PDA

View Full Version : Oral cancer and leukoplakia?

littlemissanxious
21-08-17, 18:30
Hi everyone. I've been doing really well with my health anxiety. Until 7 weeks ago a bit of white appeared on my lower lip. Really tried to keep it together and not google. Hoping it would go away. I ended up being referred to a dermatologist and she said straight out it could be pre cancerous leukoplakia. She wants to wait a bit longer and then biopsy it. I am a 30 year old female, never smoked and don't drink. Everything I've read online suggests this makes me very high risk of it being cancer or changing into cancer long term. Just wondered if anyone else has experience with this as she gave me no info and my dentist said it could be sun damage related. Just really concerned it appeared from nowhere without cause and now I have to wait for the biopsy.

Fishmanpa
21-08-17, 18:35
Hi everyone. I've been doing really well with my health anxiety. Until 7 weeks ago a bit of white appeared on my lower lip. Really tried to keep it together and not google. Hoping it would go away. I ended up being referred to a dermatologist and she said straight out it could be pre cancerous leukoplakia. She wants to wait a bit longer and then biopsy it. I am a 30 year old female, never smoked and don't drink. Everything I've read online suggests this makes me very high risk of it being cancer or changing into cancer long term. Just wondered if anyone else has experience with this as she gave me no info and my dentist said it could be sun damage related. Just really concerned it appeared from nowhere without cause and now I have to wait for the biopsy.

Having been through this, I understand the waiting is the hardest part. That being said the mantra is: "It's not cancer until they say it is". The biopsy will determine what's going on and even if it's pre-cancerous, your doctors are aware and will keep an eye on things.

Of all the oral cancers, something so visible is a good thing. I had no clue anything was wrong (I had an unknown primary) until I was stage IV as it had spread to the nodes in my neck.

What I'm saying is, IF this is something to keep an eye on, you're in the best possible situation to do so.

Positive thoughts