PDA

View Full Version : Convinced I will die under general anaesthetic

O_O
27-08-17, 07:02
Can anybody tell me whether they've felt something like this before.

I've had a complicated miscarriage. I've taken misoprostol but there is still some tissue remaining. It seems like no matter what I do I'm heading towards a D&C with general anaesthetic. My hospital does not offer local anaesthetic. I've tried getting in contact with private clinics but it's hard to get through as it's the bank holiday weekend. I'm considering asking my GP to transfer me to Birmingham Women's Hospital on Tuesday as they can do the procedure with local anaesthetic. But I'm scared to wait much longer to do something in case things get worse.

I don't know why I'm so convinced that I'll die under general anaesthetic. It seems like no matter what I try I won't be able to escape having it done. My heart rate has been really high for 24 hours since I found out I might have to do this. I feel like I'm having a constant panic attack, except it is based on something tangible! I've never had panic or anxiety like this.

Leah88
27-08-17, 07:13
I had a G.A last month after a 3b labour tear. I thought I would die too. Nope I didn't and neither will you. Even people who have open heart surgery usually don't die these days. It's 2017 man, you'll be fine!

O_O
27-08-17, 07:25
Thanks so much for your reply Leah. Could you tell me more about how you felt?

Sampowell542
27-08-17, 08:58
I ended up having my c section under general and I sobbed my heart out because I was so scared. Woke up 45 mins later completely fine. You'll be fine, just breath and stay calm you can do it.

O_O
27-08-17, 09:21
Thanks for your reply Sam. For me there is no crying... Just an icy, overwhelming feeling of dread and certainty.

Leah88
27-08-17, 11:28
Before or after? Re how I felt?... before, frightened ( I broke down in the surgeons office) and I shook like a leaf all through the prep but the anaesthetic itself was fine. Just a nice sleep. Sorry you lost your baby. When bad things happen I think it makes us feel very fragile and frightened.

Fishmanpa
27-08-17, 14:02
Sadly, I've been under GA more times that I'd like to admit. Even for someone without anxiety it's stressful. What everyone is saying is true. You'll be fine. One thing that really helped me were the really good drugs they gave me prior. Just tell them you're really nervous and to give you something to relax. Once they do, you won't care what they say or do I assure you! ;)

Positive thoughts

NancyW
27-08-17, 14:56
For me there is no crying... Just an icy, overwhelming feeling of dread and certainty.

A couple of years ago I had to have 2 surgeries about 7 months apart. I still don't believe I actually had the courage to do it. That said... if I was told I had to have surgery today, general anesthesia would be the least of my concerns.

You're going to be ok. I hope you'll come back and tell us your experience.

Wish I could get that happy juice we get while waiting to go in, that stuff is awesome lol.

Good thoughts coming your way :-)

lofwyr
27-08-17, 15:20
It is so safe now, compared to previous times. As I have pointed out, you are probably in far greater danger during the drive to the hospital than you are under GA.

wilky44
27-08-17, 17:56
I was like this less than 3 weeks ago for my hernia surgery. Even though it was the 4th time I went under, I was a nervous wreck! In my case, I think it was the fear of somebody else being in control of my body. I also have high blood pressure and an ectopic heartbeat - so if I can get through it - you can too!

The only advice I can give is speak to your anesthetist. They're really good at putting people at ease. Once I spoke to mine, I was reassured straight away. Also, if you want, ask for something to relax you. I was given an injection before the anasthetic which was terrific! Felt like I was tipsy!! Once they inject the anasthetic, kapow, thats it. You won't even have time to think about it. I came round 2 1/2 hours later, and I felt terrific (might have been the fentanyl). I came round at 17.20 and by 17.50 was back in my room, and ten minutes later was having a cuppa and eating sandwiches

They are all professionals, and you're in the best hands. Complications are virtually unheard of, and, most of the ones that happen, are in the elderly and really (and I mean really ill).

NervUs
27-08-17, 17:58
I was put under GA and definitely had the fear of dying on the table. The anaesthesiologist came over to introduce himself and I was smiling when I said it but my first question was, how many people have you killed? LOL.

I came through just fine, but I was very slow to come out of it and slept a ton for a day or two afterwards. Then, once I recovered, I had double vision when reading. I was not expecting that at all and had to google, since the docs gave me NO idea of what recovery would be like. Apparently, the double vision is common, so be sure to ask them what you can expect in terms of side effects. But, you will be fine. They do this EVERY DAY, multiple times a day!!

O_O
27-08-17, 18:24
Thanks Wilky... I guess I'm scared I might be allergic to general anaesthesia or anything! I don't want to even think about how anxious I'm going to be if this really does go ahead in the days leading up to it.

wilky44
27-08-17, 18:37
Im also allergic to penicillin, so if anybody was to have a reaction, I was a prime candidate. Statistically, you're 5 times more likely to be in a serious car crash on the way to the hospital than have a reaction to GA.

Im still here, recovering (from the surgery) and wondering what the fuss was about.

I've seen first hand seriously (and I mean seriously) ill family members have to go back under numerous times, and guess what? They're still here, alive and kicking. My 92 year old gran had a pacemaker fitted under GA, that's how safe it is!

fleurdelis
27-08-17, 23:03
I've been under general anesthetic before, getting a collapsed lung repaired. I was very anxious in the days leading up to the surgery--terrified that I wasn't going to wake up--but it was all fine. Like other people have said, I think you'll find that you actually feel a bit calmer once it's about to happen; the drugs do help, as does meeting and talking to your anesthesiologist--it makes the process a little less abstract and scary.

O_O
14-10-17, 17:15
Haven't had general yet, and still alive... for now. I got transferred to a hospital that could do an MVA under local. They did a scan after and said my womb was clear but four days later I passed another 3cm bit of tissue! They said it must have been low in the cervical canal, so they couldn't spot it. Now my HCG is taking a while to drop. 3 weeks since the last bit of tissue came out, it was at 5. I have everything crossed for another drop to take me under 5 next week. I am terrified of a rise or plateau. It seems like the nightmare cannot end and I must have been right along and I can't escape my fate. My doctor says I have OCD and anxiety and wants to medicate me. I've yet to meet anyone who has described the same "premonition" symptoms as I have though.

Autumn4
14-10-17, 20:41
Well I have severe HA & have had several general anaesthetics & that is the easy bit for me. It is actually very pleasant & when you wake up you don't realise that you have actually been asleep & had surgery apart from any possible pain. It really is v easy & this is from someone who has a real fear of getting an allergic reaction from practically anything. You don't actually feel yourself going to sleep - you just speak to the anaesthetist & then you are awake again !!