PDA

View Full Version : WWII, a study into stress, its a control issue then?

Jaco45er
04-06-07, 20:31
Off the back of my other post about the Radio 5 phone in today to do with stress and work, another interesting discussion took place.

During WWII, the RAF was worried about the stress level of pilots and crew of thier bombers, particuarly since duiring the most intense times, a bomber crews life expectancy could be as short as 1 week.

Knowing that the whole procedure of getting a bomber in the air, flying over occupied Europe and carrying out a sortie (mission) mean't that each crew member would have to carry out his duty to the full, and that a failure of this by any member of the crew could in effect render the mission void.

The lady guest did not go into detail about how exactly the tests were carried out to see which crew member had the most stress but the results were interesting:

The Pilot had the least stress

The Navigator was 2nd, and the rest of the crew had higher stress levels.

The rear gunner, he was found to have the most stress/fear on average.

It was concluded that, as the pilot was controlling the plane, and the navigator planned the route, these were considered to be jobs with the most control over the mission.

The rear gunner however, had no real control over the mission, his position and the rear of the plane, mean't that his destiny was controlled but the other crew members at the front of the plane (or if he was really unlucky, the enemy fighter planes on the bombers rear).

This was an early study into stress. From this discussion, many people called in to say that they felt thier manager or boss put too much on them, and this was a factor in thier stress.

So is anxiety merely a loss of control over our lives? or a fear of loss of control.

Who knows.

Jaco

sarah1984
04-06-07, 22:07
That's really interesting-I personally wouldn't have liked to have been up in the air in one of those tiny planes during the war! When I suffered from GAD, one of the most frightening things was my apparent lack of control over my life-it just seemed to go from one disaster to the next and I felt powerless to set my life back on track. I felt that my illness was going to ruin the rest of my life-that I would never graduate, find a job, have my own house/relationship etc. However, with the help of medication, CBT and sheer determination, I've managed to set my life back on track and NMP provided me with a lot of support and advice along the way. Anxiety can be beaten!

clickaway
04-06-07, 22:18
Jaco - very interesting!

Also bear in mind that the rear-gunner was back there on his todd with no company. That reminds me of my anxiety as it gets worse when I have no prospect of company.

All my life I have felt I have not been in control of my life or my feelings. I never 'sorted' life and have drifted through it. And here I am unable to cope, because of the stress.

Incidentally, 7 years ago I spent 6 months clearing out my mum's house (honestly!) after she went in a home. I had lived with her as a child and for many adult years too, but I just got on with the job and the panic attacks that I then had every so often were absent. And when my mum died (by then I had general anxiety), I coped well with the run up to the funeral and was very confident reading the eulogy. In both these cases, I probably had more control than in my everyday hum-drum life in a funny sort of way.

mirry
05-06-07, 07:44
great post, I always feel out of control of my feelings......must look into this subject further, thanks for pointing it out .

Piglet
05-06-07, 10:11
I answered your other thread - saying I think you would quite like some of 'mico's threads cos he likes a good discussion on this sort of thing doesn't he Ray?!!

Piglet :flowers:

Magpie
06-06-07, 13:31
I suppose the situation for those crews is quite exceptional, but it does touch on a truth. Although I think anxiety disorders have a variety of roots from traumatic experiences to thought patterns to genetic factors, I do believe that most sufferers feel worse to varying degrees when they can't control things in their life - and that most non-sufferers are likely to have problematic stress and anxiety when they're not in control of things that are important to them. I know I have some issues around control!

shaz01
06-06-07, 20:08
Hi Jaco,

I found that very interesting and I think a fear of loss of control could be very true. I dont like not having control over things that are happening.

You are definitly giving me something to think about tonight.

Shaz x