PDA

View Full Version : Something that is really helping me

joeyr
04-06-07, 09:14
Wow. I found something that is really helping me lately so thought I would post on here to see if it helps others. I got the idea into my head of keeping a diary of all the things I was worried about every day - I've only been doing it a few days and feel better already! It helps me to realise that I am, most of the time, over-reacting, and there are very few illnesses (if any) that have ALL of the symptoms I have been worrying about at once, helping me to rationalise! If I notice anything that is not going away in a couple of weeks I will get it checked out but I have noticed that something worrying me in the morning disappears (or turns into something else lol!) by lunchtime and so on. It has also made me realise what a pain I am being to my husband and rest of my family. I have a daughter who is almost 2 and it's not good for her either to see me get worked up about a headache or she'll end up like me!
Here's what I had Saturday, for an example:

feeling dizzy
eyes hurt when I move them
feeling of pressure in my ears
runny nose
sore throat
slight headache
stiffness in shoulders
indigestion
pain in abdomen
(I was convinced I had liver failure) - sigh....

Sunday:
stiffness in neck
headache
feeling tired
tender spot on top of my head
(I was convinced I might have a brain tumour) (rolls eyes...)

Today I don't feel too bad!

Oh and I switch the computer off all day except to check emails in the morning and before I go to bed,so I can't conveniently look up symptoms on Google "while the computer is on!".

I hope this helps someone. I am determined to beat this anxiety as it is just making me miserable!!
Good luck everyone!

Phill2
04-06-07, 09:22
Good for you Joey.
Anything that helps can't be a bad thing.
Phill :shades:

Piglet
04-06-07, 09:56
A very sensible approach so that you can see where and how to keep things in perspective - well done hun! :yesyes:

Piglet :flowers:

yorkylover
04-06-07, 11:20
Great ideas!!!!especially about the computer.Googling is well bad.It makes anxiety 100 times worse.:yesyes:

honeybee3939
04-06-07, 11:43
Hi Joey

Sounds like a brill idea, glad its working for you hun.

Dont forget to write down also about all the progress you make:) , its always good to look back on our achievements too.:)

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

PUGLETMUM
04-06-07, 19:21
i think this is brilliant! as my therapist would say you are doing'cognitive restructuring' - that is you are turning your thoughts around, and you sound good and i really wish you all the best.

the thing to try and remember guys is we are not helpless victims to anxiety we can make it worse and also the best thing is we can make it better!!!

unfortunately it is all in the mind, all the symptoms are real but its the CRAZY thoughts that start the symptoms. ditch the thoughts and you get rid of the symptoms - its really that simple.

however we can never get rid of stress and things will happen in our lives that really trouble us, but you can find ways of dealing with stress.

emma

Lindalou64
12-06-07, 22:28
thats great joey what ever works right? im good for worrying not about health about everything else tho and it never happens if i could just shut that part of the brain down...i will start to to that why not might help thanks again.......linda xx

mkeeley
13-07-07, 04:32
I agree regarding Google, or any search engine, whilst you can find great sites likes this it's really easy to start searching for your symptoms and invariably you pick out the worst possible reason, cancer etc. which just makes you worry more.

If you have a symptom that isn't going away and you're worried about it simply see your GP, even if you find that others "have that, don't worry" just in-case.

Joe D
23-11-09, 19:15
You know what, I am going to do that myself.
No.1 - Feel a lot more relaxed after finding this site!!! haha

eyevideo12
18-01-10, 16:35
Very Welldone And Also Good For Me To Good Job

pjb
10-02-10, 13:06
have you tried making a list of things you're grateful of too?
that might be a healthy balance to the other list.
do it everyday.