PDA

View Full Version : Talcum powder - ovarian c - panic

amby
22-08-17, 10:11
I'm in a real state of panic. I've had health anxiety in the past. Yesterday, I read I the ITV news that Johnson's has been ordered to pay out millions to a woman who has ovarian "c". I am so worried as I used talcum powder on my underwear for years. No one told me, there were no health warnings on the packaging and its still not widely spoken about. I'm now in panic mode again - any thoughts on this?

(Feel so sorry for my kids - anxiety of any sort can be very debilitation)

Fishmanpa
22-08-17, 15:26
Thoughts? Pffft... something is gonna get you some day. All of the food coloring, preservatives and other additives have been associated with health issues too. Too much sun can = skin cancers and the list goes on and on and on.

Generations have used talcum powder with no issues. If this bothers you then switch to a corn starch based powder.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
22-08-17, 17:12
J&J are arguing that they are guided by science and that studies aren't in agreement that it is carcinogenic.

I think this is a case of knowing the full details before judging because the reporting over here is a bit sparse. The BBC article gives details about the science being inconclusive which will be what people are going to be relying on:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41003540

But I am confused about the payout, the other cases won against them, etc so without knowing what the verdict is based on, which the reports seem to be omitting :shrug: It's hard to know what's really going on. Given more cases are to take place we must hear something.

What I do know is that regardless of this going on in the US, product safety will have been assessed most likely by EU agencies and certainly by UK ones. If they haven't seen fit to demand a warning on the label, they mustn't believe it's an issue. These cases may change this but we will have to see. But bare in mind what the charity in that link say about how increased risk may still mean it's rare.

---------- Post added at 17:12 ---------- Previous post was at 16:44 ----------

This is the international view on talc:

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/talcum-powder-and-cancer.html