PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed in a delay on open heart surgery, odd to feel this way

lofwyr
27-08-17, 15:28
So as some may or may not know, I was diagnosed back in July with an aortic aneurysm of 5 cm I went through two months of tests and appointments, only to be told it was slightly smaller on more accurate tests, being 4.8 cm.

The rest of my heart--and even my aortic valve--are in decent to excellent shape. That should be good news, except insurance won't cover aortic aneurysm repairs under 5 cm unless there are other circumstances (bad valve etc). The surgeon has put me in the monitoring phase, where I get a CT scan every six months until it grows another 1-2 mm.

I had spent two months preparing myself psychologically for open heart surgery. I was even excited to get this behind me. I am not anxious about it now, just frustrated and needing a bit of a vent I guess. I find it odd that I am disappointed putting off major surgery...

SolidSteak
27-08-17, 15:40
I'm very sorry to hear about the delay in your surgery. How are you feeling about it all? If you don't mind me asking how have your family taken the news?

I've always been very curious about aneurysms and have had many worries myself about being diagnosed with one. May I ask how old you were when you got diagnosed with it and how was it found? Did you have symptoms or was it found by luck?

Hope you're staying strong through this tough time and that everything works out well for you in the future!