PDA

View Full Version : dental phobia

alexis
03-06-07, 23:53
I was not sure weather to post here or not, as Ive not been around much lately.
I just felt I needed to post about my worlds worst phobia, it is the dentist as it is with many others, from being a young child I have dreaded the dentist and avoided 100% well I have just had all my top teeth removed, and I am alive to tell the tale.
Nothing much more to say, but felt I had to tell you and Im still alive!!!

Piglet
03-06-07, 23:55
Oh Alexis hun that's massive - well done to you!!!!:yesyes:

Love Pig xx

clickaway
04-06-07, 00:10
Of course you are allowed to post :)

That was very brave of you as I'm not even going for fillings at the moment!

Take Care

:hugs:

yorkylover
04-06-07, 11:29
Well done.I hated going to the dentist to.But i found a dentist who is really understanding about panic and anxiety.she talks you through everything and stops when ever you want her to.I still get anxious when I go but not like I used to.I hate tooth ache so I make sure I go every six months for my check ups.

honeybee3939
04-06-07, 11:39
WELL DONE Alexis !

Thats a great achievement for you !:) :) :)
I have a phobia of dentists too, just the thought of a dentist makes me shiver !

so pleased you managed your appointment.:)

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx

vernon
04-06-07, 12:25
Big well done alexis, I would have loved for something magic to just remove all my teeth even when i was young as i was so scared of the dentist, tc Vernon

Barb
04-06-07, 12:37
Hi Alexis, how brave, a big well done. Did you have it done in one go and how did you cope? I need loads of dental work but am too terrified to go.
Good to hear from you again, how are you doing?

Luv Barb xxx

eeyorelover
04-06-07, 14:41
That is one of my worst phobias too!!!
WAY TO GO for facing your fear and getting the work done.
I have TONS of work I need done and have been putting it off cuz I am so scared that I don't even know if I could walk into a dentist's office let alone sit and let him poke around and fix what needs to be done!!
Something I need to work on I guess.
CONGRATS HUN :)
xxx
Sandy

nomorepanic
04-06-07, 23:07
Hey

Great to catch up last night mate

A huge well done to you!:hugs: :hugs:

shaz01
04-06-07, 23:25
Hi Alexis,

Thats great you have been, I also have this phobia and over the last few months I have been for treatment and gosh I was sooo scared, even sitting in the waiting room with my heart rate through the roof I just wanted to run but I didnt and I managed it, so see we can do it.

Although in six months time when the time comes round again I will be terrified again and making excuses to cancel appointments!!!!!

Its scary but I think its something you dont want to avoid otherwise things will only get worse with your teeth.

Hope everyones doing well tonight,

Shaz x

jacq
05-06-07, 13:16
Well done Alexis, you are so brave, i have just cancelled my check up for friday as i dread him telling me i may need treatment. I suffer from a tight throat and can't stand the feeling when my throat goes numb and worry that i will choke, but it is encouraging to hear one of us has done it and lived to tell the tale.:yesyes:

Jacq x

shoegal
05-06-07, 16:41
I have Dental Phobia too. I'm not really scared of the work itself, just scared of panicking while he is doing the work in my mouth! :wacko: It makes me feel so trapped! :ohmy: If I know I have a dentist appointment, I get in such a state that I can't sleep the night before and I'm actually sick, so my Dad makes me secret appointments and just turns up on the day to take me. I still panic in the car park, and cry like a baby but at least I can do it that way, lol! I always feel really pleased with myself afterwards as it's such a big achievement for me. :D

Love and hugs from shoegal xxx

alexis
06-06-07, 00:26
Hi, I was going to thank you all individually for support etc, I thought I would just say, THANK YOU TO YOU ALL AS A GROUP, it reallly is appreciated.
Im not sure how many of you know my circumstances, but I dont go out much unless I have the car or a family/friend member with me. I have not been into my local town alone for approx 14months,due to an issue other than anxiety.
I suffer with a very fast heart, lump in the throat, and have taken myself off all meds and help.
I have a lovely understanding dentist, I had all my top teeth except for front 6 out, in 2 sessions, then he was ill so I walked around with 6 in for long enough, then final 6 came out and false ones in immediately.
I wish I had not put off appointments and treatment, but this would still have happened.
As I said my fear was false teeth more than dentists,ALTHOUGH I had a problem with dentists too,,,I knew i had to face things, I had to be strong and JFDI,I did it, Im still here to tell, even if my mouth is full of ulcers and sores.
I went alone for extraction,
i was hoping a fairy would appear, but sadly never.
thanks to you all once again for your help and support, I still need it!!

Piglet
06-06-07, 10:04
Alexis - I think you have been a real star over this *!!!!

I'm in awe of you managing it all by yourself - well done hun, massive well done!! :hugs:

I hope the new teeth look good - I remember a friend of the family doing it years ago and how wonderful his new teeth looked, it completely transformed him.

I hope you're keeping well otherwise mate??

All the best.

Pig xx

alexis
10-06-07, 20:03
Hi Piglet, many thanks, teeth look good but sadly dont fit so Im struggling at the moment, go back on Thursday, lets hope he can perform miracles in the chair and make them fit and rid me of all ulcers etc.
I hope you are OK, maybe catch up sometime msn(although i very rarely go on now), will fill you in on all then, take care.xxx