PDA

View Full Version : Hospital Visit.

Kaptain Kaleidoscope
04-06-07, 03:42
Just returned from Blackpool Vic Hospital, after having some severe kind of anxiety attack. I am currently at a loss as to how to continue daily life feeling on the bring of going nuts all the time. How do you guys begin to cope with the problems? Where should I start in terms of looking for treatment i.e cognitive therapy?

Ellen70
04-06-07, 09:38
Hello KK, I am sorry to hear about the panic attack. Was this your first one? Anyway you will find lots on kindred spirits on NMP.
Have a read of the Self Help information on the left of this page and that should get you started. However if this was your first panic attack then there is no reason to think that you will continue to have them. Try to rest and relax as much as possible and don't be hard on yourself.
Come into the chat room and meet others if you like, but posting on the forum is the best way to get answers to questions or worries you might have.

Take care

Eibhlin

honeybee3939
04-06-07, 11:59
Hi
just wanted to welcome you to NMP:) , i hope we can be of help, like Eibhlin suggested take a good look around the site theres some good information that will help also.

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx

Insomniac
04-06-07, 15:56
Hi there Kaptain

You've certainly come to the right place for support and advice. There's loads of information here which I found really reassuring. Also my GP is lovely, very helpful. I do not see my usual GP but one who knows a bit about anxiety & panic. Maybe you could make an appointment to discuss the best way forward.

PUGLETMUM
04-06-07, 19:11
i would suggest finding a private cbt practitioner (around £75 an hour) in your area, as you will probably wait a long time if you go through your gp and as far as im concerned time is of the essence as it is now known that not getting help soon enough is what keeps this cycle going and it becomes harder and harder the longer youve been suffering.

go to the column on the left and click on 'finding help' then you will see the link for the the babcp(or something like that!) there you will be able to search for a trained accredited psyhcologist in your area.

i will be having week 7 of my therapy this saturday, and i can have 20 weeks if i want, which is much more than you would get on nhs,

also i decided at week 6 that i wanted to go fortnightly and my therapist agreed, as basically this is my therapy. it does help however that i am with the head of community mental health in my pct, she has now gone private and is retiring in a few weeks time, so she is extremely experienced and i feel very comfortable with her.

when i first spoke to her on the phone she said wed have an initial assesment to see if we could work together, i think this is a good sign, as you would probably be better working with someone you gel with and also you shouldnt feel bad about that, as you are the one who's paying. you wouldnt be able to pick and choose through the nhs, in my experience they would treat you like they were doing you a huge favour.

i would suggest it to anyone as this is currently the most effective treatment, id even take on a loan if i had to, youd borrow for a car or holiday etc and i think this is far more important.

all the best

let us know how you get on

emma