching someone slip is terrefying, but to the person who's experiencing it the feeling is very different? When my Dad and stepdad died there wasn't any crazy panic/anxiety. My stepdad was confused when his sugar level crashed and he went blind but almost straight after that he was gone.

I'm starting to believe life is far too short to worry. Although the talk of this has sent my ectopics wild lmao