PDA

View Full Version : Internal bleeding from keys scratching stomach while walking in door?

scaredpt
26-08-17, 19:30
Hi all so I was opening a hard to open door today and when I opened it I kind of bumped into the key that was in the doorknob. I was wondering if I could have internal bleeding in the stomach from this? The area was a bit red after I bumped into the keys. I'm home alone and super scared I'll die from this

Fishmanpa
26-08-17, 19:35
Just want to be clear here. You "kind of bumped into the key" while walking through the door and you believe you'll have internal bleeding and die?

Positive thoughts

ocdbaking
26-08-17, 19:36
"Kind of" bumped. So not much of a bump then.

Think about this logically - you've slightly knocked yourself with your keys in the door. You're not going to bleed internally from something so minor!

scaredpt
26-08-17, 19:44
I walked RIGHT into it. There was a big red mark, so im worried this could be considered a trauma to the stomach.

Rationally, I bet a lot of people walk into their keys when they open a tough door but irrationallly im panicking

Catherine S
26-08-17, 19:56
Things like a car slamming into you as you cross the street would result in internal bleeding. A door key leaving a red mark isn't on the internal bleeding causes list.

Try to imagine what a doctor in the ER would say to you if you rolled up with this as an emergency...which is what internal bleeding is considered to be by the way. Get on with your day.

:)

Fishmanpa
26-08-17, 19:56
I kind of bumped into the key that was in the doorknob.

I walked RIGHT into it.

Thanks for clarifying :)

Positive thoughts

scaredpt
26-08-17, 20:00
@fishmanpa does the clarification mean i should go to ER? it does seem like a silly thing to go for i just want to be safe!

Fishmanpa
26-08-17, 20:04
@fishmanpa does the clarification mean i should go to ER? it does seem like a silly thing to go for i just want to be safe!

You went from "kind of bumped" to "walked right into it". It means you're in an anxiety spiral. Hope you feel better soon.

Positive thoughts

nomorepanic
26-08-17, 20:28
No you don't need to go to ER

scaredpt
26-08-17, 20:35
I'm still worried because now I have a stomachache

ShaunRyder
26-08-17, 20:42
Your anxiety is prob making you have a funny stomach, not the bump.

Catherine S
26-08-17, 21:14
And the comparison to the car smashing into you obviously didn't even register :shrug: As others have said, you need help with your severe HA.

Take care
Cath S

ServerError
26-08-17, 21:33
Anyone ever go "I have anxiety issues myself, so I won't criticise."?

Don't go to A&E. Go anywhere else, but not A&E.

scaredpt
27-08-17, 01:28
I know it's not not as bad as a car but I keep getting sharp pains around there and am still so scared. It's been about seven hours now-would the bleeding have happened already?

rose1234
27-08-17, 01:55
I'm still worried because now I have a stomachache

Hi Scaredpt,

I think the stomach ache is likely caused by your excessive worrying about the matter, I know when I have something 'wrong' with me I have stomach ache/nausea/indigestion.

If it will make you feel better, get it checked. I don't think it's nessecary but I've been in your position many of times and still am! If it's going to put your mind at rest then do it, because that's the most important thing.

When I was OCD about my health, I paid for a private smear that cost me £150 because I was convinced I had cervical cancer!! I didn't, and everyone thought I was crazy paying all that money for a smear (I'm only 23) but I needed to do it to know I was overreacting, if that makes sense? Since then I've been a little bit better and stress less about minor pains!

Hope this helps! ❤️

Catherine S
27-08-17, 11:03
What I was trying to say...which wasn't a criticism by the way, was that our bodies are stronger than you think. It takes alot to do any real damage inside or outside of it. People here have different levels of health anxiety, some focus on one thing while others focus on everything, and some of us have recovered enough to lead a more or less anx free life.

But hopefully we never lose sight of how bad it can be. However, you're in the clutches of it and can't think clearly, so we are just advising you to seek professional help.

Cath S ☺ x

scaredpt
27-08-17, 15:39
It's been almost 24 hours would the bleeding have happened by now?

I feel like I can't get this anxiety under control. I'm scared of everything. I feel like I see danger everywhere. I posted on another thread, my best friend's dad was found dead a few days ago and it's really set me off. It was a scary situation because the circumstances of death are suspicious and I just feel that danger is everywhere and so little things like this freak me out

ServerError
27-08-17, 15:55
When I was ill with anxiety last year, I felt like I was on the verge of death at all times. I also felt as if everything had a sinister or dangerous quality. Threat was everywhere, which made it hard to leave the house. When my therapist asked me what I was scared of, I couldn't explain it. It was just a relentless feeling of doom.

Anxiety is complex, but a major factor here is the fear centre in the brain. These feelings of doom are just our primitive brains trying to protect us because of a misplaced sense of threat to us. But by altering our thought processes and challenging them, we can gain control over this and gradually convince our brains to relax and turn off the warning lights. It's not easy, and it comes with ups and downs, but it must be done. In fact, we want to live a happy and enjoyable life free from fear and misery and anxiety, we have to learn these new behaviours. The best place to start is with therapy.

Catherine S
27-08-17, 16:43
Your friend's dad...is this the man who went missing the other day? I think I posted on your thread about it. That's really sad, i'm sorry to hear it. This has obviously affected you quite badly so it's not surprising you see danger in everything. But you also recognise that they are irrational fears so that's a good thing and a step forward.

Take care
Cath S x x

NervUs
27-08-17, 17:37

Yes, going to the ER for this is silly. It is more than silly.

EDIT: Just read more of the post and that there might be extenuating circumstances. I'm sorry you are in such a fear state. I get that, and we've all been there. But, resist the temptation to go to the ER. Part of the problem with HA brains is that we perceive danger in everything. You have no reason to go to the er.

scaredpt
28-08-17, 14:27
Thanks for all the comments. Today is my first day of grad school and I really have to focus but I can't get it out of my head that it could be delayed bleeding. I've felt really faint all yesterday and today to the point where I have to sit down.

ServerError
28-08-17, 15:12
You scratched yourself with some keys...

What would your advice be to me if this was my worry?

What would you say to a manual labourer after a day on site who's got cuts all across his hands and a bruise or two on his stomach where he banged himself? What about soldiers?

Either do something to shake yourself, or continue with this illlogical and silly line of thinking, and continue to suffer. Those are your choices.

scaredpt
13-09-17, 18:38
just bumping this...I had another scare. I bumped my laptop pretty hard into my stomach and now am worried I will get the bleeding. Could this happen?

nomorepanic
13-09-17, 18:49
just bumping this...I had another scare. I bumped my laptop pretty hard into my stomach and now am worried I will get the bleeding. Could this happen?

NO

Midnight-mouse
13-09-17, 18:53

Same as previously you would need massive trauma, like being hit by a car type trauma

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishmanpa
13-09-17, 18:57
OK... seriously?... are you pulling our legs? I mean... c'mon now PT!

Positive thoughts

eeyorelover
13-09-17, 19:27
Internal bleeding is caused by one of these:
blunt force trauma - Ex. car accident, serious fall, assault.
penetrating trauma - stabbing, gunshot wound, etc.

You will not have internal bleeding for a superficial bump, scratch, or even if it slices the skin. Has to be penetrating below the subcutaneous layer of skin into the blood vessels. If you hit that hard, you would definitely know the difference.

I understand being anxious about it but honestly you have to work at talking yourself out of the invasive thoughts that are causing you so much stress and worry.
Follow the worrying thought with a positive affirmation. You can even tell yourself the thought is silly if you feel it is. Then move on! Occupy your mind with something else. Doesn't matter what it is. You need to redirect your thoughts.

Hope you feel better soon.
xxx

scaredpt
13-09-17, 20:42
It was a hard bump so I am worried if it counts as blunt force trauma? It's been a few hours and I feel mostly fine but idk I'm scared to think its fine

KK77
13-09-17, 20:46
It was a hard bump so I am worried if it counts as blunt force trauma? It's been a few hours and I feel mostly fine but idk I'm scared to think its fine

"Blunt force" as in high impact/force, not a "bump", Scaredpt :lac:

Gary A
13-09-17, 21:06

Only if by "laptop" you mean shotgun, and by "bumped" you mean fired.

scaredpt
13-09-17, 23:45
it hurts a lot though, im just so worried

Catherine S
13-09-17, 23:52
But you're ignoring what everybody is saying. If you don't believe us, why are you asking us? Why not ask your doctor instead? He'll give you the answer.

Cath S.

Gary A
13-09-17, 23:53
it hurts a lot though, im just so worried

I bet it doesn't hurt that much at all and you're just saying it does so that you can justify this ridiculous concern.

Seriously, how many times can you be told that you're being absurd here?

scaredpt
14-09-17, 01:18
It's so hard, I know I could be being absurd but then being in my body and feeling the feelings I feel, I feel like it is the only answer-that this pain has to be internal bleeding.

Gary A
14-09-17, 01:32
It's so hard, I know I could be being absurd but then being in my body and feeling the feelings I feel, I feel like it is the only answer-that this pain has to be internal bleeding.

No, you are being absurd, it's as simple as that. It's a bit like implying that you'll be knocked out cold by a raindrop hitting the top of your head.

Stop this nonsense.

MyNameIsTerry
14-09-17, 01:59

It's no more absurd than most of the threads on the HA board when you think about it. You've only got to look at the daily stuff about colds, coughs, back pain, tingling, etc to know that one.

One thing I have found is that pain during higher levels of anxiety is amplified. Everytime I have a flare up on this damn med I experience a heightened sense of the daily aches & pains in my body.

But you do need to rationalise what the pain really is. Internal bleeding isn't just a bit of pain, it will be a load I suspect.

Is it the only answer? If it was why are you sitting here talking to us and not rushing yourself to an A&E? Doesn't that show you that you have doubts, it does to me? Reassurance on here wouldn't treat a life threatening injury but it will treat your subconscious need to quell the anxiety.

eeyorelover
15-09-17, 00:59
Honestly since it's been days and you are still obsessing over it, maybe it would do you good to go to your gp and have them take a look. I honestly do not say 'obsessing' to belittle your anxiety about it. It is simply what you are doing at the moment. I've been there!

Terry is right about anxiety amplifying aches and pains. It heightens awareness of everything internal. I used to swear my heart was beating out of my chest. My heart was simply beating like it should but because I was anxious about it, I felt like it had to be abnormal.

I hope you feel better soon.
xxx

au Lait
15-09-17, 01:47
You're anxiety is making you think this is much more than it is. We've all been there, otherwise we wouldn't be posting here. It has been almost 3 weeks since you bumped into your keys. If you had any kind of serious internal bleeding you wouldn't be here typing in this thread. You're still alive and doing fine. It is not possible for you to exert enough force on your own to cause the level of physical damage required to cause internal bleeding.

Anxiety is making you second guess everything. That's all it is. Trust me, I know how you're feeling. Anxiety makes us believe that the impossible is possible. There's no shame in it. It's just the way our brains are wired. But you must try to push past this. You can do it. Know that you are safe. Believe logic above what your anxiety is telling you.

MyNameIsTerry
15-09-17, 02:35
Terry is right about anxiety amplifying aches and pains. It heightens awareness of everything internal. I used to swear my heart was beating out of my chest. My heart was simply beating like it should but because I was anxious about it, I felt like it had to be abnormal.

I can remember lying on my side with my pulse banging in my head. I struggled sleeping because of it. Coming here years later I've seen many threads about exactly this.

The same with sight & sound. The sun and supermarket lighting used to dazzle me. People eating used to really get to me.

Fight or flight enhances the senses, its obvious why it does it, then combine it with the intense focus issue and you get states like this.

The more my anxiety reduced on an overall basis, the more these issues just seemed to go away on their own.

With my adrenaline-like blips, I know when they are coming. Very quickly into it comes an enhanced sense of body pain. Then comes the mental agitation, one of my pet hates!

riversidewalking
15-09-17, 16:23
Hi scaredpt, hope you're calmer by now?
If not, try to look at this from a different perspective:
You bumped into some keys, and you hit your tummy against a laptop.
Compare that to people training in martial arts, getting direct punches and kicks in their belly area. Which case is more likely to suffer internal bleeding?
Keep in mind as well that the belly area has lots of fat around it. It's probably where a quarter or more of the body fat is stored. This acts as a cushion of sorts to minor traumas like the ones you described.
Finally, if you did have internal bleeding, you'd know about it first thing after the incident with your keys. It takes hours at most, not days, to cause issues.
So please relax and enjoy your return to university.

MyNameIsTerry
15-09-17, 18:57
Hi scaredpt, hope you're calmer by now?
If not, try to look at this from a different perspective:
You bumped into some keys, and you hit your tummy against a laptop.
Compare that to people training in martial arts, getting direct punches and kicks in their belly area. Which case is more likely to suffer internal bleeding?
Keep in mind as well that the belly area has lots of fat around it. It's probably where a quarter or more of the body fat is stored. This acts as a cushion of sorts to minor traumas like the ones you described.

And muscle too! Look how many times a boxer gets hit in the stomach with a lot mor force in each match.

eeyorelover
15-09-17, 20:38
I can remember lying on my side with my pulse banging in my head. I struggled sleeping because of it. Coming here years later I've seen many threads about exactly this.

The same with sight & sound. The sun and supermarket lighting used to dazzle me. People eating used to really get to me.

Fight or flight enhances the senses, its obvious why it does it, then combine it with the intense focus issue and you get states like this.

The more my anxiety reduced on an overall basis, the more these issues just seemed to go away on their own.

With my adrenaline-like blips, I know when they are coming. Very quickly into it comes an enhanced sense of body pain. Then comes the mental agitation, one of my pet hates!

Those overhead florescent lights were awful when my anxiety was bad!

As for the enhanced senses, it's like those movies where the person is hiding from some would be killer and they hear every little creek, squeak, and crack! Freaks me out! I can't believe I lived thru feeling that way DAILY at the height of my anxiety!