PDA

View Full Version : New pet anxiety

Katie80
25-08-17, 00:42
Hi. My name is Katie and I'm new here. I wanted to get some advice because nobody I know really knows how an anxiety disorder works or how bad it can be. A little about me, I'm 37 and I've had GAD/panic disorder for more than 10 yrs now.
Anyway, the reason for my post is that I just got a new puppy (6months) about a week ago. I thought it would help me come out of my shell, get out more and talk to people and it had done that for sure. The problem is that I've had horrible stress and anxiety since I got her. I know such a huge change in routine did it. Plus I have 2 cats and one of them won't come out of hiding now.
I know that eventually this will help me (hopefully) but I just don't know how to get through until then. Many crying spells, questioning my desicion and stress.
Sorry about the long post, I just needed to talk about it and hopefully get some advice. It's nice to talk to people who know what it's like. Thanks in advance.

MyNameIsTerry
25-08-17, 01:17
Hi and welcome to the forum, Katie :welcome:

There are loads of us who have been through this and come out the other side of it with a loving pet we wouldn't trade for the world.

This is a good thread to have a read of. There are others too but this is a longer one with multiple people involved. You will see those of us who have been there, stuck it out and are glad we have.

I found it tough, as have others as you will see, but it's so worth it.

I'm sure you will get some more responses to this, there are lots of pet lovers on here.

braindead
25-08-17, 11:10
Its not a good idea to bring a dog into a house with 2 cats already settled , your dog is 6 months old and not really a puppy , was the dog a rescue dog or did you get it from a someone who didnt want it. Its had time in 6 months to learn bad habits you may not be able to break. DONT make yourself ill , if you cannot cope .what sort of dog is it, is it a small dog large dog ????you dont say. i have my dog buddy who i love to bits but he still stresses me out at times they all do till there about 2 year old , if you havent the time to train the dog or its making you ill its not fair on both of you and your cats :unsure:

Katie80
25-08-17, 17:15
The dog is a rescue. She is a lab mix. She is actually great with the cats. One of the cats is fine but the other just won't come around so far. So your advice is to just get rid of my new dog?

braindead
25-08-17, 17:56
The dog is a rescue. She is a lab mix. She is actually great with the cats. One of the cats is fine but the other just won't come around so far. So your advice is to just get rid of my new dog?

If its making you ill then yes, why did you go for such a big dog. Plenty of people in perfect health have trouble with a new dog. You are worried or you would not have posted, if the dog picks up on your reactions and tears it will do just has it likes. You have to be STRONG . do you live on your own if not can your partner help train and walk the dog while you chill . Time a patience is what the dog need especially a rescue dog, did you find out why it was in the shelter in the first place is a good start . :wacko:

---------- Post added at 17:56 ---------- Previous post was at 17:52 ----------

If its making you ill then yes, why did you go for such a big dog. Plenty of people in perfect health have trouble with a new dog. You are worried or you would not have posted, if the dog picks up on your reactions and tears it will do just has it likes. You have to be STRONG . do you live on your own if not can your partner help train and walk the dog while you chill . Time a patience is what the dog need especially a rescue dog, did you find out why it was in the shelter in the first place is a good start . A dog that big need 2 good walks a day of about 2 mile or it will be bored stupid . Can you manage to do that in poor health i am just being honest:shrug:

Katie80
26-08-17, 01:50
I feel like your being really judgy and just finding ways to tell me i made a stupid desicion. The dogs size has nothing to do with it. She is a mix. Shes not that big. Im just having a hard time with the total change in routine and new addition. Its the same for me with people, but i cant just stop being around them. Im trying to push out of my comfort zone. Its just hard. I was just looking for some support. Nevermind.

MyNameIsTerry
26-08-17, 04:07
I feel like your being really judgy and just finding ways to tell me i made a stupid desicion. The dogs size has nothing to do with it. She is a mix. Shes not that big. Im just having a hard time with the total change in routine and new addition. Its the same for me with people, but i cant just stop being around them. Im trying to push out of my comfort zone. Its just hard. I was just looking for some support. Nevermind.

Have you read that other thread? Have you seen everyone struggling with the change and new responsibility yet coming through it? We all seem to be saying the same, that's the anxiety running amok, but we adjust.

Midnight-mouse
26-08-17, 10:01

I hope that you haven't given up on reading replies here I can completely understand what your going through. In fact I'm just coming out the other side of it after the first week of owning a kitten, and it's what drew me to this site in the first place.

How are you doing now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

braindead
26-08-17, 10:14
Have you read that other thread? Have you seen everyone struggling with the change and new responsibility yet coming through it? We all seem to be saying the same, that's the anxiety running amok, but we adjust.

Terry i am saying that filling the house with pets is not always a good move when ill. They rely on us from walking to feeding and effection, IF ill its not the time to try and train a dog if you haven't the mental health and strength of mind and body. There are times in my house where i am out my tree with illness and if not for my wife my dog buddy would be neglected and that would hurt me and the dog. Having a dog is hard work some harder than others , we can all look at our dogs at 4 year old and think what a great pet he is, and forget what a little bleeder he was has a pup. I am saying it hard work if not ill ///so its treble if ill . :wacko:

pulisa
26-08-17, 13:17
No one is suggesting that a new dog isn't hard work. It certainly is but that doesn't mean to say that it's impossible. It's very early days for you, Katie, and changes in routine involved with new additions to your family are really going to throw you out/question whether you have done the right thing etc. But I think you have. You sound like the ideal person to take on a rescue pet and you appreciate that pet ownership will help you both in the long run. It will be tricky to begin with but it is for every new dog owner. You will know if things are really not to be with your new dog but I sincerely hope that time and confidence will make things easier and will bring you both benefits. Have a read about new pet anxiety from other members on here and you will see that your fears are very normal.

braindead
26-08-17, 17:29
No one is suggesting that a new dog isn't hard work. It certainly is but that doesn't mean to say that it's impossible. It's very early days for you, Katie, and changes in routine involved with new additions to your family are really going to throw you out/question whether you have done the right thing etc. But I think you have. You sound like the ideal person to take on a rescue pet and you appreciate that pet ownership will help you both in the long run. It will be tricky to begin with but it is for every new dog owner. You will know if things are really not to be with your new dog but I sincerely hope that time and confidence will make things easier and will bring you both benefits. Have a read about new pet anxiety from other members on here and you will see that your fears are very normal.
you seem to forget she has 2 cats , i would never dream of bringing a big strange dog into a 2 cat house , aready 1 cat has flipped out. Dogs chase cats well they do in ENGLAND, not the brightest idea then again being ill makes you do weird things .:wacko:

---------- Post added at 17:29 ---------- Previous post was at 17:13 ----------

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1636779022999334&set=pb.100000017568459.-2207520000.1503764856.&type=3&theater

pulisa
26-08-17, 17:55
I think that this is a very harsh comment, braindead. There are plenty of successful cat and dog households after the initial settling in period has passed. No need to be the prophet of doom. Let's give Katie some support and reassurance that all is not lost as it's very early days and things take time. By all means lay into me all you want but don't criticise Katie please?

Midnight-mouse
26-08-17, 18:03
I think that this is a very harsh comment, braindead. There are plenty of successful cat and dog households after the initial settling in period has passed. No need to be the prophet of doom. Let's give Katie some support and reassurance that all is not lost as it's very early days and things take time. By all means lay into me all you want but don't criticise Katie please?

I agree completely here. I've had both cats and dogs introduced at different times to my households over my life time and they do sometimes need a little adjustment time.

The benefits of having animals even if you are ill are amazing and you often find that even when we can't take care of ourselves, our animals always get what they need in turn helping us in the long run. There's no need to judge someone's furry family.

braindead
26-08-17, 18:30

OK PULISA, lets leave it at that and see what happens ,:hugs:https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1636779022999334&set=pb.100000017568459.-2207520000.1503764856.&type=3&theater

Bigboyuk
26-08-17, 18:44
Hmm very interesting this thread! Cats sure dogs chase cats but guess what it can be trained out of them to do this I know I have done it with my bully breed so can be done. as for owning cats and dogs together again it's possible to get a harmony going simply redirect you pup (this is to Katie) every time it tries to chase your cat(s) with some thing really tasty like chicken or hot dog pieces!! Yes it wont be easy put the work in and you can do it :) what breed have you got and did you do any research on the breed? if you didn't there is still time to do this.

What training are you doing at the moment? Mine was very naughty at 3 months old and I thought right to the dogs home you go, No, thanks to other peoples advice (on a dog forum) I stepped up my training a lot it was hard but now got a 10 year old dog that I wouldn't part with for all the world, still pushes my button some times but now I have tools in place that works :)So important to have house rules and boundaries as you are the leader of the pack. If you have any questions about anything please don't hesitate to ask Cheers

Katie80
26-08-17, 20:50
Thank you midnight-mouse and Pulisa. I'm doing a little better. I think the dog will end up doing me good. Im getting out of the house so much more and interacting with people because she loves everyone. I'm just used to the exact opposite of that lol. I believe it will be good in the end, just the stress and anxiety of navigating through the change has been hard. Thank you for your words of support.

---------- Post added at 14:50 ---------- Previous post was at 14:48 ----------

P.s. I didn't see a link to a previous thread on this topic. (Sorry I'm new ��)

pulisa
26-08-17, 21:13
It's never easy to begin with, Katie, but I'm really pleased that you are making progress. Take it slowly and see how things go? Please keep us posted?

Midnight-mouse
26-08-17, 21:16
Thank you midnight-mouse and Pulisa. I'm doing a little better. I think the dog will end up doing me good. Im getting out of the house so much more and interacting with people because she loves everyone. I'm just used to the exact opposite of that lol. I believe it will be good in the end, just the stress and anxiety of navigating through the change has been hard. Thank you for your words of support.

---------- Post added at 14:50 ---------- Previous post was at 14:48 ----------

P.s. I didn't see a link to a previous thread on this topic. (Sorry I'm new í*½í¸•)

It's not a problem, it was probably a major shock to the system. I think sometimes that when I'm doing really well anxiety and the like really flare up in protest but gradually they get silenced, I'm glad your enjoying the company of your pup a little more. If you need a chat at any point please feel free to send me a message at any time :)

Katie80
27-08-17, 00:12
Thank you again you guys. And to braindead, i don't know why you feel the need to judge so harshly and frankly be awful to someone that is just having a hard time with a life change. Also i would like to add that i spend weeks visiting shelters and finding the right dog that was submissive enough not to bother the cats. And she does NOT bother the cats. She's very good around them. One is just having a hard time coming around regardless. The problem is not the dog. The problem is with the huge change, but i am still perfectly capable of taking care of their needs. Im glad other people chimed in on this they seem to understand where the anxiety and stress is really coming from. I know I'm new, but i actually wonder why you would be in a forum like this? It doesn't seem like you want to help people. At least that's how it feels.

MyNameIsTerry
27-08-17, 04:33
Terry i am saying that filling the house with pets is not always a good move when ill. They rely on us from walking to feeding and effection, IF ill its not the time to try and train a dog if you haven't the mental health and strength of mind and body. There are times in my house where i am out my tree with illness and if not for my wife my dog buddy would be neglected and that would hurt me and the dog. Having a dog is hard work some harder than others , we can all look at our dogs at 4 year old and think what a great pet he is, and forget what a little bleeder he was has a pup. I am saying it hard work if not ill ///so its treble if ill . :wacko:

I don't disagree with you, Brian. Some may be too ill ay the time to take it on and then it's unfair on the animal.

It's really for the OP to assess but we tend to go into it thinking it's just us and seeing others do it can help to add some balance before making the decision (that includes before taking an animal too).

At times where I was struggling to feed & wash myself, I don't know how I would have coped. I did some things but family had the reins. It might have forced me but I could have neglected too, it's a question I can't answer.

pulisa
27-08-17, 08:10
Personally I feel pet ownership has given me huge benefits despite the hard times (and there have been many). I find it challenging getting used to a new pet (we have recently got a baby guinea pig to pair up with a bereaved adult pig) and yes the settling in is tricky with all sorts of worries on my part but it does get easier as you get more used to the routine..

Good for you, Katie, in taking on your new puppy and wishing you all the very best with her!

braindead
27-08-17, 10:41
HAS EVERY ONE READ THE FIRST POST ???????????? I am not being negative the lady doesn't mention any family backup, so i assumed maybe wrongly she lives on her own. She mentioned she is full of anxiety and stress all to do with the situation. I am not going to tell someone in a state of mental torture everything will turn our good. Many families of stable background cannot cope with the melt down a puppy causes never mind a 6month rescue dog and 2 cats. I wish her all the luck i really do she will need it , PS TERRY i hardly think a new guinea pig in a cage is on the same level has a six-month rescue Labrador , but you made me smile.:yesyes:

Midnight-mouse
27-08-17, 11:04
HAS EVERY ONE READ THE FIRST POST ???????????? I am not being negative the lady doesn't mention any family backup, so i assumed maybe wrongly she lives on her own. She mentioned she is full of anxiety and stress all to do with the situation. I am not going to tell someone in a state of mental torture everything will turn our good. Many families of stable background cannot cope with the melt down a puppy causes never mind a 6month rescue dog and 2 cats. I wish her all the luck i really do she will need it , PS TERRY i hardly think a new guinea pig in a cage is on the same level has a six-month rescue Labrador , but you made me smile.:yesyes:

Yes I read the first post, these emotions are quite normal when changing routines drastically. I know I've felt it more than once, yes even with a rodent in a cage as you put it. They are still a responsibility that you have taken on.

I understand it to even be very common for new parents to come home with a baby and freak out, I wouldn't expect someone to suggest they get rid of the child.

pulisa
27-08-17, 13:12

Braindead, I don't expect you to understand the concept of caring for guinea pigs/rodents but it is not a piece of cake if you do it properly and I have to factor in my daughter's autism which means that any new development in our household has to be planned with military precision and anything going wrong will result in panic with a vengeance. And things can go very wrong when introducing a new male guinea pig but you need to do your research on this before attempting it in order to have a successful outcome.
I have had my fair share of feral cats and have negotiated hyperthyroidism medication on a daily basis with them successfully. But I've never had a dog so what do I know? What I do know is that Katie appears to be making progress with her new puppy and she knows what she's doing. She hasn't just picked a puppy from a breeder or a puppy farm-she's done it responsibly and properly. If things don't work out she will do the right thing for everyone, I'm sure.

---------- Post added at 13:12 ---------- Previous post was at 13:07 ----------

Also having responsibility for anything/anyone can be a huge challenge for people with anxiety. I even get worried about my gerbil....because I care and worry that I will miss something if she is unwell. But that's OK-it's just responsible pet ownership whether it's a gerbil or a beloved family dog. I'd still much rather have animals than not and I'm sure Katie feels the same.

KK77
27-08-17, 14:13
I think anxiety sufferers tend to make excellent pet owners. Maybe it's because we have a heightened sense of responsibility and know only too well the pangs of guilt our actions can cause. Also having empathy - animals have feelings too.

Of course dogs require more time, attention and effort than a cat or gerbil but the dedication, love and care should still be the same.

There have been times when I felt I couldn't get out of bed, yet did so to make sure my cat was fed. So having a pet seems to invariably work positively both ways for pet and owner.

Hope all works out well for you Katie.

Bigboyuk
27-08-17, 14:23
I don't disagree with you, Brian. Some may be too ill ay the time to take it on and then it's unfair on the animal.

It's really for the OP to assess but we tend to go into it thinking it's just us and seeing others do it can help to add some balance before making the decision (that includes before taking an animal too).

At times where I was struggling to feed & wash myself, I don't know how I would have coped. I did some things but family had the reins. It might have forced me but I could have neglected too, it's a question I can't answer.[/QUOTE Terry I was in a similar situation to you too yes I could feed my self but many things became a absolute bind like dressing and taking a shower etc my dog has been there for me many times and I love her for that there's no malice or rejection etc from her just unconditional love. Katie it will get easier but you have a very young dog approaching adult hood soon time will fly by and you will think what was I worrying about please keep us updated Thanks Cheers

---------- Post added at 14:23 ---------- Previous post was at 14:18 ----------

[QUOTE=KK77;1712611]I think anxiety sufferers tend to make excellent pet owners. Maybe it's because we have a heightened sense of responsibility and know only too well the pangs of guilt our actions can cause. Also having empathy - animals have feelings too.

Of course dogs require more time, attention and effort than a cat or gerbil but the dedication, love and care should still be the same.

There have been times when I felt I couldn't get out of bed, yet did so to make sure my cat was fed. So having a pet seems to invariably work positively both ways for pet and owner.

Hope all works out well for you Katie.KK Nice post and so true mate thank you:shades: Cheers

braindead
27-08-17, 17:00
Yes I read the first post, these emotions are quite normal when changing routines drastically. I know I've felt it more than once, yes even with a rodent in a cage as you put it. They are still a responsibility that you have taken on.

I understand it to even be very common for new parents to come home with a baby and freak out, I wouldn't expect someone to suggest they get rid of the child.

POST NATAL DEPRESSION is when a normal mother becomes severely mentally ill to a point she rejects her new born baby. this can go on for weeks -months ect and can even reject the child, this can devastate a whole family. A very bad taste remark to this post :lac:

Midnight-mouse
27-08-17, 17:05
POST NATAL DEPRESSION is when a normal mother becomes severely mentally ill to a point she rejects her new born baby. this can go on for weeks -months ect and can devastate a whole family. A very bad taste remark to this post :lac:

I'm not sure I understand I wasn't referring to post natal depression in the slightest just when new parents come home put the baby down and just look at each other as to say "what do we do now" and the overwhelming sense of responsibility - a story my parents told me of my arrival, and that she reiterated just this last week when I was struggling with the kitten.
I'm sorry if this was worded in a manner that made my intention unclear.

braindead
27-08-17, 17:24
I'm not sure I understand I wasn't referring to post natal depression in the slightest just when new parents come home put the baby down and just look at each other as to say "what do we do now" and the overwhelming sense of responsibility - a story my parents told me of my arrival, and that she reiterated just this last week when I was struggling with the kitten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk OKAY:hugs:

---------- Post added at 17:24 ---------- Previous post was at 17:23 ----------

Everyone is going on about the dog, i am more interested in the health of its owner.A fragile lady suffering anxiety on her own

pulisa
27-08-17, 17:37
Every time you get challenged you respond with :hugs:No way was Midnight Mouse referring to post natal depression which is a world away from anxiety when faced with a new baby and all its demands.

Some of us are able to carry on when we are ill and appreciate the distraction and focus a new pet brings. We are talking anxiety and depressive illness here-obviously for major mental illnesses this would be impossible.

Katie80
27-08-17, 17:54
Yes braindead im perfectly able to care for my animals needs. I do live by myself which makes animals more important to me. I feel like i constantly have to defend myself to you on this thread and i shouldn't have to. So can i ask that you please not respond anymore here? No offense but your style doesn't help at best and at worst makes me feel more anxious and just plain worse than when i got here and I don't think that's what this forum is for. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 11:54 ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 ----------

To everyone else I can't thank you enough. The support and just knowing that other people know what I'm going through helps a lot. Sometimes it just helps to talk about it with people who know. I'm glad I found this place.

Midnight-mouse
27-08-17, 17:58
OKAY:hugs:

---------- Post added at 17:24 ---------- Previous post was at 17:23 ----------

Everyone is going on about the dog, i am more interested in the health of its owner.A fragile lady suffering anxiety on her own

I really don't think that Katie is fragile at all, like most of us here just suffering with anxious thoughts and feelings. Believe me I'm far from fragile even on my worst days and I think this goes for anyone who fights these issues. I'm interested in Katie's health and happiness too that's why I responded in the first place but I feel this has strayed too far from the cause.

Katie, how are you and the animals doing today?

braindead
27-08-17, 18:34
Braindead, I don't expect you to understand the concept of caring for guinea pigs/rodents but it is not a piece of cake if you do it properly and I have to factor in my daughter's autism which means that any new development in our household has to be planned with military precision and anything going wrong will result in panic with a vengeance. And things can go very wrong when introducing a new male guinea pig but you need to do your research on this before attempting it in order to have a successful outcome.
I have had my fair share of feral cats and have negotiated hyperthyroidism medication on a daily basis with them successfully. But I've never had a dog so what do I know? What I do know is that Katie appears to be making progress with her new puppy and she knows what she's doing. She hasn't just picked a puppy from a breeder or a puppy farm-she's done it responsibly and properly. If things don't work out she will do the right thing for everyone, I'm sure.

---------- Post added at 13:12 ---------- Previous post was at 13:07 ----------

Also having responsibility for anything/anyone can be a huge challenge for people with anxiety. I even get worried about my gerbil....because I care and worry that I will miss something if she is unwell. But that's OK-it's just responsible pet ownership whether it's a gerbil or a beloved family dog. I'd still much rather have animals than not and I'm sure Katie feels the same.

i have 3 dogs ,and a 160 gallon aquarium that is worked by 3 light units 6 pumps 4 heaters, 3 wave makers, a large filter unit , plus £1500 of trophus cichlids . total with tank £3000 now that takes some looking after every single day by me alone, has my family would not have a clue, like your goldfish in a bowl :bighug1:

---------- Post added at 18:22 ---------- Previous post was at 18:16 ----------

Yes braindead im perfectly able to care for my animals needs. I do live by myself which makes animals more important to me. I feel like i constantly have to defend myself to you on this thread and i shouldn't have to. So can i ask that you please not respond anymore here? No offense but your style doesn't help at best and at worst makes me feel more anxious and just plain worse than when i got here and I don't think that's what this forum is for. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 11:54 ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 ----------

To everyone else I can't thank you enough. The support and just knowing that other people know what I'm going through helps a lot. Sometimes it just helps to talk about it with people who know. I'm glad I found this place. :whistles::whistles::whistles::bighug1: take care

---------- Post added at 18:34 ---------- Previous post was at 18:22 ----------

TIME TO LEAVE THE FORUM , i tried to look after a lady i thought was in trouble but i am THEN the bad guy. i have been injecting humour into the forum that some members seemed to like . If everyone agreed to a post it would be boring. I have controversial views i believe them so i post them. Mental illness is a curse i have had it 50 years and more i am not going to lie on a post just to be nice , i only do truth BYE:wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

Katie80
27-08-17, 19:11
Thanks midnight mouse. Today has been ok. Last night I went to my brothers (I keep the dog in the bathroom when I'm gone until potty training is complete) and when I got back no accidents! She's doing really well with it. As for the cat, he is coming out slowly mostly when the dog (her name is Charcoal btw) is asleep. Or I assume when we are gone. Charcoal sleeps through the entire night so the cats get the night to themselves. I'm hoping he keeps making progress. I keep a baby gate in the hallway so the cats can get away to the bedroom area and not be bothered if they like. But the scaredy cat still prefers to go under the couch for now. We also have a vet appt this week so ill see if she has any ideas to help.

My anxiety comes and goes with this. When we are out walking or at the park, I think that this is great. I'm out of the house way more and that's one thing I definitely wanted. I always have such a hard time with change though. It will just take a while for her to become part of my routine. You know?

Bigboyuk
27-08-17, 19:20
i have 3 dogs ,and a 160 gallon aquarium that is worked by 3 light units 6 pumps 4 heaters, 3 wave makers, a large filter unit , plus £1500 of trophus cichlids . total with tank £3000 now that takes some looking after every single day by me alone, has my family would not have a clue, like your goldfish in a bowl :bighug1:

---------- Post added at 18:22 ---------- Previous post was at 18:16 ----------

:whistles::whistles::whistles::bighug1: take care

---------- Post added at 18:34 ---------- Previous post was at 18:22 ----------

TIME TO LEAVE THE FORUM , i tried to look after a lady i thought was in trouble but i am THEN the bad guy. i have been injecting humour into the forum that some members seemed to like . If everyone agreed to a post it would be boring. I have controversial views i believe them so i post them. Mental illness is a curse i have had it 50 years and more i am not going to lie on a post just to be nice , i only do truth BYE:wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko: Well must admit Braindead total respect to you for acknowledging this not siding with any one but humour is good some get it, some don't :) Don't think it's not caring about Katie cause we do, but this new dog is bringing on new challenges which in it's self can cause added stress and anxiety for sure. Must mention the cat again it's not the dogs doing as the dog is quite well behaved towards the cats it's the one cat that wont come out of hiding a totally natural response but give it time Katie and things will be ok :) Cheers

Midnight-mouse
27-08-17, 19:20
Thanks midnight mouse. Today has been ok. Last night I went to my brothers (I keep the dog in the bathroom when I'm gone until potty training is complete) and when I got back no accidents! She's doing really well with it. As for the cat, he is coming out slowly mostly when the dog (her name is Charcoal btw) is asleep. Or I assume when we are gone. Charcoal sleeps through the entire night so the cats get the night to themselves. I'm hoping he keeps making progress. I keep a baby gate in the hallway so the cats can get away to the bedroom area and not be bothered if they like. But the scaredy cat still prefers to go under the couch for now. We also have a vet appt this week so ill see if she has any ideas to help.

My anxiety comes and goes with this. When we are out walking or at the park, I think that this is great. I'm out of the house way more and that's one thing I definitely wanted. I always have such a hard time with change though. It will just take a while for her to become part of my routine. You know?

Charcoal is an adorable name, I love it. Really glad potty training is going well though, no accidents are a great sign. It sounds like the little guy (cat) will make his progress at his own pace. I know it's taken a while in the past in my parents home.

I understand completely about the anxiety coming and going, sounds like when your not out enjoying yourself with your lovely pup that the anxious thoughts are creeping in, perhaps reflecting upon the times your most happy with her and asking yourself what's different at the time your feeling anxious. It sounds like your doing amazing getting out more and enjoying your time and that's brilliant.

You have a whole new personality to learn and she's learning you, you will both fall into sync with each other soon enough.

Bigboyuk
27-08-17, 19:34

My anxiety comes and goes with this. When we are out walking or at the park, I think that this is great. I'm out of the house way more and that's one thing I definitely wanted. I always have such a hard time with change though. It will just take a while for her to become part of my routine. You know?Katie Iam glad your dog (nice name btw!) is settling in ok and no accidents either that's a bonus for you:yesyes: The cat will come round bt it will take time and will probably get good vibes off the other cat too:) he will keep progressing for sure. It's like a get very down some days but when I see my dog (Nipper is her name) look at me cant ignore her and thought today yes short walk actually no a long walk and now she is fast asleep ahh and it gets you of the house, so yes you are doing great Cheers

Katie80
27-08-17, 22:15
Thanks again guys. Cats were just so easy lol and dogs are totally different. It will take some getting used to.

Midnight-mouse
27-08-17, 22:29
Thanks again guys. Cats were just so easy lol and dogs are totally different. It will take some getting used to.

No worries, I actually find dogs easier, but the walkies worry me that I don't think I would be a good owner at the moment.

Katie80
28-08-17, 04:24
You think so? Cats are just like , feed em clean the litter snd your done! Lol. Now im dealing with with training of all kinds. It's definitely keeping me on my toes.
I think i would have done just fine with just the cats, but reclusiveness was getting to a point that I really wanted a companion that would get me out more. That just means more work.
Is there a reason walks are hard for you at the moment? If you don't mind me asking of coarse.

Midnight-mouse
28-08-17, 09:08
You think so? Cats are just like , feed em clean the litter snd your done! Lol. Now im dealing with with training of all kinds. It's definitely keeping me on my toes.
I think i would have done just fine with just the cats, but reclusiveness was getting to a point that I really wanted a companion that would get me out more. That just means more work.
Is there a reason walks are hard for you at the moment? If you don't mind me asking of coarse.

No I don't mind at all. I seem to speak dog better than cat is all, I find them easier to bond with of but of course I love my kitten (Leo)
Training can seem daunting but it's all repetition and food incentives, don't tackle it all at once, potty train with pads leading to where you want them to toilet, for us it was the back garden although our little one only ever went when he was on walks. Then work on sit, once you have that it's the same for any other command they are smart and like food ;) they will pick it up really easy when you get going.

I think I struggle with the outside a lot more than I used to, especially after our 13 year old dog was put to sleep in June. But I dread having to go out, I think it's just I can't control everything out there and feel very vulnerable. I'm working on it but it's definitely not an easy battle for me, I become overwhelmed very quickly.

How are you feeling today?

Bigboyuk
28-08-17, 12:45
MM Makes a good point but it's not just repetition etc consistency is also so important Yes treats are essesntial in the training process, but don't just rely on food treats and what I did when my dog was a lot younger and say I was recalling her back to me. I would call her she would come running over give her a treat and off she goes few mins later call her again but this time no treat just a gentle pat on the head and off she goes! So vary the no of times your dog gets a treat and if you don't want your dog to become reliant on food treats then when a command is perfectly executed then gradually wean the threats off and replace with a fav toy or extra play time ,etc just like the police sniffer dogs when the dog has found drugs it's rewarded with a fav toy, a tennis ball :) Potty training well mixed views on puppy pads I did use them but it slowed the process down for me(and at 6 months old a dog should be fully trained on this) I just simply watched the dogs body laungauge constant sniffing of the carpet going round in circles is a good sign that they want to go even 12 week old pups will do this behaviour! simply pick the pup up (or in your case get your dog out side quickly to finish off at 6 months old you dog's bladder is quite big so will be able to hold it in for few hrs and always praise,praise so important when a command has be asked for and the dog does as it's asked to also verbally praise too :)Cheers

---------- Post added at 12:45 ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 ----------

No I don't mind at all. I seem to speak dog better than cat is all, I find them easier to bond with of but of course I love my kitten (Leo)
Training can seem daunting but it's all repetition and food incentives, don't tackle it all at once, potty train with pads leading to where you want them to toilet, for us it was the back garden although our little one only ever went when he was on walks. Then work on sit, once you have that it's the same for any other command they are smart and like food ;) they will pick it up really easy when you get going.

I think I struggle with the outside a lot more than I used to, especially after our 13 year old dog was put to sleep in June. But I dread having to go out, I think it's just I can't control everything out there and feel very vulnerable. I'm working on it but it's definitely not an easy battle for me, I become overwhelmed very quickly.

How are you feeling today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Hi I can identify with that too for me it was a bad experience, take baby steps, easy does it and in your own time it will get easier for you :) Cheers

Midnight-mouse
28-08-17, 12:48
[/COLOR] Hi I can identify with that too for me it was a bad experience, take baby steps, easy does it and in your own time it will get easier for you :) Cheers

Thank you, I'm not sure what caused mine but I managed to get to the shops yesterday so that's a little better then I was before.

Bigboyuk
28-08-17, 13:14
Thank you, I'm not sure what caused mine but I managed to get to the shops yesterday so that's a little better then I was before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk You are welcome MM :) And mark what you did down as a positive too perhaps use a white board to record your acheivments on too! Cheers

Midnight-mouse
28-08-17, 13:21
You are welcome MM :) And mark what you did down as a positive too perhaps use a white board to record your acheivments on too! Cheers

That's not a bad idea actually it would be nice to be able to see them I also managed to eat two small meals yesterday which is very good given recent behaviour as a starting point.
I hope you are well today?

Bigboyuk
28-08-17, 14:04
That's not a bad idea actually it would be nice to be able to see them I also managed to eat two small meals yesterday which is very good given recent behaviour as a starting point.
I hope you are well today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk:yesyes: Iam pleased you are moving forward on this so keep up the good work :) Yes Iam ok thanks but living with a alcoholic (see my other thread need some advice MISC forum)
BTW It wont make me a alcoholic, so don't worry I am much stronger than that ;) Cheers

braindead
28-08-17, 14:48
The forum is not what i thought, most are suffering situation anxiety and mild GAD . I was thinking we were all hospital walking wounded in remission just waiting for the next attack, most are helped by a GP surgery not a mental unit, SO sorry. KATIE80 things wont be so bad i thought you were a mental patient who needs constant care .i didnt even ask if you took medication, so you could be ok to train your dog no problem , I am a proper space cadet who has a mental unit nurse visit me every week sometimes every 2 weeks she reports back to my shrink and he then adjusts the meds , or worse send me in the ZOO for a week or 2 . I assume everybody is like me wrecked. but reading a few replies you seem pretty stable to me, you first post threw me . I WAS IN REMISSION when we had my dog buddy 7 week old and he was shitting outside at 8weeks . we have 2 more at 10 and 5 year. So carry on the fight:when i am in remission i could tame a POLAR BEAR when not though i have all on functioning ,thats when i could not even train a psychiatrist:wacko::wacko::wacko:

KK77
28-08-17, 15:01
The forum is not what i thought, most are suffering situation anxiety and mild GAD . I was thinking we were all hospital walking wounded in remission just waiting for the next attack, most are helped by a GP surgery not a mental unit,

I think there are people here at all stages of their recovery Brian.

Don't take anything said here personally - I think there has been a misunderstanding and clash of approaches more than anything. We all share the love of pets.

But Katie is a new member who isn't acquainted with your style or the forum, so I can understand why she was upset and felt under attack.

welshgirl in crewe
28-08-17, 15:16
Hi all, why be judged on taking in a rescue dog? I have a dog who is 14mnths old had from 8weeks ask any1 who has had a new pet it can be stressful for all concerned as pet needs to get use to new ppl and surroundings and you need to get use to your pet, bella is my third bullmastif now its not been easy teaching her right from wrong but it a learning progress just like a child has to learn. My partner had same issues with our rottie who is now 2yr and a brilliant dog. Don't stress short steps if dog is naughty turn your back on it and fold your arms give no attention. I keep my post short but hang in there it be worth it, as for getting rid of your dog I wouldn't as a dog will get you out and great company, seems sum1 thinks that the answer when clearly it not.... x any advice you can message me

Bigboyuk
28-08-17, 16:57
Hi all, why be judged on taking in a rescue dog? I have a dog who is 14mnths old had from 8weeks ask any1 who has had a new pet it can be stressful for all concerned as pet needs to get use to new ppl and surroundings and you need to get use to your pet, bella is my third bullmastif now its not been easy teaching her right from wrong but it a learning progress just like a child has to learn. My partner had same issues with our rottie who is now 2yr and a brilliant dog. Don't stress short steps if dog is naughty turn your back on it and fold your arms give no attention. I keep my post short but hang in there it be worth it, as for getting rid of your dog I wouldn't as a dog will get you out and great company, seems sum1 thinks that the answer when clearly it not.... x any advice you can message me I certainly don't judge and think it's good that dogs are rescued
by people :) It's so true and deffinately a learning curve taking a dog in is a massive responsibility but when you have worked your magic the end result it amazing Cheers

pulisa
28-08-17, 18:01
The forum is not what i thought, most are suffering situation anxiety and mild GAD . I was thinking we were all hospital walking wounded in remission just waiting for the next attack, most are helped by a GP surgery not a mental unit, SO sorry. KATIE80 things wont be so bad i thought you were a mental patient who needs constant care .i didnt even ask if you took medication, so you could be ok to train your dog no problem , I am a proper space cadet who has a mental unit nurse visit me every week sometimes every 2 weeks she reports back to my shrink and he then adjusts the meds , or worse send me in the ZOO for a week or 2 . I assume everybody is like me wrecked. but reading a few replies you seem pretty stable to me, you first post threw me . I WAS IN REMISSION when we had my dog buddy 7 week old and he was shitting outside at 8weeks . we have 2 more at 10 and 5 year. So carry on the fight:when i am in remission i could tame a POLAR BEAR when not though i have all on functioning ,thats when i could not even train a psychiatrist:wacko::wacko::wacko:

It's reassuring to know that you are being closely monitored for your bipolar, Brian. Many of us on here choose not to share information on the severity or not of their mental health issues so maybe it's best to err on the side of caution and not make radical judgements when you post advice?

You obviously have great experience with dog training-I'm sure you could support Katie really well on this thread with helpful advice?

braindead
28-08-17, 18:40
It's reassuring to know that you are being closely monitored for your bipolar, Brian. Many of us on here choose not to share information on the severity or not of their mental health issues so maybe it's best to err on the side of caution and not make radical judgements when you post advice?

You obviously have great experience with dog training-I'm sure you could support Katie really well on this thread with helpful advice?
some days i shouldn't post but my brain is not my own at times . i wear my heart on my sleeve and if posters hide there illness i cannot be blaimed , i just assume we are all the same , my mistake:bighug1:

Bigboyuk
28-08-17, 18:59
The forum is not what i thought, most are suffering situation anxiety and mild GAD . I was thinking we were all hospital walking wounded in remission just waiting for the next attack, most are helped by a GP surgery not a mental unit, SO sorry. KATIE80 things wont be so bad i thought you were a mental patient who needs constant care .i didnt even ask if you took medication, so you could be ok to train your dog no problem , I am a proper space cadet who has a mental unit nurse visit me every week sometimes every 2 weeks she reports back to my shrink and he then adjusts the meds , or worse send me in the ZOO for a week or 2 . I assume everybody is like me wrecked. but reading a few replies you seem pretty stable to me, you first post threw me . I WAS IN REMISSION when we had my dog buddy 7 week old and he was shitting outside at 8weeks . we have 2 more at 10 and 5 year. So carry on the fight:when i am in remission i could tame a POLAR BEAR when not though i have all on functioning ,thats when i could not even train a psychiatrist:wacko::wacko::wacko:Braindead With out sounding offensive (which I am not) that is a strange statement to make sort of stereotyping in a way if you follow :) Is that because we have MH conditions 'we' collectively must be in hospital typing away on here Lol Tbh yes I have had a spell my self in hospital but that was years ago never to come back it's a closed door for me now :) Take care Cheers

---------- Post added at 18:59 ---------- Previous post was at 18:48 ----------

You obviously have great experience with dog training-I'm sure you could support Katie really well on this thread with helpful advice?Tbh Pulisa think there a quite a few dogs owners on here that could also offer good advice too :) As for Bipolar my niece has it think it' only mild and not sure if it can get worse etc? So hope braindead can get some let up from his condition truly awful it must be! Cheers

pulisa
28-08-17, 19:32
Of course there are, yourself very much included BB.

I don't like "labels"-we are all more than our various diagnoses. Not everyone chooses to disclose and people can still try to support whilst going through major challenges themselves. Sometimes it can be therapeutic.

Bigboyuk
28-08-17, 19:58
Of course there are, yourself very much included BB.

I don't like "labels"-we are all more than our various diagnoses. Not everyone chooses to disclose and people can still try to support whilst going through major challenges themselves. Sometimes it can be therapeutic.
Yes I see that pulisa sure and at different rates of recovery too it's a massive improvement for me after years of feeling worthless etc sure after all it's a open forum for any one to see and not just members either Any way back on topic! I was in the early days of dog ownership so stressed and ready to give up, really glad I didn't though 100% :yesyes: CHeers

MyNameIsTerry
29-08-17, 01:51

I would say most on here are suffering from what falls into the HA bracket more than GAD. OCD on here is clearly about health rather than the many other themes. But it's not mild, there are moderate-severe on here too. Some are severe and obsessional so they can be on here following their pattern constantly whereas some couldn't cope being on here when severe. I fall into the latter, there is no way you would have seen me on here back then, although I did watch now & then. This place would be too stressful for me then, any messaging or calls were a nightmare for me.

Some are in & out of hospital but it's the few.

Anyway, nothing wrong with differences in opinion. Like I said, I agree with you when it comes to someone being too ill but that's for the OP to decide. If she has been able to get a pet, chances are it's a spike due to the pressure as I bet people so severe they truly couldn't cope would have struggled getting through the process of ownership let alone the hard work that comes afterwards.

So, no need to leave us, Brian. :hugs:

---------- Post added at 01:51 ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 ----------

Pulisa,

I'm sorry to hear you have lost one of your piggies. :hugs::flowers: Did your daughter take it hard? Was it Mandril with him needing the extra care? I guess it's a constant worry with little pets with the reduced lifespan and anything that needs treating being so risky.

I bet your daughter will love your new youngster. Is she coping with the change?

Katie80
29-08-17, 03:06
Thanks guys. Its nice to hear a little of your stories as well as advice. Braindead, i think we got off on the wrong foot. Im not totally unfunctional, but I am on disability for my anxiety/panic issues. I am on medication for that and depression. Which I think is brought on by all the anxiety issues. When I wasn't on my depression meds I wouldn't have even thought about a dog. Not crying and getting out of bed was my biggest concern. Now that that seems to be more even, with me not working the animals give me something to do. The dog was a big decision and it is hard on my anxiety now, but training and taking her out with me and feeling a little bit of progress at a time is helping. New purpose and breaking out of my seclusion a bit. And mighty mouse, i definitely understand. My neighbors call me the recluse lol. My fear isn't really the outdoors though, its more about the people out there. I start to feel trapped if i get stuck in a conversation. So the dog walking is really pushing my limits because everyone wants to stop and talk and pet her. Its also an easy way to ease into interation though because after a minute i can just use her as an excuse to get away like " well gotta go she needs to walk".

pulisa
29-08-17, 08:31
Terry, thank you for asking about Mandril. Sadly I had to have him put to sleep earlier this year as he developed 2 more bladder stones despite the special diet and filtered water and I didn't want to put him through further major surgery when the stones would inevitably return in a short space of time. This was another piggy who was paired up with Fergus and who was only 2. It was very traumatic and involved a trip to out of hours emergency vets who were useless and sent Zebedee home. The next morning I took him to my regular vet who diagnosed a large dental mass which turned out to be completely inoperable so we had him put to sleep during the op..It was awful but I took up Zeb's case with the emergency vets and they eventually admitted that "things were missed". Hell yeah.

Baby Felix has been a blessing after the initial rejection by my daughter because he wasn't Zebedee.

braindead
29-08-17, 10:22
Thanks guys. Its nice to hear a little of your stories as well as advice. Braindead, i think we got off on the wrong foot. Im not totally unfunctional, but I am on disability for my anxiety/panic issues. I am on medication for that and depression. Which I think is brought on by all the anxiety issues. When I wasn't on my depression meds I wouldn't have even thought about a dog. Not crying and getting out of bed was my biggest concern. Now that that seems to be more even, with me not working the animals give me something to do. The dog was a big decision and it is hard on my anxiety now, but training and taking her out with me and feeling a little bit of progress at a time is helping. New purpose and breaking out of my seclusion a bit. And mighty mouse, i definitely understand. My neighbors call me the recluse lol. My fear isn't really the outdoors though, its more about the people out there. I start to feel trapped if i get stuck in a conversation. So the dog walking is really pushing my limits because everyone wants to stop and talk and pet her. Its also an easy way to ease into interation though because after a minute i can just use her as an excuse to get away like " well gotta go she needs to walk".:bighug1:

---------- Post added at 10:22 ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 ----------

Braindead With out sounding offensive (which I am not) that is a strange statement to make sort of stereotyping in a way if you follow :) Is that because we have MH conditions 'we' collectively must be in hospital typing away on here Lol Tbh yes I have had a spell my self in hospital but that was years ago never to come back it's a closed door for me now :) Take care Cheers

---------- Post added at 18:59 ---------- Previous post was at 18:48 ----------

Tbh Pulisa think there a quite a few dogs owners on here that could also offer good advice too :) As for Bipolar my niece has it think it' only mild and not sure if it can get worse etc? So hope braindead can get some let up from his condition truly awful it must be! Cheers
BIGBOYUK never say never your never cured only in remission:shades:

pulisa
29-08-17, 12:58
Katie, social anxiety is a big challenge but getting a dog is a great way to engage with other dog owners on your own terms and for as little or as long as you want. Take things at your own pace. I used to spend a lot of time at the vets and it was a good place to chat about your pets if you wanted to.

Brian, we all have different views on "recovery"/"remission". It's what it means to us that is important.

Bigboyuk
29-08-17, 13:41
:bighug1:

---------- Post added at 10:22 ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 ----------

BIGBOYUK never say never your never cured only in remission:shades:Sure Braindead but saying that replapses do happen from time to time but I am keeping the hospital route firmly closed now as this was over 2 decades ago so on wards and upwards I say :) Cheers

braindead
29-08-17, 14:45
https://www.facebook.com/brian.fox.5059/posts/1648898638454039

KK77
29-08-17, 14:48
https://www.facebook.com/brian.fox.5059/posts/1648898638454039

Wow! What beautiful mutts :D

braindead
29-08-17, 14:51
https://www.facebook.com/brian.fox.5059/posts/1648898638454039 these are my Patterdale terriers, the first little dog is meg she has had 3 litters of pups, the second black dog is gem she was 1 of megs first litter pup. and the big lad is my BUDDY , sorry my eyes are near closed the meds i take there never open:shades:

---------- Post added at 14:51 ---------- Previous post was at 14:50 ----------

:bighug1:
Wow! What beautiful mutts :D

Bigboyuk
29-08-17, 15:04
https://www.facebook.com/brian.fox.5059/posts/1648898638454039 these are my Patterdale terriers, the first little dog is meg she has had 3 litters of pups, the second black dog is gem she was 1 of megs first litter pup. and the big lad is my BUDDY , sorry my eyes are near closed the meds i take there never open:shades:

---------- Post added at 14:51 ---------- Previous post was at 14:50 ----------

:bighug1:Nice Braindead Don't know why I thought you had bully breed as well! What are they like to train. Had a lady on Dogforum.co.uk that had a Patterdale terrier and it was called Nellie the amount of trouble she had with that one was legendary to say the least :) She nicknamed it her Gremlin ha ha Cheers

Elen
29-08-17, 15:17
I love Patterdales.

My little one competed at agility in championship classes and also at Crufts.

She is pure terrier, fiesty and opinionated and was a brilliant competition dog up until the day she retired.

More importantly she is also my soul mate and hot water bottle.

Bigboyuk
29-08-17, 15:52
I love Patterdales.

She is pure terrier, fiesty and opinionated and was a brilliant competition dog up until the day she retired.

More importantly she is also my soul mate and hot water bottle. That's way :shades:Elen My Stafford Bull Terrier she is now nearly 10 TBH wasn't keen on her sleeping up stairs but has been for a while now and love it :)
She has to lie on my foot/feet just to be close and have found if I wiggle my feet under the covers (she lies on top of the covers) she will snort out of contentment she has been my rock though the bad days :yesyes: Cheers

braindead
29-08-17, 18:05
Nice Braindead Don't know why I thought you had bully breed as well! What are they like to train. Had a lady on Dogforum.co.uk that had a Patterdale terrier and it was called Nellie the amount of trouble she had with that one was legendary to say the least :) She nicknamed it her Gremlin ha ha Cheers

TOUGH LOVE to start with has a pup, strict but show love to, they go through a crazy period after all they are from working terriers, after that they would die for you. BUDDY, the chocolate dog is all my grandkids favourite. he pulls on the leash with me but he walks by there side when they walk him.:shades:

---------- Post added at 18:05 ---------- Previous post was at 17:53 ----------

I love Patterdales.

More importantly she is also my soul mate and hot water bottle.

little megs pups, most went to the forestry commission has Ranger buddies, i sold a farmer a pup he sent me pics with his dog in the tractor with him every day the only dog that ever slept in his house, his 2 farm dogs sleep outside

Bigboyuk
29-08-17, 19:34
TOUGH LOVE to start with has a pup, strict but show love to, they go through a crazy period after all they are from working terriers, after that they would die for you. BUDDY, the chocolate dog is all my grandkids favourite. he pulls on the leash with me but he walks by there side when they walk him.:shades:

---------- Post added at 18:05 ---------- Previous post was at 17:53 ----------

little megs pups, most went to the forestry commission has Ranger buddies, i sold a farmer a pup he sent me pics with his dog in the tractor with him every day the only dog that ever slept in his house, his 2 farm dogs sleep outsideAbsolutely I learnt that. Love is essential too :) That's :shades: Guess he can get away with pulling when you take him out, My dog used to pull a heck of a lot no need to by special harnesses (most of the time she is off leash any way now) but when I do put a lead and she pulls I simple stop walking she looks at me as if to say why have you stopped LOL she is so good now it takes time and patience for sure many will end up in dog shelters sadly though.Cheers

Katie80
30-08-17, 00:09
Well today was sort of a bad day for me. Training is really hard. I dont know if this is a normal thought, but sometimes i just dont think she loves or more, respects me enough to want to listen to. This is my first dog so i dont know what im doing really. Maybe braindead was right. I dont know. And i think the cat is making little bits of progress, but i miss him and i cant get him to see that the dog is not a threat. I just know they would be great friends if he would just loosen up a bit. Im juat horrible with situations i cant control. What if my cat never comes around? Then i will feel like the biggest a**hole in the world if i have to give the dog back. Im just freaking out a bit today.

MyNameIsTerry
30-08-17, 05:19
See how you feel the next day. Having a bad day clouds everything and we focus more on the negatives.

Your dog is still learning at this stage but I'm in no doubt she loves you, they just do. They're like kids, they get upset when punished but minutes later they love you again.

Respect will be there if you are firm but fair with her.

Maybe your cat just needs more time to adjust? My GF always has several cats and they are territorial but seem to adjust to each other with the occasional spat here and there.

pulisa
30-08-17, 08:17
Would you be able to get some help from your vet or veterinary nurse? My vet practice holds puppy training classes and the nurse is always happy to give helpful advice? This is all new territory for you so is bound to be unnerving if you feel unsure and out of your comfort zone-anyone would.

I do hope today is better for you. I have no knowledge of dogs but just wanted to encourage you not to lose heart. I remember how my neighbour struggled with her new puppy (weeks old when brought home) but things settled and Honey is now a very important family member.

Whatever happens you can't blame yourself because this was a well researched and thought out decision and a dog can bring so much enrichment to your life. Your anxiety will cause you to doubt this but try not to give credence to these negative thoughts?

braindead
30-08-17, 10:13
Absolutely I learnt that. Love is essential too :) That's :shades: Guess he can get away with pulling when you take him out, My dog used to pull a heck of a lot no need to by special harnesses (most of the time she is off leash any way now) but when I do put a lead and she pulls I simple stop walking she looks at me as if to say why have you stopped LOL she is so good now it takes time and patience for sure many will end up in dog shelters sadly though.Cheers
BUDDY always pulls when going out he is excited, soon has he in his stride he chills out and walks at my pace, he is still a pup at 13 months . With this breed there constantly looking for a squirrel or rat. When a pup of 3 months i tried him with a choker chain to break his pulling habit. He still pulled and would make himself sick , carry on and be sick again. it didnt bother him at all , so i put his collar back on . When your in the woods you let a Patterdale off and they vanish. A mile or so on they all pop out back by my side , what they get up to is anybody's guess :shrug:

---------- Post added at 10:13 ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 ----------

Well today was sort of a bad day for me. Training is really hard. I dont know if this is a normal thought, but sometimes i just dont think she loves or more, respects me enough to want to listen to. This is my first dog so i dont know what im doing really. Maybe braindead was right. I dont know. And i think the cat is making little bits of progress, but i miss him and i cant get him to see that the dog is not a threat. I just know they would be great friends if he would just loosen up a bit. Im juat horrible with situations i cant control. What if my cat never comes around? Then i will feel like the biggest a**hole in the world if i have to give the dog back. Im just freaking out a bit today.
MABYE your dog doesn't no love , many rescue dogs have been mistreated that why they end up in the kennels, did you ask about her background, you have to show her love, then you will receive it back if she hasnt been damaged.:hugs:

Bigboyuk
30-08-17, 10:57
Well today was sort of a bad day for me. Training is really hard. I dont know if this is a normal thought, but sometimes i just dont think she loves or more, respects me enough to want to listen to. This is my first dog so i dont know what im doing really. Maybe braindead was right. I dont know. And i think the cat is making little bits of progress, but i miss him and i cant get him to see that the dog is not a threat. I just know they would be great friends if he would just loosen up a bit. Im juat horrible with situations i cant control. What if my cat never comes around? Then i will feel like the biggest a**hole in the world if i have to give the dog back. Im just freaking out a bit today. HI Katie sorry you are having bad time at the mo, don't think the issue is with the dog, neither is it one of your cats, sure if your dog was harassing your cat(s) then you would need help, it's Iam afraid a waiting game for the cat to feel it's ok to venture out give it time, you already say one of your cats is ok hanging out with your dog to some degree the other cat will see this and eventually accept there is no threat to it Give it time hun:hugs:Concerntraite on your new dog teach him many great things :) Cheers

Katie80
30-08-17, 21:55
Thanks everyone. Today is better. We got some serious exercise earlier and i think both me and Charcoal are feeling better. Im going to get a new leash/collar situation to help train her on her leash that a friend raved about and see what happens. As for the cat, he has the place to himself all night. Ill see where he is in a couple of weeks as far as coming out in the daytime. I hope he comes around. Yesteday was just hard. Some days just everything hits u at once.

braindead
31-08-17, 09:05
Thanks everyone. Today is better. We got some serious exercise earlier and i think both me and Charcoal are feeling better. Im going to get a new leash/collar situation to help train her on her leash that a friend raved about and see what happens. As for the cat, he has the place to himself all night. Ill see where he is in a couple of weeks as far as coming out in the daytime. I hope he comes around. Yesteday was just hard. Some days just everything hits u at once. Let Charcoal lounge on the couch with you at night while you watch TV, you can give him some love while he chills at the side of you. IF you dont like him on the couch just put a dog blanket on his side that keeps your couch free from dog hair.

braindead
04-09-17, 09:20
WHAT has happened to KATIE8O and her dog CHARCOLE ?????????????

Bigboyuk
04-09-17, 11:22
WHAT has happened to KATIE8O and her dog CHARCOLE ????????????? Dunno Braindead, you could send her pm I guess :) Cheers

DREAMER05
16-09-17, 03:05
Hi Katie!

I went through the same thing when I got my pup. I freaked out and my anxiety took over my life. I had several panic attacks and lots of crying. My pup came home 8/1/17. To be completely honest you will adjust and you will love him sooo much! I'm sure your second cat will come along. As long as they're not fighting each other I think you'll be fine.

The huge change in routine is what set me off. Also the responsibility. Which with time gets easier and easier. PM me if you ever wanna chat.

This too shall pass!

braindead
16-09-17, 09:25
Hi Katie!

I went through the same thing when I got my pup. I freaked out and my anxiety took over my life. I had several panic attacks and lots of crying. My pup came home 8/1/17. To be completely honest you will adjust and you will love him sooo much! I'm sure your second cat will come along. As long as they're not fighting each other I think you'll be fine.

The huge change in routine is what set me off. Also the responsibility. Which with time gets easier and easier. PM me if you ever wanna chat.

This too shall pass!

KATIE has vanished , and i bet so has the DOG :wacko:

KK77
07-10-17, 00:43

I think you are right Brian. Such is life :shrug:

MyNameIsTerry
07-10-17, 02:03

Very few people give updates. People joining solely for an issue are less likely to be sticking around.

pulisa
07-10-17, 08:12
She's got no reason to post an update really. I hope Katie and Charcoal are still together and doing well but we'll probably never know. At least Katie got some feedback and encouragement from us. If she had to part company with Charcoal she'll have done so responsibly and after giving it much thought I'm sure.

braindead
07-10-17, 09:53
I think you are right Brian. Such is life :shrug:

Everything was wrong in her house 2 cats for starters, a dog that was way to big , plus she new nothing about dogs. Its a shame for the dog getting moved about you have to be %100 or dont even think about it , ----ITS SAD:wacko:

pulisa
07-10-17, 12:58
But we don't know that she has given up the dog, Brian. You are just assuming this because she hasn't updated us but she has no obligation to continue posting.

Bigboyuk
07-10-17, 13:14
Iam with pulisa on this we can presume but we don't know the facts! Also not everything was wrong so she had cats there's neighbours in my street with cats and dogs think there a bit of overthinking going on here mind you I do hope she will post again if needed :) And if any one is concerned why not send a pm etc that's what pm's are for.Cheers

braindead
07-10-17, 17:09
But we don't know that she has given up the dog, Brian. You are just assuming this because she hasn't updated us but she has no obligation to continue posting.

PULISA you are whistling in the wind , she would still be asking countless questions, let it go my friend:wacko:

Midnight-mouse
07-10-17, 17:11
PULISA you are whistling in the wind , she would still be asking countless questions, let it go my friend:wacko:

I wouldn’t normally do this because frankly it’s Katie’s choice to update you but I know if I came back and saw all this I would be quite upset by the assumptions that have been made, I have talked to Katie since and she and the dog are still together.

braindead
07-10-17, 17:16
Iam with pulisa on this we can presume but we don't know the facts! Also not everything was wrong so she had cats there's neighbours in my street with cats and dogs think there a bit of overthinking going on here mind you I do hope she will post again if needed :) And if any one is concerned why not send a pm etc that's what pm's are for.Cheers

BIGBOYUK you send a PM i dont give a toss, i already no the answer, the dog has been passed around again poor bleeder :wacko::wacko::wacko:

---------- Post added at 17:16 ---------- Previous post was at 17:13 ----------

I wouldn’t normally do this because frankly it’s Katie’s choice to update you but I know if I came back and saw all this I would be quite upset by the assumptions that have been made, I have talked to Katie since and she and the dog are still together.

i would love to see that post, I HAVE TALKED TO KATIE a nice pic of her and her dog would be loverly:wacko::wacko::wacko:

pulisa
07-10-17, 17:57
I'm very glad to hear that Midnight-mouse. Good for Katie. Even if she felt she had to give up Charcoal she shouldn't be judged for that.

---------- Post added at 17:57 ---------- Previous post was at 17:55 ----------

Katie can make her own choices on whether to update us or not.

Bigboyuk
07-10-17, 18:07
BIGBOYUK you send a PM i dont give a toss, i already no the answer, the dog has been passed around again poor bleeder :wacko::wacko::wacko:

---------- Post added at 17:16 ---------- Previous post was at 17:13 ----------

i would love to see that post, I HAVE TALKED TO KATIE a nice pic of her and her dog would be loverly:wacko::wacko::wacko: Nah I don't believe that braindead especially as another member has already made contact with Katie and has been told on here is all fine :) Dream on ahh Cheers

ivanmiller
07-10-17, 22:01
According to my experience during the time I had anxiety, puppies can only help you with it if they are puppies you can have inside your home so that you can spend considerable time with them. Otherwise, they will only equal more work to do and stress.

braindead
08-10-17, 08:53
Nah I don't believe that braindead especially as another member has already made contact with Katie and has been told on here is all fine :) Dream on ahh Cheers
Your are a good soul BIGBOYUK but its easy to post a pic of charcoal, its not a dont believe midnight mouse. but Katie could have told her anything. KATIE if you out there drop us a line i would love to hear all about charcoal:whistles:

Elen
08-10-17, 09:07
I am going to close this thread now.

If Kate wishes it re-opened drop me a pm.

Elen