PDA

View Full Version : Do you find making friends harder the older you get ?

SHYGIRLAJB
25-08-17, 18:25
Hi Everyone

Do you find , the older you get the harder it is to make friends .. . At least when I was at school I did make some friends ... Sadly now they are more like people I just know rather than friends .... Now it's where do you begin , lol .... The things I like , are kind of things that seem immature to some people , or other peoples similar to my age kids do ... (play on Xbox) ....

It is very hard when you are socially awkward and don't go out ... The joys of social anxiety, meh .....

I dunno ...

charliepanayi
25-08-17, 19:51
Yeah, I find it gets especially hard once you hit your 30s. So many people are settled down by then.

Pipsy
27-08-17, 23:35
Yes Me too I'm 44 and really struggle x

Bee84
28-08-17, 09:48
Me too. I've always loved video games it's not a pastime that hurts anyone :) I'm in my 30s and many of my age group are single parents/married to their career etc. Or married/with partners and kids. So I'm not too fussed about finding friends because of what other people are doing. A lot of them are conformists so may be miserable. The way I see it, the world and myself are constantly changing so I'm just good as I am right now, this is what I'm going through because I continue to choose it and I'll change again when the time comes.

So if I live long enough I'll probably have friends again and no social anxiety because they can never last forever. I'm currently not craving massive amounts of human contact I can't force myself although I do talk to family members. I dropped most of my few friends the last 5 years because of disrespect. It was my choice to do that.

On the plus side, I'm an introvert so like being alone most of the time that inner life is my real world and I really wouldn't want to be anyone else.

Hollow
28-08-17, 10:14
That is very true, the friendships you make in school and to a lesser extent in college are the ones that usually last the the test of time. After that you might come across people that you get on with, but they are more like acquaintances rather than friends and you will lose touch with them sooner or later.

Bigboyuk
28-08-17, 11:03
Very true Charliepanayi Don't think it's just that though many factors come in to play could even be down to our MH conditions that we have acquired along the way, that actually stop us from making friends etc. And yeah doesn't seem to get any easier as you do get older ahh. Cheers

BigBoiBenzo
06-09-17, 10:22
yes. the older you get the more experience u gather and the more u realise who "you" are. it becomes much easier to identify people u won't click with in the long run so you tend to cut off people faster after the first few red flags

Catherine S
06-09-17, 12:59
For me, making friends as ive got older doesn't seem as important as when I was younger.... friends in real life I mean, people to hang out with so to speak. I'm not so bored with my own company as an older person like I could often be back then, so I don't crave having a circle of friends. But now that I'm much older I can officially use the word 'potter' so i'm happy pottering and mooching about on my own lol!

However, the occasional rock concert is a welcome distraction from all the pottering :D

Cath S

Bigboyuk
06-09-17, 13:16
yes. the older you get the more experience u gather and the more u realise who "you" are. it becomes much easier to identify people u won't click with in the long run so you tend to cut off people faster after the first few red flags Well sometimes this maybe true! But not always and especially for people with MH conditions it can become harder to identify potential friends well it is for me. Cheers

---------- Post added at 13:16 ---------- Previous post was at 13:13 ----------

For me, making friends as ive got older doesn't seem as important as when I was younger.... friends in real life I mean, people to hang out with so to speak. I'm not so bored with my own company as an older person like I could often be back then, so I don't crave having a circle of friends. But now that I'm much older I can officially use the word 'potter' so i'm happy pottering and mooching about on my own lol!

However, the occasional rock concert is a welcome distraction from all the pottering :D

Cath SHi Cath Iam the opposite it's very important for me to get new friends have done many years of pottering about on my own and I hate it
Only the other day Sunday just gone I met with the walk leader (MH Mates Walks) for a coffee it was great to be with some one I could interact with some one decent for a change :) So for me it's very important Cath Cheers

Catherine S
06-09-17, 13:34
Im glad your walks are going well for you Dave...hats off to you for getting out there, although it'll be hats definately on pretty soon, gloves too :) Getting together in a walking group appeals to me yes, in fact any sort of group activity just to have that kind of camaraderie sounds great.

Cath ☺

Bigboyuk
06-09-17, 13:39
Im glad your walks are going well for you Dave...hats off to you for getting out there, although it'll be hats definately on pretty soon, gloves too :) Getting together in a walking group appeals to me yes, in fact any sort of group activity just to have that kind of camaraderie sounds great.

Cath ☺ Thank you Cath just means I have a little less isolation (on my own) Have you checked out their website yet and even if there are no walks in your area it's fairly easy via the website to get one going :) Cheers

MariosK39
20-09-17, 14:54
Hi Everyone

Do you find , the older you get the harder it is to make friends .. . At least when I was at school I did make some friends ... Sadly now they are more like people I just know rather than friends .... Now it's where do you begin , lol .... The things I like , are kind of things that seem immature to some people , or other peoples similar to my age kids do ... (play on Xbox) ....

It is very hard when you are socially awkward and don't go out ... The joys of social anxiety, meh .....

I dunno ...

Of course it does! Your immediate social circle pretty much gets reduced to your co-workers and/or your family. It's natural!