PDA

View Full Version : Arms not attatched

Livvy_rice
22-08-17, 20:39
Does anyone ever get the feelings that their arms aren't attached to their body? I get this when my anxiety is really high its a strange feeling am I the only one who suffers with this strange symptom? X

Midnight-mouse
22-08-17, 20:41
I have had that more than once, I've even had a time when my hands weren't my own. I could see them and move them and feel with them but they still didn't feel like mine. My other half helped me out with it and we figured that it's because I was focused on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Livvy_rice
22-08-17, 20:44
Yes its such a strange symptom I get it sometimes when I'm texting I can move my hands and type but I feel like they're not mine even when I am watching them and making them move, so so strange ! X

Midnight-mouse
22-08-17, 21:12
Yes its such a strange symptom I get it sometimes when I'm texting I can move my hands and type but I feel like they're not mine even when I am watching them and making them move, so so strange ! X

It exactly the same as that with what you are experiencing with your arms. Being wired the way we are means that we hyper focus on all sorts of things, including our own limbs to the point of them feeling like they aren't there/ours. Especially if we are panicking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishmanpa
22-08-17, 21:12
Wanna feel something weird? I remember doing this as a young teen...

Stand in a doorway, arms to your side. lift you arms until the backs of your hands are against the door jam. Keep your arms straight and push against it as hard as you can for about a minute. Move away from the door and you're arms will almost involuntarily rise ;)

Positive thoughts

ServerError
23-08-17, 00:01
I actually rang my therapist from work to complain about this at some point. I was really frightened. I think it's just a feature of depersonalisation and if being hyperaware of sensations and stuck in a certain existential way of thinking. It's nothing to fear and it goes away as your mind calms.

MyNameIsTerry
23-08-17, 01:14
It's depersonalisation. There is a whole sub board no the Symptoms board dedicated to DP/DR as it's very common. It does tend to manifest at higher periods of anxiety or post panic attack but then it is seen as an escape route for the mind to get away from being overwhelmed. The irony is, in the anxious it just causes more anxiety over how weird we feel.

I would have a read on that board. You will see threads about your issue (I think we had one very similiar about a week ago on the HA board) as well as feeling like time isn't real, the universe isn't real, people feeling like they are outside of their bodies, that friends & family aren't real, etc.